How many of you are in Southwest Virginia?

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT SunRay DX-1 Garrett ACE 250, Fisher VLF-555D Pro, Fisher VLF-552D
I live in SW Va and have been hunting since the 1970s. I'm wondering if there are others in this area that hunt Civil War relics and coins. The days are gone when I could go out and find 100 or so miniballs and a pocket full of silver but still I find a few items that are exciting stuff. Let me know if you are in this area and what you have been finding. Also are there any clubs in SW Va or upper east Tennessee?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live in SW Virginia. Grew up there. Started MDing at age 13. I still visit a couple times a year. Whereabouts you live, General? I used to live near Blacksburg/Christiansburg. Oh, and there are still a couple places left in Virginia where you can dig 100 minies in a day...

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
Gen. Breckinridge

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT SunRay DX-1 Garrett ACE 250, Fisher VLF-555D Pro, Fisher VLF-552D
I live in Marion Buckleboy, about 60 miles west of Blacksburg. We had a little 2 day battle here in December of 1864 that has rewarded me plenty. General Breckinridge was the Confederate General so my nickname on the board. He and his 1,200 men were opposed by Gen. Stoneman's 3,000 or more troops. I'm now 60 years old and still can go hunting but not for as long as I used to. Wal-Mart has bought the ground where the Yankees were so that ground will no longer be available to hunt after construction starts. Where do you live now?

BuckleBoy said:
I used to live in SW Virginia. Grew up there. Started MDing at age 13. I still visit a couple times a year. Whereabouts you live, General? I used to live near Blacksburg/Christiansburg. Oh, and there are still a couple places left in Virginia where you can dig 100 minies in a day...

Regards,

Buckleboy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Louisville, KY now but I still go back to visit immediately after Christmas and before New Year's Day each year. I occasionally get there in the summertime to visit as well. I am familiar with that battle, but have never done much hunting there. Usually working the areas associated with Brig. Gen. Averell and Crook's campaigns.

Regards,

Buckleboy

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220 and Minelab X-Terra-70
I reside in Pulaski Co Virginia about 6 miles from Cloyde Mountain Battle sight. Was searching this site Tuesday Nov.12 and recovered a two ringer . Lived in Richmond area for 12 yrs and hunted the Cold Harbor and Seven Days battle sights quite often. Would like to meat and talk with others from this area. Retired so I have plenty of time. Tom Bentley

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

I live on the VA border and would like to meet up with others hunting over in Va.

Dirtdiggler, have you hunted the Battle of Cranesnest?

Cavers5

DirtDiggler

Jan 14, 2007
Pound, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
No, I haven't hunted the cranes nest battlefield. Would like to though. I haven't gotten around to stopping and talking to the landowners. Get up with me caver and we will do some hunting. Been doing alot of research and not enough swinging the detector lately! lol

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Im in Coeburn Va. Dirtdigger do you hunt much I am in need of a hunting partner. Pound is just a few miles down the road:-)

DirtDiggler

Jan 14, 2007
Pound, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Hunting for me has been sorta slow right now because I have been working so much and the holidays. I can't wait to get back out there and start digging!! Shouldn't be to long. Get up with me klava and I'll see if we can get a hunt going somewhere. I am through Coeburn all the time. ;D

sonarmansubs

Jan 25, 2008
wytheville, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Whites
Howdy Genl. I live in Wytheville. Just getting back in MD'n. Can't hardly wait for spring. Sorry about Wallyworld taking the land. Maybe we can find some stuff sometime. I have a brand new 1989 white eagle II sl. Black one that was only used a few days and retired due to my laziness. I hear it's still a decent machine. I plan to get another when I can decide which one I want so many to choose from. I am kinda leaning on a Pulse machine to use at beach and I don't mind digging you never know what it may be. Later.

Attachments

• tami\'s pics 006.jpg
    tami\'s pics 006.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 818

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm not in SWVA per se - but I'm in Northeast TN in the Church Hill area. As the crow flies only about 10 miles from the line.

outdoors2i

Greenie
Mar 25, 2008
Henry Co, VA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX w/ x-1 probe & sunray pro phones
I'm right near the county lines of Henry, Patrick, and Franklin, with Philpott Lake in the center. Over this past winter was doing some research after talking with the state wildlife manager for this area and was saddened to find out that the local Indians that lived here prior to1710 had 3 large villiages along the Smith River which were flooded when they built the lake back in the mid 50's. I live less than 2 miles from 1 village that is below the dam site and have actually found shards of pottery and arrowheads and chert chippings along 1 of my creek bottoms(about 10 yards above an old moonshiner's still site that I have found 2" copper tubing, melted lead and several don't knows). Even found the rock foundation to the shack the moonshiner lived in while running his small operation.(Found 1911 Barber V coin in the center of the 12X12 shack rock foundation and several spoons, forks, butter knives, and rusty cans in the dump site with some nice small cork bottles). Found several forged tools around my 11 acres and lots of broken plow points. And to top it off this area was once prospected because of a quartz vein with magnetite, hematite, and just enough color in your pan to get your heart pounding!! Maybe??? Hello everyone, Gary :icon_pirat:

tia

Jul 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Quick Draw II/ automax v4 pinpointer
chilhowie....land of many deer and pull tabs....

from chilhowie here. just started MDing. not looking for anything in particular. just like the excitement of finding. have a quick draw II. little timid about hunting on even public land. never know i guess.
if anyone has a club or the desire to start one in this area please let me know...
tia

clifton15

Jul 6, 2008
live in wise...just now getting my knees dirty...anyone know some good areas to dig up some civil war relicts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread