Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Rockingham county va

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Rattler headphone
    321 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hi, Just checking back to see if anyone had posted new info. I run this while working so i can check several times during the day. I know that not everyone has that chance so please keep this going and write more if anyone else was around, add yourself to the list. Who knows, come spring thaw, we could get a good hunt group up!
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Rattler headphone
    321 times
    Hoping that there would be some more posts. If there are others in Rockingham County, Broadway/Timberville, Elkton, Bridgewater, Weyers Cave, Singers Glen or any of the places between, post when you can and hopefully by the time warm weather gets back, we can get a hunt together and a group up to go and meet.
    Rebel - KGC, you noted about Sugar Grove, WV, I believe that this Naval Listening Station has either been cut way back or decommissioned as the last time I saw something about it, a lot of the towers were gone and they were selling off parts of the facility. Would like to hunt that facility. Bet there interesting things to find but chances of that happening are about the same as hunting the National Forest, oh well.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    6218 times
    BOTH USN & USAF used the Facility; it WAS "cut back", and NSA runs what is still "active"; STILL "Fed-land". Those folks (all those years ago), came to Harrisonburg, Va. to shop since Franklin, WV didn't have as much to "offer". DO NOT try to "hunt"... just "look".

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    321 times
    Thanks for the info. The last time I was on one of the Jeep trails in the National Forest above it, all the land was still marked as Federal property and no trespassing. A lot of the trails were gated. Shame that we can't detect in the National Forest as I know of three areas that the local colleges had weekend parties. I am sure there's plenty to be found as these date back into the early 1970s as far as I know of and I am sure that maybe even longer.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    6218 times
    Yes, you do have the George Washington National Forest... it IS beautiful; YEP! JMU, BC, and maybe EMC had "party blow-outs" up there; never went to one. JMU (once known as MC) & BC were "PARTY SCHOOLS"... LOL! Harrisonburg & Bridgewater "natives" were NOT amused. UVA Frats used to "bus" Frat Boys over from Ch'ville in big old trucks to both MC/BC "girls schools" (before they went co-ed) & THAT could be the "source" of BIG "DRINKING" parties in GWNF... LOL! (BTW, my older brother is a UVA Grad & told me those "stories")... HA!
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Jan 25, 2017 at 06:40 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    321 times
    Some of my work buddies and I would camp out, drink and burn steaks at a campsite that overlooked the main one that Bridgewater College used to use. They would get rowdy and have fun but never set the forest on fire but it was always a mess after they left and would be a wonder of what might be laying around be we didn't want to be found wandering around there if the Park Service decided to see who was left. The last time I was able to get up there, our campsite was overgrown, the area that they partied had been bulldozed around a bit but was otherwise still they same. Makes me wonder if there were some that were in places that could still be searched. I have an uncle who went to JMU (Madison College then) in the '70s and I need to track him down and ask him if he remembers any places.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    6218 times
    Well, I was a Grad of Madison College in '77 & Masters in '78; JMU was SIMPLE, then. ALL we had was "The Bluestones"/Front Lawn. NOW...? HA! Wife & I went back in 2000, and... SHEETZ! All I remember was near the City Parks "areas"... Blame it ALL on CoEd & FRATS! HA! I DO remember the student nurses at RMH were HOT!
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Jan 25, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
    dsdigger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    321 times
    JMU now owns the RMH Facility that was next to the campus and moved the hospital out to property on farmland just beyond the Harrisonburg city limits on Port Republic Road. They kept the front half of the hospital and turned it into the University Health Center and I am not sure what else. They reworked the bridge across the road to the Cancer Center and I do not know what that has be come except it is now surrounded by a four story parking garage. They tore up a couple of old houses and a part of the hospital to rebuild but the were gated off so no way to get in to detect. I am sure there were coins, rings and things to find but they have either been plowed under or the dirt hauled off and used as fill at an unknown site, probably under a parking lot, Progress?
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    6218 times
    THANKS for the "up-dates". "Progress", INDEED! I know UVA has several parking lots paved over old family cemeteries, UVA Student Union is one; hope family "ghosties" reek havoc there... heh!
    dsdigger likes this.

Jun 2007
    6218 times
    Family farms (in the same family for YEARS) are GREAT places of "interest"; get permission to look at the land w/o MD, & look for ORIGINAL foundations of old home-sites, cabins, etc. Shenandoah Valley is "blessed" with LOTS of "cave systems" which family caches may be stashed in; closer to the EASTERN part of the county & Augusta County; THEY were "settled" first. Other thing to remember are family caches hidden during the Confederate War (avoiding "Yankee Plunders"); MOSTLY in caves up in the hills & mountains... reads the HISTORIES! HH! Good Luck!
    dsdigger likes this.

Jun 2007
    6218 times
    YEP! HH! Good Luck!

Jun 2007
    6218 times
    Well, it looks like "Doc" found a Yank Encampment near a creek, running from the Shenandoah River; 3-Ring(s) 58 Cal. Bullets, Yank Belt Buckle or two, numerous other items. Yanks had 3-Ring(s) 58 Cal. Bullets; Rebs had 2-Ring(s) 58 Cal. Bullets. I don't call 'em "Minnie Balls" 'cause they are NOT "Ball-shape" like at the beginning of the Confederate War. I did Re-enactments as part of Comp. I, 10th Virginia "Foot Calvary" from Conrad's Store (now known as Elkton, Va.); it was Stonewall Jackson's ORIGINAL "Foot Calvary"; we DID fight on the ORIGINAL battlefields & camped OFF the battlefields (near creeks & rivers; we DID found "dropped" items of "INTEREST"). One guy found 6 buried rifles with fixed bayonets (wooden parts rotted away). He went back later at night & got 'em... I got disgusted & quit. Today in my basement, I found my Cannon Ball that I found years ago; use it in High School as a SHOT-PUT! Kids were terrified that it might have explored... HA! It was SOLID IRON "10-Pounder". Looking for my AMA/CSA Button (Augusta Military Academy), Yank 3-Ring(s) 58 Cal. Bullet, NUMEROUS stuff. As a kid, gave MOST of it away... WHAT did I know... HA!
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Feb 01, 2017 at 08:59 PM.

Jun 2007
    6218 times
    HA! WRONG "DOC"! "DocBeav" - Beautiful Day in Va. for RELICS on the River. VERY NICE, tho...

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    321 times
    Sounds like someone had a good day. My wife and I are in TN to visit friends and spend time at the timeshare she owns. Too close to the park and all built up around so I didn't know when or if I would get a chance to hunt. Looks like rain the next three days. I agree on the minie-balls, only the round lead ones should be called that and all others are bullets. They look similar to the one's I load into the Hawken and the Kentucky rifles. Except mine are bright and shiny! Been a long time since I have been to the New Market re-enactment, I remember the camps on the opposite side of the interstate and going through the tunnel underneath to get back and forth. The camps were cool and period outfits interesting but bet were not the most comfortable. Wish you had those bullets and stuff back now right? Just like the extra wheaties and Mercs that I let go in my teens to have quick cash. What they might be worth now.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    321 times
    Guess I'll have to see if I can find the thread with doc's finds.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links