OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the fishing stuff is now all online so you never have to go in but figured it would be a good excuse to feel out the MD'ing approach but just have that warning bell going off that it would flag me for some reason. Guess it is just the cautious side of me that knows that there are penalties that I used to wave off when I was young. I remember when they were flying the big DC-3s out of what was Bridgewater Air Park to dust for the Gypsy Moths. Heck of a crop duster! Been to some of the Mennonite farms and have never met a poor or small farm Mennonite farmer. They all do well and normally they run larger, family assisted farms and they are generally successful. A lot of them do it with less of the automation but they seem to be more of the progressives in this area than used to. I remember in High School, any you saw with a car, it was black, and all chrome and silver was painted black, no frills cars. Now they have some of the best cars around. Some of the farms and homes have been around a while, love to detect some of them as I am sure they did not always use the good ole' banking system! I never got to see a barn raising but know that when they build something, it goes up to stay. I even used a Mennonite harness maker to make a harness for a piece of equipment that my former employer used to sell. He made a quality piece at a reasonable price, just did not do expedited service but, he had the normal customers in the community too.
As for the tickets on the Skyline Drive, you are correct, been told that those guys have the same powers up there as State Police, since it is a National Park, keep the foot out, leave earlier and if you are late getting somewhere, pull off and make a call to say you'll be late. If you're feelin' frisky, tell'er it's gotta wait until the next pull off that is not crowded! I think they like to patrol and hand out those tickets but if you have ever been up there and had a bear walk out across in front of you, you know that slow is better, I would'nt want to hit one, just tick him off and he grab me out of the car!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, those black bears CAN be mean, if PO'ed... LOL! ANYWAY, only the AMISH have the "all-Black" thing... and the horse & buggy, with RED Triangle sign... GO SLOW! The Mennonite have something called "The Wilding", in which both boys & girls get some "free time" to experience the "English World" OR... return to the "Flock". I know a few who went "English" (one woman became a Psychologist); MOST return back to the "simple life" of the "Flock". The AMISH are more "extreme", as much "shunning" goes on. Mennonites will also "shun" a member; I know one woman, who was "lost", after her husband died... in our church, she would wear her Mennonite "garbs"; @ 10 years later, she is "normal" like us, taking care of an old lady in Florida... really "digging it"! Wife gets e-mails from her, "all the time"; the ex-Mennonite woman's kids are still Mennonites, and they won't have ANYTHING to do with her... SAD!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Speaking" of Mennonites... they were "into" NATURAL FOOD, Healing, etc. FAVE store like that, when I was going to MC/JMU was a place called Stoneleigh, near the cemetery on Rt. 33, going into town (H'burg). Good Food & "thoughts" from the "Burg"...

OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stoneleigh, would that be on Rt 33 West coming in from West VA? Passing the old radio towers and Dove's camper sales (still there selling!) trying to think about the place that might have been a store and there was something out near Belmont Estates. between Harrisonburg and Dale Enterprise. Or 33 East coming into town near Joe Bowman Chevrolet and Service Stationers, Rockingham National Bank to Court Square. The Chevy place is now out farther east above the Valley Mall and Service Stationers sold out and all the building are gone and they put in a big Urban Exchange Building that is three or four floors and just looks out of place. Love to know where all the fill dirt they pull is taken so it could be searched as so much is leveled and hauled away and who knows where it ends up now. Unless you work for one of the companies, it is luck of the draw just to find where some of that good old hunting soil ended up. Harrisonburg has gone "nuts" with building and most for students and then what used to be students is older and you'll find that other cultures have moved in and taken those over. Just not a lot of the good places left undisturbed. Going to have to do more Google maps and overlay checks to see whats left and figure out from there. Got some friends in the county, may just have to do the networking thing with them.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That guy was in Green SUV, cussed the living crap out of me screaming at me.

And then he said "I've got to go".

I thank Our Father that I got away without a citation! That's a fact!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Stoneleigh was once known as STONELEIGH INN on Rt. 33 coming from Elkton, etc. (left side, next to BIG Cemetery). @ top of the hill, going into H'burg...

OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I am going to have to take a road trip up there this weekend. I know that there is a place that is now a Bed and Breakfast and is just up from the cemetery All of the houses in that area are fairly large and of the Victorian style and early 1900s possibly earlier. Know that is an old part of the city. Road trip!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Now I am going to have to take a road trip up there this weekend. I know that there is a place that is now a Bed and Breakfast and is just up from the cemetery All of the houses in that area are fairly large and of the Victorian style and early 1900s possibly earlier. Know that is an old part of the city. Road trip!
YEP! VERY old part of H'burg... on the ORIGINAL Rt. 33. Where the Valley Mall on Rt. 33 "By-pass" is, was once Bill's Neff's BUFFALO field... then he moved 'em to Rt. 81 North. LAWDY! I LOVED those Buffalos... "google" Bill Neff & his Buffalos - Harrisonburg, Va. HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the Buffalo and then he moved north along Interstate 81 in the "Mansion" that overlooked the interstate with the buffalo in a field in front. Had a helicopter pad next to the house and a large fenced area all around it. It was later sold to one of the "Red Front " Store Family members for a large sum and the buffalo disappeared. I remember when there was nothing out Rt. 33 E but the Kmart and Kroger and after you passed the I81 cloverleaf and it was 2-lane all the way to the mountain. Not any more. Love to know where all the fill dirt from the old farms and the houses from those farms went! Stuff lost that will not be found unless by accident. Fill dirt!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Correct, you are... I remember all that, too! Stuff moved & found, will simply become OoPS! Out of Place STUFF! Heh...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"OoPS! This does NOT fit in the "time frame", we are researching" (Old Frontier Home, near Cross-Keys Battle-field)... Heh! TRUE story from my MC/JMU "Archies" excavation... I wanted to find a CANNON-BALL! DANG!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check and make sure where you ant to hunt is not going into a development. Seems like everything around Harrisonburg to the east along Rt. 33, out along Port Republic Road, and some of the roads in-between are just being hit up with housing growth. The Lakeside Golf Course is shutting down a selling off some of the holes along a housing development to become a bit smaller, more profitable and hopefully allow more people to move in and join the club. The is build up near the Massanetta Springs Church retreat. Like to be able to hunt that place. Old Brethren Church Retreat that has been around for as long as I can remember and quite a few building on the property but it is still in use. Not sure who to contact or which church is running it. even a lake on the property. Hope you find the old home info and it is still there or at least a chance to get in a search. Hate to think it might be underneath some new home now, BLLAAAAHHH!!!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I remember MSCR & the lake up there; a buddy of mine had a wife who was a coach of the JMU Women Basketball team or something like that; they had a picnic at their house & the girls went butt-nekked Skinny Dipping in the lake... I was at the other end of the lake, & AMAZED! WOO! LAWDY! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, some buddies and I went up there back in our late teens to try to pick up some "Church" girls. Just like the girls from JMU/Madison, they'll party but run away after that. Oh well, they knew about Townies too! How long since you've been out that way? Starting to build housing in from both directions. There's a gas station, dentist's and doctor's office etc. right at the end of the road at Rt. 33 and now a stop light that used to be just a stop sign. Developments growing up left an right, covering up good possible hunting land, the Tip-Top Fruit Farms is now housing and nothing to hunt anymore. The City becomes more University and everyone else moves outside of the city. Farms and related industries just go away. All that is left is stinking retail, still need industry and other types of jobs to run the country, we can't all work at Wal-mart and Home Depot.

OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I believe that if it isn't farmland or federal park land, the human race has gotten to the point of deciding that it is time to put it under concrete. Build, build, build! cover the land with developments, malls, strip malls, more fancy schools and let the other older buildings sit and fall into ruin. There should be laws against that that make rebuilding current infrastructure back and fix up some of what has gotten old. I don't mean fix it all, I know the truths of this and it would never happen but unchecked expansion should not either and urban blight just is wrong. Oops, on my soap box, sorry, I'll step down. Used to live in NOVA and could go between Sterling VA and Herndon and see Trees, fields, horse farms, old family farms and houses and open spaces. Now, it's houses all the way from one to the other, no breaks, no wonder the state goes politically the way NOVA goes, population has increased by??? I have no way to even guess, places to search up there are now long gone a if soil is trucked away, good luck figuring out where. I'm done.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yer correct; nothing but STEEL & GLASS, now... NOVA is BAD; had a girl-friend up there, once... for about 2 months. (Playing & singing STEEL & GLASS by John Lennon). Been to NYC & hated it! Thank G-D for Central Park!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions