MOSBY'S CONFEDERACY - NOVA

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
This IS an area/history of interest to me... AND! MOSBY'S TREASURES! :laughing7: GREYGHOST! "Google" John S. Mosby - Wiki; 43rd, Virginia Cavalry - Wiki; Mosby Heritage Area Association; Snickers Gap - Wiki; Snickersville Turnpike Association; Col. M0sby had a farm near Harper's Ferry, VA/WVA, and a BIG cave on a creek near his farm, where his REBEL Rangers/Raiders met & planned "War Actions". They came from ALL over up there & lived among the citizens, unlike "regular" REBEL companies during the CONFEDERATE WAR; they were PARTISANS (Cavalry); "lightning" speed... WHOA!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Focusing on his BIG treasure taken from the Yanks in Fairfax, Va. GOLD, SILVER, Families HEIRLOOMS (JEWELRY)... sounds like the BEALE TREASURE (even has a GOOSE CREEK up there)! Beale Treasure was "stated to be" GOLD, SILVER, & JEWELRY (donated to "The CAUSE" by Southern Ladies)! The Heirlooms/Jewelry were taken by the Yanks from various families up there... INTERESTING story! Numerous "small" per legends were buried near the Snickersville Turnpike... dunno. "Google" John Mosby's Buried Treasure (the BIG one); Is there $350.000 Worth of Civil War Treasure Buried in Virginia?; Mosby's Treasure in Virginia; Confederate Treasure on Oakie Treasure Hunter Blog Spot. HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I am almost certain that Col. Mosby took the Snickersville Turnpike, to get to his farm near Harper's Ferry... "google" Snickersville Turnpike Association; GREAT newsletters!

Last edited:

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Mosby's Raiders were around there a lot. I think they were in Middleburg, Aldie, and Upperville which has and had many wealthy families. I will have to google all those sights as soon as company leaves. Thanks for that information.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The Mosby's Raiders were around there a lot. I think they were in Middleburg, Aldie, and Upperville which has and had many wealthy families. I will have to google all those sights as soon as company leaves.
Thanks for that information.
YW & WB!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that brings back memories of when I was a kids and fishing on Goose Creek with my uncle and a cousin a lot. The areas we went were remote, heavily wooded and I bet very inviting 70 to 100 years prior. And for me that is about 50 years ago now. If I knew then to look around and see what else might have been there. We just wanted to fish. Bet a lot is near housing, etc. now. Shame. Worth the research still a lot of horse farms a remote areas that are out of the urban touch.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
All that brings back memories of when I was a kids and fishing on Goose Creek with my uncle and a cousin a lot. The areas we went were remote, heavily wooded and I bet very inviting 70 to 100 years prior. And for me that is about 50 years ago now. If I knew then to look around and see what else might have been there. We just wanted to fish. Bet a lot is near housing, etc. now. Shame. Worth the research still a lot of horse farms a remote areas that are out of the urban touch.
AGREE! HH! Good Luck! Get it before it's all GONE!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Am reading "JSM's" MEMOIRS "on-line"... INTERESTING STUFF! He NEVER surrendered; simply disbanded the 43rd at Salem, Va. All partisans returned home...

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt I could find the fishing spots now if they still exist. Bit off the roads then but now??? The memoirs sound interesting, enjoy. Disbanding from Salem, any loot that was collected would have had lots of areas to be hidden between there and where ever home was!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking for the treasure of General Stoughton from Fairfax Court House forget it, it never happened. I sent a story to Lost Treasure Magazine years ago. Researched and found it to be a false tale. General John Singleton Mosby died a pauper according to his grand-daughter that I talked to.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember in 1958 watching the TV show "The Grey Ghost" about Mosby. There's a few episodes on Youtube, but they're all pretty pour visual quality:

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
If you are looking for the treasure of General Stoughton from Fairfax Court House forget it, it never happened. I sent a story to Lost Treasure Magazine years ago. Researched and found it to be a false tale. General John Singleton Mosby died a pauper according to his grand-daughter that I talked to.
"JSM" was NEVER a General... a Colonel. Doing R & I on him, NOW... :laughing7:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get his autobiography wrote in 1866 by one of his men.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Wife gave me a book for X-Mas; REBEL: The Life & Times of John Singleton Mosby by Kevin H. Siepel... GREAT BOOK! Salem, Va. for the disbanding of his "Command" was MARSHALL, Va. (back then), in NOVA. As I "said"... GREAT BOOK! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
STILL "digging" this stuff. Col. Mosby was even here in Lynchburg, Va. for a while; gotta find that info.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Think it was as the CW "closed down"; he added GOLD/SILVER to the Confederate Treasure in L'burg, which went to VMI... Lynchburg, Va. was the last state capital of Virginia, April 6/7- 10, 1865; after Richmond, Va. "fell".

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread