Rockingham county va

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
There WERE some from James Madison University at one time, in Harrisonburg. The Shenandoah Valley has LOTS of "Sites of Interest". I was born/raise in Shenandoah, Va., about 6 miles north of Elkton... NEVER used a MD. Just "gut-feeling" hunting... knowing the history of my "home-area" (Page County, SNP/Skyline Drive, Rockingham County...); go to Harrisonburg/Rockingham County Historical Society (Harrisonburg) to "learn". You have Civil War, Frontier Life, Scot-Irish/Brit, German/Mennonite "sites of Interests"... AND! LOTS of CAVES! HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi bkrydn01, I am from the Rockingham County area, Bridgewater to be exact. I am always looking for someone to hunt with as most of the people that I had ever gone with have quit or lost interest and sold their equipment. I upgraded as I just wanted to try newer to see if it would find more. I do not know of a club in the area and the closest that I know of is in Northern VA.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Call it the Shenandoah Valley, Va. MD/TH Club; just TOO many "Sites of INTEREST" to ignore... HH! Good Luck!

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I live in Clover Hill Rockingham County....Always looking for a hunting buddy! PM me if interested. :hello2:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Doc Arey, I know where Clover Hill is. Had friends that used to live out that way a while back. Keep this up, like Rebel - KGC said, we'll have our own club. I do not hunt much when it is cold but I like to look around for places to go once it gets warmer.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
AND! Have FUN! It COULD be a "family thing"... EVERYONE would get their outdoors EXERCISE!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
TOO muddy out there; time for R & I (Research & Investigation) for D & R (Discovery & Recovery) in the Spring, 2017. "Up there" in the SV, that would be about 3rd week of March; start with a visit to the Frontier Culture Museum on I-81, in Staunton, south of Harrisonburg... have a look at old tools, etc. ENTRANCE FEE; not sure when it opens. "Google" Frontier Towns of the Shenandoah Valley; Civil War Battlefields of the Shenandoah Valley & be aware of small skirmishes (fights) between the Rebs & Yanks in between the "BIG" battles". Legends of GOLD/SILVER caches abound in areas between Staunton & Winchester; KNOW the FED/STATE/LOCAL Laws re. MD/TH. Visit HISTORICAL Museums from Staunton to Winchester. HH! Good Luck! Have FUN!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Make it a "Family Thing"; EVERYONE can get out & get fresh air & EXERCISE, in the GREAT OUTDOORS! YEAH!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
MOST important thing to remember are the "roads" of the olden days... The old WARRIOR PATH (from "Philly" in Pa. to the Roanoke Valley) was a "Trading Path" for "Indians"; it became the GREAT WAGON ROAD, and is now known as Rt. 11. ALL the quaint little towns along Rt. 11 started, and then expanded along such & would be a GREAT "Drive", for y'all. I-81 didn't exist; Rt 42 was added for Rockingham County MOSTLY, and goes into German/Mennonite "country" of Dayton & Bridgewater, Va.; Shenandoah Valley was a GREAT frontier area consisting of WHITE Scot-Irish-Brit ppl from Tidewater area, & WHITE German ppl from Pa. Dividing "line" (they hated each other) was Elkton/Harrisonburg, Va. for Scot-Irish-Brit vs German ppl mainly from Shenandoah & Page Counties. Some German ppl settled in the Dayton/Bridgewater area of Rockingham County, becoming Mennonite/Amish Families & other related "sects"). BEST place to find books on History & family Genealogy in Rockingham County is the Green Valley Book Fair, started by L. Evans; his ex-wife is in charge of the Book Fair; "google" it for 2017 dates & times. NOW is the time for R & I!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rt. 42 North for me turned into Rt. 254 West for Timberville/Broadway "areas", & of course... MOLE HILL! A "burned out" Volcano; Rt. 254 goes into West Virginia & Sugar Grove... a "SECRET" USN Radar Base, in the mountains of West Virginia!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel- KGC, you mentioned Rt. 33 west. I have rode motorcycles over that mountain for years until chasing friends up scraping pegs, I hit the fine gravel on the side and slid off. I also camped off from there near a forest-service flood control dam. Unfortunately a majority of the area is in the George Washington National Forest, but there was an old Harrisonburg city park at the foot of the mountain called Riven Rock that I used to go to back in my teens and 20's. That has been quite a while but if still owned by Harrisonburg city and similar guidelines, it may be open for hunting. Need to look into that and some friends who knew people in that area with private property and see about ownership and access. As you said, now is the time for research.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Just checking back to see if anyone had posted new info. I run this while working so i can check several times during the day. I know that not everyone has that chance so please keep this going and write more if anyone else was around, add yourself to the list. Who knows, come spring thaw, we could get a good hunt group up!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping that there would be some more posts. If there are others in Rockingham County, Broadway/Timberville, Elkton, Bridgewater, Weyers Cave, Singers Glen or any of the places between, post when you can and hopefully by the time warm weather gets back, we can get a hunt together and a group up to go and meet.
Rebel - KGC, you noted about Sugar Grove, WV, I believe that this Naval Listening Station has either been cut way back or decommissioned as the last time I saw something about it, a lot of the towers were gone and they were selling off parts of the facility. Would like to hunt that facility. Bet there interesting things to find but chances of that happening are about the same as hunting the National Forest, oh well.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
BOTH USN & USAF used the Facility; it WAS "cut back", and NSA runs what is still "active"; STILL "Fed-land". Those folks (all those years ago), came to Harrisonburg, Va. to shop since Franklin, WV didn't have as much to "offer". DO NOT try to "hunt"... just "look".

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. The last time I was on one of the Jeep trails in the National Forest above it, all the land was still marked as Federal property and no trespassing. A lot of the trails were gated. Shame that we can't detect in the National Forest as I know of three areas that the local colleges had weekend parties. I am sure there's plenty to be found as these date back into the early 1970s as far as I know of and I am sure that maybe even longer.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yes, you do have the George Washington National Forest... it IS beautiful; YEP! JMU, BC, and maybe EMC had "party blow-outs" up there; never went to one. JMU (once known as MC) & BC were "PARTY SCHOOLS"... LOL! Harrisonburg & Bridgewater "natives" were NOT amused. UVA Frats used to "bus" Frat Boys over from Ch'ville in big old trucks to both MC/BC "girls schools" (before they went co-ed) & THAT could be the "source" of BIG "DRINKING" parties in GWNF... LOL! (BTW, my older brother is a UVA Grad & told me those "stories")... HA!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread