Local MD vendors

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
When I was looking for a new MD, I went online to the main MD companies and found the closest retailers by putting in my zip code. I never went (bought on the web) but there are a few places around.

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Stacylee926 said:
When I was looking for a new MD, I went online to the main MD companies and found the closest retailers by putting in my zip code. I never went (bought on the web) but there are a few places around.

I did the same thing. ended up at Hobbytown in Newport News but they didnt have the detector I wanted in stock so I bought online. They seem to be more of a model building shop and did not have much more detecting stuff to offer.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Not exactly in SE Virginia, but I deal with Bob @ Centreville Electronics here in Manassas. He is an experienced MDer and licensed to sell/repair White's metal detectors. Great guy!........and low prices, compared to the online.
--Mel

borninok

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Madmardigan
I do most of my purchases on line either from KellyCo Detectors or E-Bay. I know Bob at Centreville Electronics in Manassas but was not so pleased with his attitude toward warranty repairs on detectors not purchased from him. I also like the on-line prices from Kellyco. With all the extras that you get when you buy a new detector it is hard to beat. Most of all do your research prior to buying. All warranties are about the same. If you find a dealer that will give you an extended warranty if you feel that you need the security of a warranty then by all means go for it. I have used Whites detectors since 1984 and have only had a pin pointer and coin require service under the warranty. My original Whites 6000 Di III bit the dust after 15 plus years of service with some abuse. If you are relying on your local dealer to give you tips on the use on your detector then I would just ask your questions on line starting right here. You have to remember that most dealers are also TH'ers, and unless they are willing to take you to their good sites most will laugh at the mere mention. If you have a local club then join them and see if anyone will take you under their wing and teach you what you need to know. There are lots of other on-line dealers so research what you want, do your homework and read the feedback on each machine you think you may want. Many times club members will have an old detector that they will let you try out; the biggest problem with this is that unless you can use it for some time you won't be able to learn it in one time out digging.
I hope this info is of some use to you.
Thanks and good luck
Dave
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
There is a White's dealer in Portsmouth - right off High Street in Churchland. Mailbox ...... cannot remember the name. He has a nice little selection of accessories too. Look up White's online then find the local dealer in zip 23703 for locations.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a couple near here other then the ones allready stated:
Ron Aldridge in richmond Aldridges detectors Minelab dealer also Sunray dealer 804-271-9523
Lynnhaven Dive center Great neck road Minelab dealer 757-481-7949

Ron Aldridge has been there for many years Lynnhaven has just started into detectors last year or so mainly dive oreinted...

cobra_jet

Jan 5, 2009
Picket line, Fort Mahone
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug Pro-DP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TheSleeper said:
Ron Aldridge in richmond Aldridges detectors Minelab dealer also Sunray dealer 804-271-9523

Ron Aldridge has been there for many years Lynnhaven has just started into detectors last year or so mainly dive oreinted...

Actually, a minor correction, that's Wayne Aldridge and his business is Aldridge Enterprises. I have bought two machine from him over the last 20 years and am getting ready to buy a 3rd for my son.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can not find you why don't you try Kellyco they advertise here on treasurenet. I have boughten two frm them over the years and been very happy...Matt

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
TheSleeper said:

Thanks for bringing this post back up mlayers.

I've been thinking about a Minelab SE from kellyco but wanted to check one out first. Ill have to check the dive center on one of our trips down there to see what they have. thanks sleeper

VATUGMGR

Greenie
Aug 18, 2008
Hampton Roads
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to agree with the KellyCo recommendation. I have purchased three from them and have never been disappointed with the service or the extra stuff. They have a special now that if you purchase a certain detector you can have a free low end model (good for kids) and only pay the shipping. The Va Beach store (US Hobbies or something to that affect) mostly deals in Whites and a few accessories, but they are more centered on the RC thing. KellyCo adds an additional two year extended service plan to the Minelab products and you can arrange fast shipping if you are willing to cover the cost. Good luck :thumbsup:

VATUG

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VATUGMGR said:

I have to agree with the KellyCo recommendation. I have purchased three from them and have never been disappointed with the service or the extra stuff. They have a special now that if you purchase a certain detector you can have a free low end model (good for kids) and only pay the shipping. The Va Beach store (US Hobbies or something to that affect) mostly deals in Whites and a few accessories, but they are more centered on the RC thing. KellyCo adds an additional two year extended service plan to the Minelab products and you can arrange fast shipping if you are willing to cover the cost. Good luck :thumbsup:

VATUG

Hey - Thanks for all the Kellyco-love Guys!!! I just popped in to say that the Minelab ESP additional warranty that we give away for free is ending soon... as in... a week! They won't even be available from Minelab anymore after that - so no buying them OR getting them for free, so if you are considering a Minelab and want to get in on this extra warranty, do it fast! And if you just bought one make sure you get everything done so that this extra warranty is valid!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions