How many of you are in Southwest Virginia?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'm from around Blue Ridge. I'm retired military and new to Metal Detecting. Just been out around where I live trying to get the hang of it and ran across an 1876 seated Liberty dime. Would like to hunt with people who know what they're doing and where to hunt.

Check out Montvale, Va. "area" for the BEALE TREASURE! HH! Good Luck!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
My father and that side of my family are from Grayson County, but had moved to Marion, VA by the time I remember visiting my grandparents in the late 1960's. When I got (kit built) my first Radio Shack detector in the mid 1970's, I took it with me on a trip to visit my Grandmother, eager to get out and find some coins with it. Me getting out to play with my detector was in no way a major part of our family trip that year, but to pacify me we took a scenic drive out to White Top mountain where (as I remember it from my early teens), my Grandmother said that Eleanor Roosevelt spoke in the 1930's to a gathering of around 3000 people. When we finally got there, I only got to walk around with my detector for about 10 minutes, and dug no targets, due to my Mom fearing I would find a rattlesnake instead of a coin. Just curious if anyone here has ever heard of, or tried hunting that site? It may be something for someone currently in that area to look into. HH

Bushmaster

Sep 19, 2014
Bristol VA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in Bristol just ordered my first detector hope to find some local people that can show me the ropes lol

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious if anyone here has ever heard of, or tried hunting that site? It may be something for someone currently in that area to look into. HH

I'd never heard of this event, but then again I don't know where White Top Mountain is either.... Pardon my duh times....

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of you guys around the Wise area still hunt? I've only met one other person around here who does. I usually go solo which is fine, but it would be great to meet up with anyone else! I'm still relatively new at MDing but I've really enjoyed my Fisher F2 so far!

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey you guys in south west Virginia I have an idea but... anyone know the countryside golf course that closed down in Roanoke? how would we find someone who could give permission to hunt there, I know there was a man made swimming lake there the neighborhood streets reflect that fact may be a good site.

LandKruiser

Feb 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey donj, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the city/county own the property now?

Last edited:

micro065

May 13, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac & Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Wytheville. We just moved down here from the Cleveland ohio area in November. If anyone is close and would like to hunt together just let me know.

Traviesty

Jun 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im new to the hobby. I live in galax. Would like to know some people from around here. Im a truckdriver/family man but would like to find some nice places to go.. And know the spots that are no no's. Lol

Tnpaw

Nov 17, 2016
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Treasure Pro, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter ll
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to MD! Very! I live in Wythe Co! Close to Sheffey School! I am retired so can go most days!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm here at Smith t. Lake Va.

TWray

Sep 5, 2016
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m in Roanoke. I’ve plugged away around town with a few good finds. I can’t seem to find that silver streak. I could use some company and maybe a few tips. I wouldn’t mind venturing out.

relichunter86

Mar 9, 2018
PENHOOK, VA
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklinhunter, RTR, TWray I LIVE IN SNOW CREEK PART OF FRANKLIN COUNTY ! WOULD LOVE TO DO SOME HUNTING WITH YOU GUYS

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread