anyone within 2 hours or so of Richmond

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Is there anyone looking to get together for a hunt for a day one weekend? I'd really like to go MDing with another member, maybe I could learn a little too. I don't have a spot in mind, but I could come up with one. I have a couple of craig's list hits that I have yet to get to. Or we could do one of your spots. I really don't care, I'll drive. I would prefer relic hunting but I would be down for anything. I keep seeing people trying to get group hunts going but nothing ever seems to happen. Either that or I'm not invited, one or the other. And the friend that got me into the hobby turns out to not be so interested in it. He doesn't like all the work involved in it.

anyone with an opening in their busy schedule?

P.S. I am in Chesterfield Va, about 10 minutes west of Richmond.

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va
hay captain jack, I live in Richmond and willing to go but being new at this i really don't have any place to go. I hit the tot lots and thats about it. Its tough to find a place @ here in the area. If interested let me know. I have a hard time getting out do to my job but i can work @ that if needed.

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
I'm over in Mechanicsville and just waiting for the nice brisk fall weather to get hear. This weekend's temps are great. I do not have any spots at this time, but let me know if you want to try something. I do have one field when it is harvested... I like to wait for the snakes to leave also.... ;)

Attachments

• 05101223.JPG
    05101223.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 973

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Treasure Detector said:
I'm over in Mechanicsville and just waiting for the nice brisk fall weather to get hear. This weekend's temps are great. I do not have any spots at this time, but let me know if you want to try something. I do have one field when it is harvested... I like to wait for the snakes to leave also.... ;)

You know, that snake got everyone kicked out of that spot for quite some time. They cleared the lot to the left of it and I got permission to get into it. Nothing but junk and one lone musket ball. You guys found alot of nice stuff there.

OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
newbob, and treasure detector, I am game for anything really! It's just be nice to get out. I Do have a spot down in Petersburg to hunt, but it's just some lady's back yard. From the sounds of it I don't think it's exactly well manicured to say the least, in fact she referred to it as the jungle. On the up side she said when she moved in 4 years ago she found some interesting pottery and glass on the property. Don't know how big it is or anything but I'll probably head down there this coming saturday if anyone is interested but I think I can only take one person with me.

Treasure detector, if you normally wait till fall get's here, maybe we can hook up then! definitely keep my name or whatever and we can hook up! I'd love to hunt that field with you, don't want to step on any toes in your new spot I've just never gotten to do a field after being plowed. Seems like good times. I tried to hunt in the woods over by you one time behing a machine shop right off of 360 but found nothing but a stray .45 bullet and some junk. I think the ground was really too wet that close to the chickahominy and I got discouraged quick because of the mosquitos. I always thought mechanicsville would be a great place to hunt though. Especially since 360 was one of the first and only main roads out of Richmond!

New bob, what schools are you hitting? You must be my nemisis and the reason i found not a single thing at the Bon Air elementary school playgrounds! Well, except a random .38 bullet and some trash. I'll give it to ya though, if it was you, I only spotted one of your holes!

Maybe we could do a couple tot lots or try to find a relics spot. A friend of mine just bought 10 acres in powhatan on rt 13 and 5 acres of it are pretty clear. Just big hardwoods and fallen leaves. The ticks are out but they don't bother me all that much. But then again I don't think they like me all that much because they hardly ever bite in. I'm sur ehe wouldn't mind if we checked that out. If anyone is interested in that we could do that as well. This land is not too far from parts of Lee's retreat and also near some land that I KNOW bullets and buttons were found on but I can't get permission to hunt that land. Oh well, I think this'll be close enough. The trick will be finding them. I have yet to find any civil war relics and they are the reason I got into this hobby really.
I don't think anything on this land stands out to me as being a "better" place to hunt, but then I don't really know what to look for. Maybe one of you knows a little more than me. But for now it's just aimless scanning.

Tell me what you think guys! Always happy to team up!

Jeff

OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
By the way treasure detector, that's a killer snake! I have lived in Va for the last 15 years or so and I have spent a lot of time in the woods, never have I come across one like that. Yowza! just a couple black snakes for me. But I leave them be.

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
That is a Roanoake Island snake. I grew up there and never seemed to want to get close to anything that moved so close to the ground. I had enought snake expierences in my life, tha is why I will wait until they go home for the winter.

In fact, I am going home tomorrow to do some beach hunting. I hope to find "#50" gold ring. I have hundreds of the silver stuff, but there is something about the gold tone. Seaweed from the SodaPop Pirates will be my mentor. A fine man to get to know. If we can get Gravedigger Max to join us, it will be like old times.

cryptodave; it is always a lot of fun to get back to Dare County. Here is Seaweed himself with the same snake. We are comparing buttons to buttons. Several coins (half dimes) another good stuff came from that site.

raywithrattlesandbuttons.jpg

saf454df035074e2.gif

OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Treasure Detector said:
I hope to find "#50" gold ring. I have hundreds of the silver stuff, but there is something about the gold tone.

I haven't found any gold yet. One small silver charm at a tot lot. I was hoping jewelry would come a little easier than it has but no dice for me. Gold would be awesome!! but a CW anything would be better. :) PIeces of history are more valuable to me than dollars.

I am gonna hunt a friends piece of woods this weekend. Probably Saturday morning. I have to make sure it is ok with him, which I don't see why it wouldn't be as long as everyone behaves. But if anyone wants they can join me sat morn. I'll ask him tomorrow at work and see what he says. I'll let yall know tomorrow.

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va
captain Jack, I'll give you a call, right now i have my house on the market and having a open house this weekend or i would say lets find some where to go. Maybe the following weekend we can get togeather. I might be able to get a place to hunt down in Surry county. i have some connections down there, not many but a few. Let me do some checking and see what I can come up with.
Dropped me a email [email protected]

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
manganos; see my "NORTH CAROLINA" post. I may have only hunted an hour because of family obligations, but I hit a little spot north of Jennettes Pier in Nags Head that should have produced a ring. Coins (quarters, nickels $ dimes) within 2 feet apart and sinkers. I know the beach changed quickly, but this was not suppose to be a hunting trip but a family time. I can alway go back anytime and my friends "SodaPop Pirates always keep me informed with the beach conditions.

If anyone in the Richmond area wants to ride down when the time is right, just let me know. Check out the videos.... Yes, this is me

http://www.outerbanksnc.net/

sqzdog

Dec 28, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's TDI
I am just outside of Charlottesville. About 45 minutes from Short Pump.

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I am in Norfolk (Hampton Roads Area) and am getting kinda bored of the beach for now...I want to find some older stuff. Anybody know of a spot and need a buddy to help them detect it?! Email me at: [email protected]

skullhunter.va

Jun 22, 2007
norfolk.va
Detector(s) used
xlt
try around suffolk va alot of old farm land.just knock on a couple of doors.you'll get a number of good relic finds..

Attachments

• death_king.jpg
    death_king.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,023

skullhunter.va

Jun 22, 2007
norfolk.va
Detector(s) used
xlt
cool deal''Norfolk.va is a good spot for metal detecting.With the beaches near by-n-alot of good places to hunt all within an hour or 2 of driving.and sometimes alot lot less driving time.like pungo area of va-beach and the other citys that surround norfolk.You ca find a wide range of places to look for relics,old coins-n-bottles... 8)

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
It is HOTTTTTTTT..........
I am off on Tuesday's and Thursdays if anyone has somewhere to go.
I am still waiting for a good Nor Easter to go to the beach.
GraveDigger Max could put me in the gold mine....
I may have to wait for some cool stuff.

Attachments

• danny on beacon (2).jpg
    danny on beacon (2).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 814

svongray

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2005
virginia
HEY TREASUREHUNTER,
IF YOU HAVE A GOOD DETECTOR; YOU SHOULD GO DOWN TO THE BEACH IN NC WHERE BLACK BEARD,S SHIP WAS SUNK! THEY FIND GOLD THERE AFTER A STORM ALL THE TIME! JUST A IDEA! RED C GANG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread