DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My buddy and I are in Fairfax and might be interested. He has a canoe. Where will you put in and come out? How long? Just canoeing or do you plan to stop and detect in certain places? If so, where and why?

DCMatt

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to but I'm in NY now.I lived in Locust Grove for 5 years and spent many a day on the Rapidan.Great smallmouth fishing ! There is a place,I forget the name,that have canoe trips on the rapidan and rappahannok every summer.They usualy end at Mott's run I beleve.

OP
OP
F

furmanorange

Dec 22, 2008
Gordonsville , Va
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1000
DCMatt said:
My buddy and I are in Fairfax and might be interested. He has a canoe. Where will you put in and come out? How long? Just canoe or do you plan to stop and detect in certain places? If so, where and why?

DCMatt

I plan on putting my canoe in somewhere around Madison, Va and taking it out on the bridge on 522. not sure how long it will take never been on the River before. I belong to the Contrary Creek Prospectors Organization in Louisa, Va & i have read stories there that there is gold to be found in some of the run offs from the river. Have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Susan

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
furmanorange said:
DCMatt said:
My buddy and I are in Fairfax and might be interested. He has a canoe. Where will you put in and come out? How long? Just canoe or do you plan to stop and detect in certain places? If so, where and why?

DCMatt

I plan on putting my canoe in somewhere around Madison, Va and taking it out on the bridge on 522. not sure how long it will take never been on the River before. I belong to the Contrary Creek Prospectors Organization in Louisa, Va & i have read stories there that there is gold to be found in some of the run offs from the river. Have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Susan

Cool! I Googled "Rapidan River" + gold and got a bunch of hits. Looks like people have been taking gold from the river since the late 1700's. I even found a few posting from a gold forum mentioning recent success (Oct. '08). Sounds like a fun trip.

DCMatt

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va
I just got my early Christmas gift. A gold pan kit and a small slush box but no canoe. lol just getting into the prospecting and would like to give it a try.

vhskip

Greenie
Jan 14, 2007
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
DFX, White's 6000 Di Pro
Several years ago a group of us used to run the Rapidan from RT29 down to the Rappahannoch river taking out at Motts Run. We would do it in 3 days taking our time camping and fishing along the way. I remember thinking I wished I had my MD with me. I'd be interested in canoeing it again. I have a 17ft White Water Canoe, unfortunately I've had to retire it to strickly flat water due to hitting one rock too many. LOL. I'm in Woodbridge/Dale City.

Hey DCMATT and STOGEYJIM, sorry I missed ya'll at Pipsico hunt. Hope to make the Spring trip.

vhskip

Greenie
Jan 14, 2007
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
DFX, White's 6000 Di Pro
I would say if the water level is low enough, one could wade the river detecting along the canoe. Or have one person paddling while the other runs the coil along the bottom.

I have several years of white water canoeing.
Skip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread