Shenandoah Valley, Va. Powells Fort Valley Treasure...?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Silver Mine; raw ore used to "make" counterfeit coins... in Powell's Fort Valley. PFV was owned by a "Brit"...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
More R & I on this... Lord Powell & his grand-daughter came over from England; she had TB. Lord Powell built a house on top of the mountain (Signal Knob...?). "He traveled around with the Indians & found found GOLD in mountains" of Powell's Fort Valley. Powell smelted the GOLD & made GOLD BARS, which he divided with the Indians for their help. "He made several trips back to England" (like Jonathan Swift...?), and buried much of the GOLD, which has been sought for, but! NEVER found... such is thought to have been buried at SIGNAL KNOB, where his grand-daughter was buried. "The abutment of the chimney of Powell's cabin" was found according to "tradition" (like Buford's in the Beale Treasure story...?); an Ore Furnace was found, leading to "BIG GOLD of Lord Powell". An IRON POT of GOLD was found (1937), with a "carving" of a KEY across the top. There was a carving of ANIMAL PAWS on some rocks; building a road in that area (FED Road...?), blasting, etc. destroyed the "Signs", making it VERY difficult to find the Treasure. Treasure was buried in those mountains under a cliff of BIG rocks; YEP! Sounds like Signal Knob area...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Latest R & I; Lord Powell was a friend of Lord Fairfax. Lord Fairfax had GEORGE WASHINGTON (as a young man) do a SURVEY of his NorthWest Virginia area (Shenandoah Valley), including Powell's Fort Valley. MAYBE, George Washington carved his "GW" on a rock in Powell's Fort Valley, like he did at Natural Bridge, Va. Yes, "GW" did THAT survey, too... AND!
Natural Bridge was once owned by THOMAS JEFFERSON.
BTW, there is a "legend" that a cache of GOLD was buried in the Northwest corner, on top of the Bridge, adjacent to Rt. 11, which crosses the top! OMG!

Last edited:

fortboy

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
GPX 4500
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lived in the Fort for quite some time. I've heard lots of stories as well. It's interesting to say the least.

scvbasteve

Greenie
Oct 2, 2012
falls church,va
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030/Minelab Explorer/Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some interest as well, and I think I may have some clues and a map of sorts.

scvbasteve

Greenie
Oct 2, 2012
falls church,va
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030/Minelab Explorer/Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to what I have(map) it is located..........well I ain't going to spill the secret here!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Shenandoah Valley MD/TH Club; ready for a SPRING HIKE...?

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad and his Brother , sisters, parents, etc., grew up in Fort Valley and went to school in Strasburg. Never heard it called Powell's but there are lot's of references online. I have even seen notes about the supposed treasure buried and paw-marked rocks near but have been destroyed by road-making. Wonder if this is real or not and if so is this one of those that some worker stumbled upon the gold during the construction, returned later and claimed it at night and never came back or said anything and that is why it has not turned up? Or as scvbasteve said, everyone looking in the wrong spot? Again, I saw George Wash. Nat. Forest-BUMMER! Public lands need to be opened or at least allow permits to be applied for and granted unless you really make a mess and then you get blacklisted.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for a Spring hike, that's a tall mountain, and I ain't no spring chicken no more!, got a good ATV, prefer a 6-wheeler with good seats and cargo space for supplies and ride up. Watch the trail going up and stop and search likely spots going up. Yeah, I'm getting to be a slacker!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure. I know that there are campgrounds at the bottom that are along Passage Creek as you come out of the valley toward Strasburg/Front Royal but as far as on the mountain, I cannot tell you. I have not tackled a hike like that in 20 years. All have been on much lower ridges. Some friends and I hit a ridge in August County that had a knob called Signal Knob on it. We took my old metal detector in hopes of finding some sort of Civil War encampment (good thing that Rangers never saw us!) and went up but it turned out to be much lower and the one we wanted is that one above Strasburg at the end of Fort Valley. We did find a few hunters campfire rings and old dropped shells but no coins or anything of value. I think that was back around 1990,maybe, I don't see any of them so I can't ask to find out. I know packing a detector in like that would kill me now.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a brother who lives in Strasburg, I'll have to see if he knows anyone who frequents that area and can get info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread