Lets get a current roster going!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK any and all stick swingers in Virginia sound off, lets get a current roster going so anyone interested in hooking up or hunting together can connect. Some of these postings are centuries old so lets see who is still active.

Post your location, plus how far your willing to travel and days best suited

Ken Chesapeake va. 2 hours, weekends

Been doing beach and water work last five years, had a stick in my hand for close to 50 years, getting back into relic hunting, researching new areas now for spring.

Please if you are not willing or interested in connecting with other hunters in Virginia do not post, this is a thread for hunters to be able to connect and hunt together.

If someone invites you to one of their spots respect that privilege, never go back without their permission, that's called sniping and is frowned upon. If you see someone hunting an area, do not assume it means that is an open area and jump in, again that's also called sniping, stop and chat with them(without your detector), perhaps it might open doors once closed and you perhaps may make new friends. Also remember none of us own a spot, the land holder owns it, not us.

SO sound off guys and gals lets get some numbers here. :thumbsup:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya,if someone shows someone a place, it doesn't automatically make it their own to go whenever they please without at least talking to the person who showed them,that is just rude!what do you call it when someone takes someone to a place but they never take them to one of their own in return?Don't know if you guys got a name for it, but I call it a a.ss.hole:laughing7:joe, Spotsy VA.Not interested in hooking up with anyone to hunt but I'll give your post a bump anyway.-HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheSleeper

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Dig, I don't want this thread to get off course so I'll make my reply short and to the point.

I would hope that anyone who post here would be willing to share their spots with a person who took them to their spots.

Dig, I'm working on 5 spots right now, all were HQ sites, once I get them located and permissions granted, I would be honored to have you come hunt with me.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New VA. rookie and I don't have any spots to hunt. But, I would sure like to go hunting. I can hunt any day except Sundays. Willing to drive up to 50-75 miles. Reminds me of years ago. Had a friend(?) that bought a detector and was looking for places to hunt. I had just been given permission to hunt an old stage coach stop on private land. Got a couple of IH's first time out. So my, "friend" stops by and wants to tag along with me. So, we go out and on the way home I point out to him where the stage stop was at. Told him I would see if I could get permission for him to join me. Two days later he's at my house showing me a gold coin he had found at the stage stop. I couldn't believe it. That was the end of a long friendship. So...I can see why some guys aren't very eager to share honey holes. Which in turn makes it hard for an honest person to make any inroads.

OP
OP
TheSleeper

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry that happened to you johnny, I know it leaves a foul taste in your mouth. I personally know 5 or 6 locations (fantastic ones at that) but out of respect to the person that allowed me to hunt with them, I will not step foot on those spots again unless its with him. This hurts a lot because I don't even know if he is still in the area, he just sorta dropped off the face of the earth year or so ago, don't even know how to get in touch with him, nothing. But out of respect I stay off those spots.

swVa

Feb 16, 2015
Christiansburg Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Christiansburg in the New River Valley. Could travel an hour on weekends.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
SWVA near the home of JEB Stuart - retired and "homesteading".

Roanoke and Danville issue permits to hunt their parks. Roanoke Parks & Recreation via e-mail, and Danville Parks & Recreation = apply in person. Christiansburg parks are open to detecting - as I've been told. State property is a no-no.

And, swVa, welcome to the forum.

swVa

Feb 16, 2015
Christiansburg Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep seeker, are you familiar with any laws in Radford or Pulaski? I have permission to search a farm in Newbern; and I know there was the battle at Cloyds Mtn. And the battle at New River Bridge.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Cloyds Mtn is on private land, and as I understand it - it has been searched before.

If you're in Pearisburg, Route 100 towards Dubln. That tall mountain the road crosses, and start your descent down towards the airport, I've been told the battlefield is in the pasture over on the right. I'd not heard about the battle at New River Bridge, but I think it was in Radford where the Union forces burned the bridge across the New River. I'm not from that area, but did work a spell in Narrows at the Celco plant.

I'm not familiar with the laws in Radford & Pulaski.

OP
OP
TheSleeper

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Dig, johnny, sw and Deep for coming in here and posting. Whether anyone hooks up with another hunter or not doesn't matter, if we can grow this thread so that all Virginians step in here to chat, discuss info or even just BS it will be great. Thank you all again.:thumbsup:

PS: Please spread the word to any other Virginia hunters you know, ask them to step in and voice their opinion or just to chit chat.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
PS: Please spread the word to any other Virginia hunters you know, ask them to step in and voice their opinion or just to chit chat.

When I first joined Tnet, I looked into the Virginia forum and there's an ancient (in modern terms) thread asking the same. Got about the same number of responses as you have here on this thread. And then the thread died.

Hope it travels further this time!

Deep

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Brad and I have been MDing for only about 2 months. I haven't had time to find/research anything that has resulted in what anyone would call a honey hole. Mostly clad and a couple inexpensive rings. I did get 1 IH, but it is in really bad shape. Can't even tell the date, but certain it is an IH. I live in Suffolk, VA and am willing to drive an hour or 2 if I have a little notice. I mostly go digging on 1 day of the weekend; Saturday or Sunday doesn't matter as long as it is only 1 day per weekend. The other day is reserved for family. I was able to track down a few maps of the local area but don't have the modern overlays to narrow down good hunting areas. I look forward to maybe hooking up with some folks from VA. I have a friend that also does MD and has been doing so for many years. I'll ask if he wants to sign in on this link too.

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Chester Virginia. I have some sites in Dinwiddie, Hopewell, Chester. Have been hunting them on and off for years. These are Civil War sites. If you get permission on the 5 HQ sites. I would like to join with you on a couple of hunts. Would be happy to share my sites with you as well..
I will travel any where in Virginia. I am retired, and this is my only hobby. Can go most any time.
Anyone who likes Civil War relic hunting around my area, I will share my sites with you. All I ask is you share some of you Civil War site with me.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roadquest, I would sure like to hunt some of those sites with you. Sadly, I can't take you to any of my sites because...I don't have any!! I am retired and can go most any day except Sunday.

ron_c1

May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Bowling Green, Va. A friend and I have a couple of spots locally we have hunted a few times. I've only been at it since last summer. Prior to that, it was back in the late 1980's. Other than an organized hunt last October and another hunt coming this month, we don't get out that often. Work and family life are priorities, of course. I feel like until I have some large are to be able to invite others, I don't want to feel like I am intruding.

BruceB

Jun 24, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bruce, Southern MD (Not much here), Willing to travel up to 2 hours Northern Virginia, Open most weekends.

Sully2013

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2014
Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Other
Sully in Spotsylvania here. I am a newbie and looking to get out and hunt this spring.
I am looking for hunting buddies.

I would like to hunt in my area but am willing to travel an hour or so away to hunt also.
I'm available weekdays with some notice and weekends too.

I don't have any proven sites yet but I love to research and have some ideas of
places I want to check out this spring.

Nice to meet yall,

Sully

OP
OP
TheSleeper

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to stop in and posting. Let's not let this thread die, get all your buddies or anyone else you see on the site in Virginia to jump in for a moment and post a shout out saying hellooooo.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in the Fredericksburg area. Early 30s, decent shape, and have a couple years experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread