anyone within 2 hours or so of Richmond

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just to let ya'll know....you are more than welcomed to attend the THIRD PIPSCIO HUNT in Surry Co, Va...it's the Boy Scout Reservation.

Only stipulation is ALL FINDS MUST BE TURNED INTO THE RANGER....when you report to the hunt, we will inform everyone of what can be kept.

PM me if you are interested. It's $1.00 per day per person...we will be there 28-31 March 2008....(Fri through Monday)..the fee is for camping. We have some spots we are looking at to grid off and hopefully find the location of a homestead.

We have a good group that goes and we have lots of fun!!! Come on out....about 14 days to go...WHOO HOO!!
Annmarie

Ghalt

Greenie
Aug 3, 2008
I'm in Midlothian.

I'm a total newbie. I just bought my White's Prizm III today.

I'd be up for anything: tot lots, sports fields/basketball courts, private property, relics or cladding.

The main thing I'm scared of is the law. It seems from what I've read that we can't MD on any Federal or State property, or any park in the City of Richmond. I'm not sure yet about Chesterfield or Powhatan county parks (obviously excluding historical sites).

I'm looking for ideas of where to go that's legal.

I wonder about places like Pony Pasture, or any of the little islands in the James River, either above or below Richmond.

Any suggestions would be most welcome! I'm planning on taking my 6-yr-old along with me to 'treasure hunt'. He's totally excited about the MD and the fact that I found two of his matchbox cars buried in the sandbox within 10 minutes of putting the batteries in the new unit. :)

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Ghalt,
You can detect in Richmond, but you just need to get a permit the City issues. I believe it is something like $15 - 20. Just call city hall to see where you can hunt. I was going to get one myself, but always get too busy to call around to find out who issues it. I hope that helps. Ive detected all of a couple hours this summer. Too busy and too hot!

Phil

Ghalt

Greenie
Aug 3, 2008
Philvis - if you know where I can go to get one of those licenses for Richmond, and what areas they cover, let me know.

Shoot, at this point I'm scared to even go to my local high school without signed permission. Am I allowed to peek around the bleachers there? Check out around the out-door basketball courts there?

I'm so nervous that I'm stuck in my own yard. :(

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va
I live in Richmond and went to alot of the schools and hit the tot lots as long as they don't have any trespassing signs and restrictions. The signs are posted on the fences around the school yard. Had no problems. I would go on the weekends and late in the evenings.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Ghalt said:
Philvis - if you know where I can go to get one of those licenses for Richmond, and what areas they cover, let me know.

Shoot, at this point I'm scared to even go to my local high school without signed permission. Am I allowed to peek around the bleachers there? Check out around the out-door basketball courts there?

I'm so nervous that I'm stuck in my own yard. :(

If I remember correctly I believe the permits are more for city parks. The only problem I would have hitting a school yard is the area they are located in. Lots of bad places around, haha. One school with some potential is Norvell Elementary at the end of Semmes Avenue. I drive by it often as I work out there. The school has been abandoned for about a year or so now I think. The playground looks to be ripe for the picking! Don't be afraid to go to schools and such. Unless there is a No Tresspassing sign like newbob said, go for it. In Richmond, the only places people are worried about you hunting are on the battlefield parks.

Ghalt

Greenie
Aug 3, 2008
Called my son's elem school and got permission.

Hit the playground (my first!) today after going to Chuck E. Cheese's (where a kid can be a kid) with Zack.

4 quarters
4 pennies
misc pop tabs

It's kinda difficult to get too close to the play equipment (or under the bleachers) because of the metal structure.

But, I called a cop-friend of mine and asked him. He's Henrico county, but I asked him to check Chesterfield as well.

Cladder

Sep 30, 2009
Richmond, Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, minelab xterra 70
I am also a newbee here and richmond. I read alittle about the history and it said that chirch hill was pretty old. When i looked on the map, i didnt see to many open fields or wooded areas. Thanks for the post that said something about getting a permit from the city, wounder if they give you a list of the areas that you can md.? Has anyone from richmond acutally found a place to md??, nad if you have any i would defitnitly be up for going.

sqzdog

Dec 28, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's TDI
I will tell you that if you plan to hunt on Church Hill you better take an arsenal of protection!

Walleye

Greenie
May 29, 2012
Glen Allen, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Thought I would revive this old thread and say howdy... I am new to the area (Glen Allen) and would love to team up on an area or two... shoot me a message iof you want some company on an outing... I am going out today to see if I can find someplace that will give permission...

Thanks !! Bob

kguittar

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2013
Richmond, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Minelab 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, I live in Chesterfield too. I live in Huntingcreek over by Iron Bridge Park. Im pretty new at hunting, but I go out ever day. Ive been lookin for other people to hunt with so if you are interested, get in touch with me. Send me a private message and lets set something up. Im into any kind of hunting right now, but extremely interested in relic hunting. Let me know if you are interested. ~Kris

Digdeeper

Dec 21, 2013
Richmond, va
Detector(s) used
Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, I live in Chesterfield too. I live in Huntingcreek over by Iron Bridge Park. Im pretty new at hunting, but I go out ever day. Ive been lookin for other people to hunt with so if you are interested, get in touch with me. Send me a private message and lets set something up. Im into any kind of hunting right now, but extremely interested in relic hunting. Let me know if you are interested. ~Kris

Looking to go relic hunting in and around Richmond evenings and weekends (maybe some weekdays) if anyone is interested in teaming up, let me know.

Dan

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Roanoke Rapids NC. Just an hour or so south of Richmond. I'm game for anything on the weekends or during the week. Just let me know. I've got some spots we can hit here in Carolina if you wanna drive down. Kind of trade hunt for hunt. Something new for you something new for me. Shoot me a text message if you're interested. 2525786974. Former law enforcement...no serial killer or weirdo on this end.

impul101

Greenie
Jan 23, 2014
Suffolk VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Suffolk and would like to go out and hunt with some members. I'm up for just about any location to hunt, willing to travel a few hours. I have a few spots myself. Feel free to text/call 7575448331. Also not a serial killer or weirdo :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be buying a house in Mechanicsville, (closing is June 20). Newbie to VA. but, I'm retired and have lots of free time except for Sunday's. Retired Postmaster and Vietnam veteran. No bozo's allowed, just good times.

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Hello all,
I live inBurlington NC but my work brings me to Williamsburg each week, all week. Driving home Friday and back up here Sunday eve leaves little time to hunt at home. Since I am new here and not a local, would love to hook up with anyone to get in some swing time. Shoot me a PM for contact info.

Duane
White's Silver Eagle

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be buying a house in Mechanicsville, (closing is June 20). Newbie to VA. but, I'm retired and have lots of free time except for Sunday's. Retired Postmaster and Vietnam veteran. No bozo's allowed, just good times.

Hello

jgrasty7

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2014
Lake Anna, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be at Lake Anna State Park for the month of Dec. and most of Jan., would love to meet up and learn some stuff. Relatively new to the hobby. Just purchased a slightly used Ace 250 just before typing this. I'm pretty excited to move to that part of the state as it's supposed to be pretty good md'ing territory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread