Richmond Area...

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've looked at this forum before and have been disappointed to see how old the posts are. I figure I should post something new so as not to add to the problem.

I've only been detecting a couple of years but continue to have success looking for civil war relics in this area. I'm looking for someone in the area that wants to go hunting within reasonable driving distance. I have a few permissions down this way too.

Message me if you're interested.

OP
OP
P

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm gonna try to add to this thread every time I log in to keep it fresh. Maybe somebody in the area will want to go scratching. I hope everyone had a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! Richmond is OVER-developed; I would look across the James River, at the "Falls" area, or south on the old highway to Williamsburg, by the James River. TOO many State Parks around there for me; BAH! ANYWAY, HH! Good Luck!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, Dan.

If your offer still stands next Fall, I'd love to join you. My wife and I travel through Virginia each year on our way to Charleston. I always marvel at the beauty of the state and wonder what relics are buried just under the surface. By this time next year I hope to be retired so I can pursue some MD opportunities.
HH
dts

OP
OP
P

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heah ya. A lot of Richmond is unavailable. I actually live in Petersburg so I hunt south of the river almost all of the time usually right here around Petersburg. I am seldom disappointed. Happy hunting to you too.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
History of the Confederate War indicate that "Stores" from Richmond, Va. ($$$$$$$$$$$$) were moved to Lynchburg, Va. April 6-10, 1865; April 6th was "moving day", and 7th-10th, 1865 were "State Operations" days. Going WEST from Richmond, Va. via the OLD Rail Road, MAY be of "interest". By pass Appomattox, Va. and go on to L'burg, Va. where the OLD Va. & Tenn. RR tracks (via) TODAY'S Blackwater Hike/Bike Trail is; it went on to Thaxton Switch, Lowesville, Bedford (then known as LIBERTY), Montvale, Roanoke (aka Big Lick), etc. HH! Good Luck!

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Define "Richmond area"...

Richmond,Mechanicsville Henrico.. etc. I’m trying to get in touch with anyone that may live in the area or Knows if coin shooting is even okay in the parks. I’d say let’s join up, but must people can’t.

OP
OP
P

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still here and hunting. Yes, there are plenty of relic hunters in the Richmond area but we still have some opportunities. After living in Florida for 5 years Virginia is the bomb for relics!

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still here and hunting. Yes, there are plenty of relic hunters in the Richmond area but we still have some opportunities. After living in Florida for 5 years Virginia is the bomb for relics!

I was there last week... couldn’t get a girls grasp on the hunting laws in parks so I skipped hunting up there :’o

OP
OP
P

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems if you sift through all the laws: federal, state and local.. there is some nuance, interpreted by someone that makes metal detecting illegal everywhere except on private land with a permission. We just do our best and ask an authority if we see one.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! I stay away from Fed/State Parks... go to private land surrounding those parks. HH! Good Luck! Have FUN!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If anyone is interested, the City of Danville Parks and Recreation allows detecting in their parks provided you contact them for the permit first from their website. They'll send you a "Metal Detector Usage Permit" plastic card with your name on it and a bar code.

If the Last Capital of the Confederacy does this, maybe some of the other areas will as well.

Do your research, the individual city websites should give you who to contact.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... there is some nuance, interpreted by someone that makes metal detecting illegal everywhere except on private land with a permission....

Well, by your choice of words "nuance", I take it that it's not a "specific" No-md'ing wording that you're alluding to. Right ? And is instead some catch-all wording. Like alter, deface, take, remove, or cultural heritage ? And the "someone" you refer to interprets this to mean "no md'ing". And not only that, but that it subrogates down to all lower levels of public land, on every level ?

For starters: I do not construe catch-all grey verbiage like that to necessarily mean "no md'ing". If someone else thinks that , I will just avoid that one individual. If those type catch-all terms automatically mean "no md'ing", then every single park in the USA is off-limits. Because, likewise, I guarantee you that there's *something * in every single city or county park's rules, that ...... given enough thought, standing on one foot, and squinting real hard, *could* be construed to mean "no md'ing".

If a single "someone" that you allude to has booted or scrammed someone, I do not construe that to constitute gospel law going forward. Perhaps it was a fluke ? Perhaps they were having a bad hair day ? Unless it specifically says "no md'ing", I'm going (barring obvious historic sensitive monuments, of course).

... We just do our best and ask an authority if we see one.

And what do you do if you get a whimsical arbitrary safe answer of "no" ? When in fact no such specific law says such a thing ? Why not look it up for yourself to see ? Why risk the "no one cared till you asked" psychology ?

Oh, and even if you got someone to say "yes", don't think that someone in the field can't still come up and gripe. So you whip out your "permission". They say "I outrank that person, so scram". Or They get on their cell phone, call that person and say "but he's tearing the place up" (which isn't true, of course). Then guess what happens to your permission ?

Just hunt at low traffic times. Heck, it's gotten to where I do most of my nice manicured turf hunting at night these days. So peaceful. So serene :)

OP
OP
P

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, I don't hunt in any parks around here. I've hunted in other areas where hunting in parks is legal but around here I find private land near civil war action.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... where hunting in parks is legal but around here ...

Well going by your own words: " there is some nuance, interpreted by someone that makes metal detecting illegal everywhere " ( italics/bold are mine) , I'm not so sure I'd conclude "illegal".

If we md'rs have to conclude "legal" vs "illegal" by the least common denominator of pencil pushers, then ... you can probably give it up everywhere on all public land. If you found one individual (or he bumped into you in somewhere in the past), who "found a nuance" that he "interpreted" to tell you "scram", then I'm not so sure I would take that to be gospel law going forward.

If it's not specifically saying "no md'ing" (as your own words tend to imply), then ... perhaps that guy is just an isolated fluke ? Not saying not to give lip service at the time. But just saying: An isolated "scram" does not always bode for "hard & fact law" that we subsequently put into the grapevine for all other hobbyists, that "such & such place is off-limits".

I have seen places like that, where some singular occurrence (or odd-ball answer from a city hall desk ) happened. Yet .. years later, no one has ever heard so much as "boo" evermore thereafter.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, we HAVE to go by FEDS Laws, VIRGINIA STATE Laws, & local City/County Laws which MAY be different from your "Cally"/California experiences...

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...which MAY be different from your "Cally"/California experiences...

Well, they can be looked up for oneself. Eh ? And if they don't specifically say "no md'ing", then presto: It's not prohibited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread