Rockingham county va

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one out off of Route 33 West going toward West Virginia. They call the thing "Blue Hole" simply because it is so deep and blue. It is in a stream that runs along the highway and you park off the shoulder and make your way down the steep bank from the road to the creek. There are boulders and rock all along and I know that SLC quarters were found there a while back just by looking around. With several floods, the place has been changed a bit but I know was in use long before i came here in '73. It is in an area called Rawley Springs and there is supposed to have been an old Retreat back in this same area that was used back in the early 1900's and even a president or two is rumored to have visited. I am sure it is on private land but if research is done and it does still or did exist, permission may be obtained. I have heard of other swimming holes but they are up near the Skyline Drive and may be in the National Park. There is supposed to be one up that way that has a creek that washes down into a large tub-like basin and then a pool before going on. Who knows if these are still around since most of these were from back 35 years ago while I was hiking and camping in the valley. I know that one's existed, just finding them or where they were after some of the floods may make it challenging. Research, research and more.

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My father in law was born in 1901. He told the story of at the age of 19 needing to go to Clark county form Loudon. There was a ferry, (I think it was at Snickers gap) that he with his horse crossed the Shenandoah on. On his way over he dropped his dime in the river for the return trip . On his way home they would not let him back on the ferry without paying so he had to ride his horse across the Shenandoah. There was probably a lot lost near the ferry crossings. I am not exactly sure where the ferry was but probably where Route 7 crosses. There is a public boat entrance there now. I don't do much detecting off the farm but it would be good to look into. ( just because this is going to make me sound old and I am in denial about getting older I am in my early 50s I really shouldn't care what people think I know.)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hey, you "Northern" guys got any old swim holes up there?

:hello:
HA! Great to "see" ya, again... yeah, on the Rockingham/Page Counties "line" (Rt. 340, Verbena "area"); on Naked (Nekked) Creek is BLUE HOLE! Icy Cold creek water from the Blue Ridge Mountains; go swimming & down the creek a'piece, wash your car/truck! Did it, when I was younger... for ADVENTURING, go FURTHER up on the paved road into the hollers up there; Nekked Creek Road is WONDERFUL! You will end up back in Rockingham County, with a coon dog or two yapping at ya... have FUN!

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VaNana, I have heard Snickers Gap from somewhere in my past. I grew up part of my youth in the Sterling/Sterling Park area before it exploded. Old Sterling is gone and a lot of what I remember has changed but I still have family up in Leesburg and Bluemont Flats in Loudon. There were so many farms, horse and otherwise that disappeared to make the monstrosity that has become that area now. I know that there had to be places up there with lots of ferries and small bridges that might be possible search sites and will require research.
Rebel, as for Naked Creek in Pockingham/Page county area, know it and it has lots of "Hollars" to check. The places has been prone to floods over the years and so much has changed but I am sure that if you can find a way in or get someone who knows, there's probably plenty of the old homesites that might yield relics, coins or even caches as they were far from town and would likely bury or stash money.

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dsdigger, the family farm is still in operation though the three sons that live on the farm all have full time jobs. We are not far from Bluemont. Still a few farms in this part of the county, and still a lot of horse farms around Middleburg. We should divid the county in two because the two sides are totally opposite in every way. I go to Leesburg but try hard not to go east of that. I do most of my shopping in Winchester. Sterling is a nightmare.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Correct on Nekked Creek; I know of @ 3 times that it & the Shenandoah River merged in the Verbena "area"...
VaNana, that ferry MAY have been "connected" to the Jonathan Swift legends of the Swift SILVER Mines; JS & "Company" traveled from Alexander, Va. after sailing up the Chesapeake Bay to the Potomac; overland route was in your area, and they had to cross the Shenandoah River, I think; whatever is in Snickers' Gap... it was aka William's Gap; go to Snickers' Gap - Wiki... INTERESTING! Rt. 7, TODAY!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
VaNana, I have heard Snickers Gap from somewhere in my past. I grew up part of my youth in the Sterling/Sterling Park area before it exploded. Old Sterling is gone and a lot of what I remember has changed but I still have family up in Leesburg and Bluemont Flats in Loudon. There were so many farms, horse and otherwise that disappeared to make the monstrosity that has become that area now. I know that there had to be places up there with lots of ferries and small bridges that might be possible search sites and will require research.
Rebel, as for Naked Creek in Pockingham/Page county area, know it and it has lots of "Hollars" to check. The places has been prone to floods over the years and so much has changed but I am sure that if you can find a way in or get someone who knows, there's probably plenty of the old homesites that might yield relics, coins or even caches as they were far from town and would likely bury or stash money.
PLENTY of "Stashes" in those hills; REBELS had a unit (Comp, I, 10th Virginia Infantry aka Stonewall Jackson's "Foot Cavalry" based in Conrad's Store (Elkton, Va.) THAT was the Unit that I was in for REBEL re-enactments (with black powder "war games" in the mountains; locals PROBABLY thought that Mountain ppl were shooting at each other, again...). LOL! OR... GHOSTS of REBEL soldier were getting feisty; heh...

Last edited:

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the Wiki... write up on Snickers Gap had not read it there before. Snickersville Turnpike is the route that George Washington traveled from Alexandria to Winchester when he was a surveyor. He mentions it and the taverns or ordinaries that he stayed at in his diaries. One was possibly on the farm. May have found the location this spring but it is to overgrown to get in there this summer.

The family is going to Massanutten in a few weeks I want to go by Elton and Shenandoah either coming or going. Love to hear the stories of that area. Was down that way a couple week ago also and stoped by Mt. Crawford Creamery. We use to have a dairy here. Now it is beef cows.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I like the Wiki... write up on Snickers Gap had not read it there before. Snickersville Turnpike is the route that George Washington traveled from Alexandria to Winchester when he was a surveyor. He mentions it and the taverns or ordinaries that he stayed at in his diaries. One was possibly on the farm. May have found the location this spring but it is to overgrown to get in there this summer.

The family is going to Massanutten in a few weeks I want to go by Elton and Shenandoah either coming or going. Love to hear the stories of that area. Was down that way a couple week ago also and stoped by Mt. Crawford Creamery. We use to have a dairy here. Now it is beef cows.
Fall, EARLY Winter, or EARLY Spring would be BEST time to do "clean-up" for your farm. Massanutten has LOTS of Old History & Elkton is "down the road apiece" on Rt. 33, going EAST. Shenandoah & Nekked Creek are on Rt. 340... going NORTH. It IS a "loop" back to your home area, via Front Royal, Va. HH! Good Luck! If you have LOTS of Rain, stay away from the Verbena "area" on Rt. 340...

Last edited:

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the heads up on they rain / flooding on 340. I was looking on the maps on my iPad and it is not much farther than going 81 about 4 minutes difference. Would be good to know the area you all are talking about since no one else in Virginia posts anything here. 🙂

The field that I want to get into on the farm is not being used any longer because it is hard to get in and out of so I have to hike in. I need to see if one of my sons will give me a day of their time to help clean it up. You would think since I swing the medal detector that I could use a weed eater for a couple hours. Maybe I will. Did find some Rose nails and other artifacts that tell me it was an old site.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, y'all COULD rent a Mowing Tractor or even get one from one of the farms, up there. Could even BARTER something; an "old" way of getting things done...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Fall, EARLY Winter, or EARLY Spring would be BEST time to do "clean-up" for your farm. Massanutten has LOTS of Old History & Elkton is "down the road apiece" on Rt. 33, going EAST (towards the Skyline Drive). Shenandoah & Nekked Creek are on Rt. 340... going NORTH. It IS a "loop" back to your home area, via Front Royal, Va. HH! Good Luck! If you have LOTS of Rain, stay away from the Verbena "area" on Rt. 340...
It IS a FUN drive!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, 340 would be a bit more relaxing than Interstate if you are in no hurry and more scenic for sure. VaNana, you said divide the county(Loudon) wouldn't just walling it up be better and that way. the wall would hold back the noise and westward progression? I used to remember when Sterling and Herndon were separate and had farms between them, now there is no separation and no farms any longer. Concrete, asphalt and humanity as far as the eye can see-what a waste, used to be pretty land. I remember years ago someone wrote an article on the area(think it was in the Washington Post back in the Mid-70s) and made fun of some of the names like Snickersville Turnpike, Udderback Store Road and others but those were the names in the area and had been. Hate to think of all of the old Horse farms and homes that have been paved over for new homes and items that will never see the light of day. Mount Crawford Creamery is not far from where I live. Neat place and they are adding Ice Cream to the offering.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, "Steel & Glass Sprawl" is "killing" Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Va., too. "Hunt it up", while you still can...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I worked in Sterling for a few months in 2003, lived in a motel. I went to get groceries, and due to traffic my ice cream had melted by the time I got back to my room.

Even Detroit was better.

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A wall would be nice! Who would pay for that one? It is coming, the sprawl. The county is trying to keep some land open but we will see if they change the rules when it suits them. Right now half of our farm could be divided no smaller than 20 acre lot the other half 40. Don't want to do it. We will hold on as long as we can. I went to Herndon High in 80 for six months when we moved to Virginia I am not sure I could find it any more. I remember in 94 (I had to look it up) Disney wanted to build a civil war History themed park around Gainesville that would have been a nightmare. This side of the county would be over grown also. It is a big relief to drive those long stretches between towns as you go south and west through the mountains and see the wide open spaces with a few house here and there.

I asked at Mount Crawford Creamery if they were interested in selling some of our pork but it is a distance and they have a supplier. It was to early in the morning so the ice cream stand (building) was not open yet. Stayed at Village Inn on 11. It was very nice.

I don't think that I could do Detroit either.

As for cleaning the field that I want to detect in We may be able to do a pass or two with the tractor and bush hog but the trees and autumn olive bushes are to big at this point to do to much. Not enough shade to kill the weeds and grass but to big to drive over. Then pray that you don't get hit by a crazy driver going to fast around the curve as you leave. The other side has a sharp drop off to the creek. Could Ford the creek with the tractor in one place but then you have to go through my brother in laws yard to get there.

Thank you all for your replies, and for letting me ramble about Loudoun in a thread that is suppose to be about Rockingham County. Sorry!
( I am sitting with dad at the hospital all night. Not good. Please pray.)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
A wall would be nice! Who would pay for that one? It is coming, the sprawl. The county is trying to keep some land open but we will see if they change the rules when it suits them. Right now half of our farm could be divided no smaller than 20 acre lot the other half 40. Don't want to do it. We will hold on as long as we can. I went to Herndon High in 80 for six months when we moved to Virginia I am not sure I could find it any more. I remember in 94 (I had to look it up) Disney wanted to build a civil war History themed park around Gainesville that would have been a nightmare. This side of the county would be over grown also. It is a big relief to drive those long stretches between towns as you go south and west through the mountains and see the wide open spaces with a few house here and there.

I asked at Mount Crawford Creamery if they were interested in selling some of our pork but it is a distance and they have a supplier. It was to early in the morning so the ice cream stand (building) was not open yet. Stayed at Village Inn on 11. It was very nice.

I don't think that I could do Detroit either.

As for cleaning the field that I want to detect in We may be able to do a pass or two with the tractor and bush hog but the trees and autumn olive bushes are to big at this point to do to much. Not enough shade to kill the weeds and grass but to big to drive over. Then pray that you don't get hit by a crazy driver going to fast around the curve as you leave. The other side has a sharp drop off to the creek. Could Ford the creek with the tractor in one place but then you have to go through my brother in laws yard to get there.

Thank you all for your replies, and for letting me ramble about Loudoun in a thread that is suppose to be about Rockingham County. Sorry!
( I am sitting with dad at the hospital all night. Not good. Please pray.)
Praying for ALL of you... re. your farm; get help from the Snickersville Turnpike Association ("google" it) & tell 'em you MAY have a "site" of an Ordinary or Tavern on your farm. Snickersville Turn-Pike was VERY important to that area's history. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread