Shenandoah Valley, Va. Powells Fort Valley Treasure...?

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Not sure. I know that there are campgrounds at the bottom that are along Passage Creek as you come out of the valley toward Strasburg/Front Royal but as far as on the mountain, I cannot tell you. I have not tackled a hike like that in 20 years. All have been on much lower ridges. Some friends and I hit a ridge in August County that had a knob called Signal Knob on it. We took my old metal detector in hopes of finding some sort of Civil War encampment (good thing that Rangers never saw us!) and went up but it turned out to be much lower and the one we wanted is that one above Strasburg at the end of Fort Valley. We did find a few hunters campfire rings and old dropped shells but no coins or anything of value. I think that was back around 1990,maybe, I don't see any of them so I can't ask to find out. I know packing a detector in like that would kill me now.
Been to Signal Knob, also... WONDERFUL Civil War "Site".

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, MAYBE a Hotel in STRASBURG, Va. would be a good place for a Greet & Meet Organizational Meeting for the Shenandoah Valley MD/TH Club... heard that Wayside Inn was nice "back in the day". Rt. 81 & Rt. 11 are "easy access"; Rt. 11 was once known as the Warriors' Trading Path for native ppl; then the Great Wagon Road from PA, with a HUGE German-related population settling in Fredericks, Shenandoah, and Page County/Valley; SOME in WESTERN Rockingham County (Mennonite/Amish/Brethren). Heard lots of "legends' of GERMAN "Treasure" buried in caves of Upper Shenandoah Valley, with GERMAN writings/carvings on walls/boulders. NEVER seen anything myself... BUT! My grand-ma on my ma's side was a LONG from Page Valley; had the BIBLE in GERMAN! YEAH! My aunt has it, now...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread