Greenie
May 19, 2015
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi!

I'm a new member to the detecting community (have a detector on order; THAT new), and I live in the Prince-William County/Woodbridge area of VA (on the cusp of Manassas). I've seen the recent post showing metal detecting laws which has me concerned as I hadn't thought outside of federal property and parks it would be much of an issue (apparently in some places it is). I'm really looking forward to developing coin shooting and relic detecting as a new hobby, and I'd hate to think that it's impossible due to federal, state, and local laws. I've bought an E-trac, and would hate to have it confiscated...I searched Municode.com and didn't see anything for the prince-william area, but it's extremely unfortunate that Manassas all but bans it (although I know we're out there...I met a guy who pulled a $300 coin). Do you all have advice for this area of Virginia? Or any locations where the officers have more important things to do? (I used to be a police officer myself [albeit on federal property], and personally I may have warded off someone but never would have confiscated their machine unless they were habitual offenders, but some officers are....stricter...).

moncureww

Greenie
May 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask around for permission of private property owners. My advice is barter some services for relic hunting permission with private property owners. That has worked for me, and I am in Fredericksburg. Also talk to local builders who have property. Lots of options out there you just have to ask around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread