Our Southern Highlanders, by Horace Kephart 1913 - Free Book download

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
“Our Southern Highlanders” by Horace Kephart is about the old way of living in what is now the Smoky Mountains. It was first published in 1913 and revised in 1922.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33663466/Our_Southern_Highlanders.pdf

I haven't really started reading this yet, but there's plenty info about the lives of turn of the century mountain folks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a slow read for me, I'm 16 pages deep into it now. I can relate this back to my ancestors. So far, though I'll stop reading for the night, this is almost enchanting - and a very realistic description of what life was like in the mountains of Virginia and North Carolina at the turn of the 20th Century - a hundred years ago.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It's a slow read for me, I'm 16 pages deep into it now. I can relate this back to my ancestors. So far, though I'll stop reading for the night, this is almost enchanting - and a very realistic description of what life was like in the mountains of Virginia and North Carolina at the turn of the 20th Century - a hundred years ago.

VERY similar to Mountain Folks/Communities of Page, Rockingham, Greene Counties in upper Virginia, when FEDS made Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
VERY similar to Mountain Folks/Communities of Page, Rockingham, Greene Counties in upper Virginia, when FEDS made Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway...

Wife & I went up BRP & SNP to Luray, Va. for 3 days "sight-seeing" Oct. 5th-7th. Color change began then; Peak is next 2 weeks. Great Smokies is for B & B in Spring, 2015... then to WESTERN North Carolina; for SILVER MINES!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread