Block House in Bedford County, Va.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Does ANYONE know where it was...? On the GREAT WESTERN ROAD (Rt. 460) towards Roanoke...? "Meeting up" with the Old Wagon Road/Warrior's Path (Rt. 11)...? :dontknow:

Are you talking about the Wilderness Road Blockhouse? This...

IMG_3734.PNG

Kace

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Nah... info was about one in Bedford County, Va. I know of a Fort Bedford in Pennsylvannia, and I think SOMEONE in the "past" confused Bedford County, Va. with Bedford County, Pa. Such MAY be true, about the BEALE PAPERS PAMPHLET "Treasure". Dunno.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Will have to look at an OLD map of Bedford County, Va. (colonial days); MAY get a "clue" from that...

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nah... info was about one in Bedford County, Va. I know of a Fort Bedford in Pennsylvannia, and I think SOMEONE in the "past" confused Bedford County, Va. with Bedford County, Pa. Such MAY be true, about the BEALE PAPERS PAMPHLET "Treasure". Dunno.

Ok...That one I posted is in Virginia...I could be wrong but I'm thinking it was moved to its current location.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
This just popped in my head..I don't know if it's the same back East.

Milk Houses here were also called Block Houses....during your search, maybe use that term too and see what comes up. Just a thought.

Kace

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I DO remember that Thomas Jefferson wanted a Military Institute (Fort...?) on the WESTERN frontier of Virginia (now we have VMI in Lexington, Va.); I think it was as Prez… It MAY have been, when he was Governor of Virginia. Was to protect from Indians, French, Brits., & WILD frontiers folks.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Will have to look at an OLD map of Bedford County, Va. (colonial days); MAY get a "clue" from that...

There was a conflict or siege there. It was colonial times. Look up Wilderness Road Blockhouse.

It's been awhile since I was out that way to remember the details and I didn't read the articles since I didn't know if that's what you wanted.

Kace

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
FOUND IT! It was on the OLD Great Western Road near Taylor's mountain; placed there to protect Bedford County settlers from the "Indians".

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
FOUND IT! It was on the OLD Great Western Road near Taylor's mountain; placed there to protect Bedford County settlers from the "Indians".
"Native People" (Monacan Nation) had a HUGE Burial Mound in today's Montvale, Va. (still there today); a VERY Sacred place & NEVER mentioned in the BEALE PAPERS PAMPHLET.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Quakers from Lynchburg tried to start a Meeting House on or near "The Mound"; Monacans WERE NOT amused, so they killed all the Quakers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions