Anyone here search the "Big Bethel" Battlefield area of Newport News..???

TiredIron

Mar 10, 2009
Cotopaxi, Colorado
Detector(s) used
CZ-7, F5, FX-3
Anyone here search the "Big Bethel" Battlefield area of Newport News..???

In the early sixties while my father was stationed at Langely Field, we lived on a short street that backed up right to the area known as the "Battle of Big Bethal". There was a black mans cornfield between our house and the reservoir. I was 11-13yrs and most everyday after school I would walk the cut stalk corn rows and always find a few arrow heads. I also found Minnie balls and clay pipe pieces. I sure wish now that I had a metal detector then....as I never realized how important that particular CW battle was. My older brother laughs now and says "If we had known then what we know now, we would have that entire area dug six feet down for a square mile. Using Google Earth I can see that area has been developed now and there are many houses covering the corn field and up to the reservoir.
I'm wondering if anyone here lives in the area today and does any MD'ing there.....worth commenting on?
Adios
TiredIron

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
Re: Anyone here search the "Big Bethal" Battlefield area of Newport News..???

The Battlefield is aactually in Hampton, but really close to NN. As you know, right nest to each other. I have always thought about searching in that area, but a lot has been developed or is owned by the Govt and Langly AF Base. Good to hear that you did find minnies on a property. The property you were on, did you say houses have been built on it. I would love to try and find a few undeveloped holes and try my luck

G

OP
OP
TiredIron

TiredIron

Mar 10, 2009
Cotopaxi, Colorado
Detector(s) used
CZ-7, F5, FX-3
Re: Anyone here search the "Big Bethal" Battlefield area of Newport News..???

They nest so close that my address and mail for the three years we lived there is and was "Newport News". Hampton started about 1/2 mile east. I would admit the dividing line runs directly through the middle of the battle field area.
http://www.civilwarhome.com/bigbethelbattle.htm
Look at the map at top of this site and you will see a yellow area marked "field".
This is the exact field in my back yard I hunted the surface for three years.
Using Google Earth today our house is still there but they have extended the street into the "field" and built houses on both sides.....none of the old field still exists......its a shame. However the finger of water from Big Bethel still extends south behind the houses and would be a good area. While there we found a toppled CW grave marker (we think) in those woods. I can't help but believe that that area and the area on the east side of Bethel Rd......would have to be productive. From the satellite images I can still see the dug entrenchments on that east side. I have threatened to make a trip back there just to look around.
I really wish someone close in the area would....and put my mind at ease.
adios
TiredIron

OP
OP
TiredIron

TiredIron

Mar 10, 2009
Cotopaxi, Colorado
Detector(s) used
CZ-7, F5, FX-3
Re: Anyone here search the "Big Bethel" Battlefield area of Newport News..???

Well......now I look at two other maps and the site "is" in Hampton more than Newport News. Ah well....our mailing address was N.N. 46 years ago. When do you want to go look around there?
Tirediron

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Most of the battle is now under the parks reservoir or on the Federal park property. Years ago in the woods there were several NC buttons found.
It is developed all around now. And pretty much undetectable.
There is a church lot there but they are adamit about not detecting on their property.

fieldboy se va

Feb 4, 2009
southampton CO Va
Detector(s) used
T2, White's Surfmaster PI, HH PI
Re: It just so happens....

That I had 2 uncles wounded there during the battle.They were from Bull Island ( if you are from there you know where that is)
My brother lives about a mile from the place where thw battle took place. You know that most of the orginal battle field is under water
If you are comming from Murcury Blvd down big Bethel rd ...where the road turns to the right along the water there use to be a small park there with a cannon. I was raised in Hampton...Buckroe area

fieldboy se va....Southampton Co. Now

OP
OP
TiredIron

TiredIron

Mar 10, 2009
Cotopaxi, Colorado
Detector(s) used
CZ-7, F5, FX-3

While its true that "a lot" of the battle field in between the lines is under the water, the area where the Union forces formed their line...is not. The neighborhood and strip malls have built up alone B.B. Road but there are areas 100-300yds S.E. that are still wooded areas. I lived 150yrds north of Saunders Rd. and B.B. Road. The original battle maps show that there was a Union Two Gun Artillery implacement pretty much right there pointed east by north east. Behind this whole area 300-400yds west by south west is where the Union camped. I found Minnie Balls and other artifacts...I never found a cannon ball. I was only 11-12 and had no idea what I was really doing or looking at back then.
Give me your brothers approx street address.....i'd like to find it with Google Earth.
adios

TiredIron

Joseph

Jun 18, 2012
Newport News, VA
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be very interested in going to the site for a dig. I think its a great choice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread