Coming Back to the US.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I am coming back State side at the end of July to Great Falls; the house we purchased only has a 9 acre lot and I am pretty sure the people who lived there before us have never MDed in their life, but I am also sure that not one owner in that area is going to give me permission to hunt their little lot either.

So I wanted to ask what is good in the area or within an hours drive. All the times I have been to DC I have never MDed there before.

Is there local or State regulations on MDing; I have not lived State side since 2001 and that was in the Ft. Polk Louisiana area, folks around those parts did not really say much about anything. LOL

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Falls is a beautiful area, kind of isolated from the congestion in the area. I worked a project in Sterling and lived with my cousin and her family for the few months I spent there on my way to my next project.

You've chosen a good and beautiful location to settle, go down the road a bit and you're in the Metro-DC hell.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, been quite a while since I was in Great Falls, used to be really nice area. Not sure what is in that area but best bet is to start looking at maps, etc. off of I66 West out of the Metro area for best hunting. The last time I was up the way you are going into to was Vienna, VA at the end of one of the Metro runs and it was busy and really not many places to hunt unless you can get on schools and the parks up there and so many people. I spent years in the Sterling area like DeepseekerADS and it used to be nice but is growing out there too. There are the civilwar battlefields out the Bull Run, Manassas, etc. and there may be farms you can gain access to nearby, if they haven't already been asked or hunted to death. Look up Route 15 into WV and Route 340 into Harpers Ferry, WV. Those may be closer to you for day hunts and have places to check and people on here you can get with to run hunts with. I know that out past Leesburg on Route 7 headed west toward Berryville and the mountains, there are a lot of farms and there may be older Horse farms that you can find to hunt but it will be search and gain permission. I'll see what else I can find.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks man for all the names, nearly everytime I have been to the area it was work related and I got in and out as fast as I could. LOL We are going to be on Piscataway Lane, only a couple houses on the street. During the inauguration we spent a few day in the area just getting a feel for the area but did not really get to explore because I needed to get back to work.

Nice to have actual names though like what you gave, helps to get in a good starting point. Thank you.

Wow, been quite a while since I was in Great Falls, used to be really nice area. Not sure what is in that area but best bet is to start looking at maps, etc. off of I66 West out of the Metro area for best hunting. The last time I was up the way you are going into to was Vienna, VA at the end of one of the Metro runs and it was busy and really not many places to hunt unless you can get on schools and the parks up there and so many people. I spent years in the Sterling area like DeepseekerADS and it used to be nice but is growing out there too. There are the civilwar battlefields out the Bull Run, Manassas, etc. and there may be farms you can gain access to nearby, if they haven't already been asked or hunted to death. Look up Route 15 into WV and Route 340 into Harpers Ferry, WV. Those may be closer to you for day hunts and have places to check and people on here you can get with to run hunts with. I know that out past Leesburg on Route 7 headed west toward Berryville and the mountains, there are a lot of farms and there may be older Horse farms that you can find to hunt but it will be search and gain permission. I'll see what else I can find.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a couple of checks on Great Falls and found these links, sure you may have checked them already but just in case:
https://www.celebrategreatfalls.org/
https://www.celebrategreatfalls.org/history-great-falls/
May find a little bit mare about where you are headed. The history looks interesting and long.
Looking at a map, Great Falls is north east of Reston, Herndon, Sterling, Dulles, Fairfax, NW of Arlington, DC, McLean. North of Manassas and I know there were other MD'ers in that area looking for people to hunt with back end of last year, beginning of this year. Leesburg, Purcellville, Bluemont, Mt. Weather, Round Hill, etc. are west and may be a little less congested and provide better hunting but checking each town ordinances for anything to watch for is just the best precaution. I am sure there are plenty of parks and schools but again, not sure of the access and restrictions but if not posted and nothing in town/city ordinances, go and all they can say is leave.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the heads up and the links, I had not seen these links yet. Thus far all I know of in the area to hunt is my little plot we have, one lot that is not developed across the street and then a stream in the woods right near the house. Normally that alone would keep me busy for about 3 months because I like to grid slowly; however my wife does and two of my kids MD way more than I get to and chances are they will clean these out in a couple weeks.

So I need places they do not know about. LOL We are a nice loving family except when it comes to cycle sports, MDing and business, then we cut each others throats first. LOL It can get pretty bad. LOL

My wife already told me as soon as we get there she will send me off to the hardware store and then her and the kids are going to rape the yard before I get home. LOL So bad.

I did a couple of checks on Great Falls and found these links, sure you may have checked them already but just in case:
https://www.celebrategreatfalls.org/
https://www.celebrategreatfalls.org/history-great-falls/
May find a little bit mare about where you are headed. The history looks interesting and long.
Looking at a map, Great Falls is north east of Reston, Herndon, Sterling, Dulles, Fairfax, NW of Arlington, DC, McLean. North of Manassas and I know there were other MD'ers in that area looking for people to hunt with back end of last year, beginning of this year. Leesburg, Purcellville, Bluemont, Mt. Weather, Round Hill, etc. are west and may be a little less congested and provide better hunting but checking each town ordinances for anything to watch for is just the best precaution. I am sure there are plenty of parks and schools but again, not sure of the access and restrictions but if not posted and nothing in town/city ordinances, go and all they can say is leave.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
she will send me off to the hardware store and then her and the kids are going to rape the yard before I get home. LOL So bad.

I know people who would pay to be allowed to go shopping at the hardware store by their wives lol. So you are moving across the pond again?

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I know people who would pay to be allowed to go shopping at the hardware store by their wives lol. So you are moving across the pond again?

Yeah, new job, new posting, but will only be for a couple years, I hope.

I do miss the US hardware stores though, nothing like we have here in Europe.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That area of Northern Virginia, WEST to Harper's Ferry, Va/W.Va is "stomping grounds" for John S. Mosby, CSA (aka "The Grey Ghost"). He & his REBELS had a SECRET cave in Harper's Ferry, that they "operated" out of; old John Brown Cave...? Dunno, it was next to the Shenandoah River... HAVE NOT found it, yet. HH! Good Luck!

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That area of Northern Virginia, WEST to Harper's Ferry, Va/W.Va is "stomping grounds" for John S. Mosby, CSA (aka "The Grey Ghost"). He & his REBELS had a SECRET cave in Harper's Ferry, that they "operated" out of; old John Brown Cave...? Dunno, it was next to the Shenandoah River... HAVE NOT found it, yet. HH! Good Luck!

Sounds like you may need an extra hand looking for it. I will be there soon enough.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll wish you all a big WELCOME for coming back home. (was also thinking of Rebel-KGC a lot this past week or 2, for some reason :dontknow: glad to see his post.....)

I used your sig, GIBs' line, at the beach yesterday....... :laughing7:
I thought the fella was going to fall out laughing...... :laughing7:

Guess I should add, don't know nothing abut Va area, the Mr is on the Potomac burying an ash mountain, over near DC. Looks like a road trip coming up....... :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on now, I know you know something about DC; its common knowledge it SUCKS there.

GIB could write a book of his quotes, always has some funny stuff to say. I can not even look at the signature without smiling still. I can not even repeat it out loud without laughing.

Road trip sounds good.

I'll wish you all a big WELCOME for coming back home. (was also thinking of Rebel-KGC a lot this past week or 2, for some reason :dontknow: glad to see his post.....)

I used your sig, GIBs' line, at the beach yesterday....... :laughing7:
I thought the fella was going to fall out laughing...... :laughing7:

Guess I should add, don't know nothing abut Va area, the Mr is on the Potomac burying an ash mountain, over near DC. Looks like a road trip coming up....... :laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Sounds like you may need an extra hand looking for it. I will be there soon enough.
Well, this is what I have so far; JSM had a SECRET Valley Farm near Harper's Ferry, Va./W.Va. called SIDEHILL FARM on Dutchman's Creek. The BIG cave was on Dutchman's Creek, where he & his Rangers (43rd Battalion, Virginia Cavalry) would meet & plan Raids, etc.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, this is what I have so far; JSM had a SECRET Valley Farm near Harper's Ferry, Va./W.Va. called SIDEHILL FARM on Dutchman's Creek. The BIG cave was on Dutchman's Creek, where he & his Rangers (43rd Battalion, Virginia Cavalry) would meet & plan Raids, etc.

Good information to start with for sure; however still not my area, I would just be that extra guy on the Team.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, you of all people know that you need a scout for that project. Give us the address and we can hunt it for you and let you know if its a good purchase with lots of finds......Promise not to party to hard...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions