Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Rockingham county va

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2016
    elkton va
    Garrett at pro, Minelab etrac
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Rockingham county va

trying to locate a detecting club or find more local people to detect with. located in the Harrisonburg/elkton va area
    Rebel - KGC and dsdigger like this.

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    There WERE some from James Madison University at one time, in Harrisonburg. The Shenandoah Valley has LOTS of "Sites of Interest". I was born/raise in Shenandoah, Va., about 6 miles north of Elkton... NEVER used a MD. Just "gut-feeling" hunting... knowing the history of my "home-area" (Page County, SNP/Skyline Drive, Rockingham County...); go to Harrisonburg/Rockingham County Historical Society (Harrisonburg) to "learn". You have Civil War, Frontier Life, Scot-Irish/Brit, German/Mennonite "sites of Interests"... AND! LOTS of CAVES! HH! Good Luck!
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Jan 02, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Rattler headphone
    488 times
    Hi bkrydn01, I am from the Rockingham County area, Bridgewater to be exact. I am always looking for someone to hunt with as most of the people that I had ever gone with have quit or lost interest and sold their equipment. I upgraded as I just wanted to try newer to see if it would find more. I do not know of a club in the area and the closest that I know of is in Northern VA.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    The two of you may have to start one...

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    Call it the Shenandoah Valley, Va. MD/TH Club; just TOO many "Sites of INTEREST" to ignore... HH! Good Luck!
    dsdigger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2011
    Occupied Virginia
    WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
    671 times
    Hello I live in Clover Hill Rockingham County....Always looking for a hunting buddy! PM me if interested.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Rattler headphone
    488 times
    Hello Doc Arey, I know where Clover Hill is. Had friends that used to live out that way a while back. Keep this up, like Rebel - KGC said, we'll have our own club. I do not hunt much when it is cold but I like to look around for places to go once it gets warmer.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    NOW is the time to make contacts & get organized for SPRING HUNTS! HH! Good Luck!

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    AND! Have FUN! It COULD be a "family thing"... EVERYONE would get their outdoors EXERCISE!
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Jan 12, 2017 at 02:06 PM.

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    TOO muddy out there; time for R & I (Research & Investigation) for D & R (Discovery & Recovery) in the Spring, 2017. "Up there" in the SV, that would be about 3rd week of March; start with a visit to the Frontier Culture Museum on I-81, in Staunton, south of Harrisonburg... have a look at old tools, etc. ENTRANCE FEE; not sure when it opens. "Google" Frontier Towns of the Shenandoah Valley; Civil War Battlefields of the Shenandoah Valley & be aware of small skirmishes (fights) between the Rebs & Yanks in between the "BIG" battles". Legends of GOLD/SILVER caches abound in areas between Staunton & Winchester; KNOW the FED/STATE/LOCAL Laws re. MD/TH. Visit HISTORICAL Museums from Staunton to Winchester. HH! Good Luck! Have FUN!
    dsdigger likes this.

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    Make it a "Family Thing"; EVERYONE can get out & get fresh air & EXERCISE, in the GREAT OUTDOORS! YEAH!

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    MOST important thing to remember are the "roads" of the olden days... The old WARRIOR PATH (from "Philly" in Pa. to the Roanoke Valley) was a "Trading Path" for "Indians"; it became the GREAT WAGON ROAD, and is now known as Rt. 11. ALL the quaint little towns along Rt. 11 started, and then expanded along such & would be a GREAT "Drive", for y'all. I-81 didn't exist; Rt 42 was added for Rockingham County MOSTLY, and goes into German/Mennonite "country" of Dayton & Bridgewater, Va.; Shenandoah Valley was a GREAT frontier area consisting of WHITE Scot-Irish-Brit ppl from Tidewater area, & WHITE German ppl from Pa. Dividing "line" (they hated each other) was Elkton/Harrisonburg, Va. for Scot-Irish-Brit vs German ppl mainly from Shenandoah & Page Counties. Some German ppl settled in the Dayton/Bridgewater area of Rockingham County, becoming Mennonite/Amish Families & other related "sects"). BEST place to find books on History & family Genealogy in Rockingham County is the Green Valley Book Fair, started by L. Evans; his ex-wife is in charge of the Book Fair; "google" it for 2017 dates & times. NOW is the time for R & I!
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Jan 13, 2017 at 07:20 AM.
    dsdigger likes this.

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    Rt. 42 North for me turned into Rt. 254 West for Timberville/Broadway "areas", & of course... MOLE HILL! A "burned out" Volcano; Rt. 254 goes into West Virginia & Sugar Grove... a "SECRET" USN Radar Base, in the mountains of West Virginia!

Jun 2007
    6770 times
    AND! Rt. 33 West is ALSO awesome; like Mountains...?

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    488 times
    Rebel- KGC, you mentioned Rt. 33 west. I have rode motorcycles over that mountain for years until chasing friends up scraping pegs, I hit the fine gravel on the side and slid off. I also camped off from there near a forest-service flood control dam. Unfortunately a majority of the area is in the George Washington National Forest, but there was an old Harrisonburg city park at the foot of the mountain called Riven Rock that I used to go to back in my teens and 20's. That has been quite a while but if still owned by Harrisonburg city and similar guidelines, it may be open for hunting. Need to look into that and some friends who knew people in that area with private property and see about ownership and access. As you said, now is the time for research.
    Rebel - KGC and mhoecker like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links