Rockingham county va

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey no problem, I still have family in Loudoun and understand getting on and chatting, texting or just posting while sitting. Saying a prayer for you and yours as we were in your place a couple of years ago and sometimes just having a bit of a distraction helps. And afterall, the section really is all about Virginia!

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!!! Dad is sleeping rough night. Family all coming in today.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prayers for you and your family!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hey no problem, I still have family in Loudoun and understand getting on and chatting, texting or just posting while sitting. Saying a prayer for you and yours as we were in your place a couple of years ago and sometimes just having a bit of a distraction helps. And afterall, the section really is all about Virginia!
True, and I am interested in that area b/c of the Grey Ghost & his Rangers (were ALL over up there)... UVA guy, VERY interesting history. Mosby Heritage Area Association is of GREAT "interest" to me. I know about his farm, big CAVE on the near-by Creek...

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And we all know that by just the legends associated with caves and hidden loot that if there is a cave, there might be something good inside, or there just be bats and guano. I have done a little looking at the Bridgewater historic book I bought and there are places I would like to check out but a lot are along the river and I wonder what if anything is left after all of the floods. I guess a bit more research will need to be done and since the fall is approaching, cooler weather and better for me to hunt if I can get away from work.

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dad died last night! He is at peace now. It was 7 year to the day that mom passed away. Thanks for your prayers!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Gonna start a new "Thread" MOSBY'S CONFEDERACY NOVA to cover history, towns & counties of "his" areas of NOVA.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
And we all know that by just the legends associated with caves and hidden loot that if there is a cave, there might be something good inside, or there just be bats and guano. I have done a little looking at the Bridgewater historic book I bought and there are places I would like to check out but a lot are along the river and I wonder what if anything is left after all of the floods. I guess a bit more research will need to be done and since the fall is approaching, cooler weather and better for me to hunt if I can get away from work.
Take the Old Road (Rt. 11/42 SOUTH?) past Bridgewater, through Mt. Crawford, Mt. Sidney, Mt. Solon, past Natural Chimneys... bound to be MORE caves/caverns around there about.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Getting into Augusta County, now... Rt. 254 WEST (I think) has a cave/cavern near Churchsville, on to Monterey, Va. (Highland County). MUCH Civil War "action" was out there...

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, At the top of the mountain, past the Ramsey's Draft recreation area is the Confederate Breastworks. A lot of wooden reinforcements that have long since filled in with dirt and trees. There is a small parking area and a trail head to go hiking in the area or hike down to Jerry's Run which connects to Ramsey's draft around the mountain. I have backpacked the area in my 20s and there are lots of areas to stash anything. Being National Forest, no detecting but you can still look and Observe your surroundings. The area of Ramsey's Draft had old growth trees back in the 1980s that were big enough that I could not encircle with my arms. Figure that there might have been some places around there but the flood in '85 messed it up good and in the '90s it was beat up again. Might find clues if researched and looked in some of the areas back off the creek itself.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I find it INTERESTING that FED/STATE/"LOCAL" Park-land is USUALLY in areas "protected" from MD'ing... "they" MUST know "something"... buried weapons of "olden days", stashes, caches, etc. go to adjacent "private" land, get permission, & "hunt"; HH! Good Luck! (WOODED "areas" are GREAT!)... HH! Good Luck!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They know something and rather than let it be found and collected, displayed, restored or at least saved, let it rot. I know it goes deeper than that but not the place for that subject. Back during the CW, no asphalt or concrete ribbons to follow, just dirt and mud roads, trails and paths. Campsites were clearings, depressions, and natural defenses that have for the most part disappeared into the surrounding landscape or paved over or protected from being found. All the counties in the area have sites to look for due to the access the Shenandoah Valley provided to the North and South.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yes, SV and the state of Virginia has MUCH to offer... YET! ACCESS to old roads (ie, "Fire Roads" for the USPS) are difficult; just for hiking. Example being in MY area are Fire Service Roads on the BRP for Iron Mines Hollow (Spec, Va.)... NICE hike, tho. AND! OLD, original roads going through the GAPS from East to West counties; "fave" is HICO, the original capital of the MONACAN NATION In Amherst County on Bear Mountain. THEIR land (MANY years, ago)... was centered on top of the BRP near Buena Vista, Va.; HUGE!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
SO! If you can find old Frontier Roads... MAY be places of "Interest". ONE example would be Swift Run Gap (Rt. 33)... BUT! ALL paved, now... HOWEVER! MAY be "carvings" on the bluffs/boulders up there, never looked! I DO know Swift Run, Va. in Greene County existed at one time; can even see the OLD front street, TODAY! "Fave" place WAS Swift Run Gap in the fall, when the leaves & critters are down... you can see & hike the OLD mountain Roads; FUN!
HECK, I would even buy/build a house up there!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Focus on where you wanna go; go to nearest gas station & ask if someone owns that "site of interest". For Swift Run, Va., go to Antique place on Rt. 33; MANY Dean families up there... don't know if old Swift Run (town) is on "Fed-land". :dontknow: :coffee2:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread