Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Ron and Ann are busy dealing with the folks that don't want us to hunt, so I thought I would provide a few tips and lessons learned from our previous two hunts at Pipsico, for those of you that may be new to the group.

Things to Bring

We will be camping , so make sure you bring:

Tent, tarp, sleeping bag/blankets, pillow, light (lantern, flashlight, head lamp), tent pegs, etc. IF ANY OF YOU NEED A TENT, LET ME KNOW, I HAVE AN EXTRA ONE.

Clothing:

Don't count on perfect weather, though the end of March in Southern VA is usually pretty nice. Don't forget:

Rain gear (poncho, pants), digging clothes, extra socks, comfortable boots/shoes - we will be on our feet most of the day, warm clothes to sleep in (may still get chilly at night)

Other things:

Bug spray, camera, extra batteries for camera and MD, metal detector, digging tools, extra coils (there are good spots for both shooter coils and deep coils at this site), money, food/water, maps or photos of the area if you have them.

I am going to try and print several copies of aerial photos and the better maps of the area for everyone. I have access to a nice color plotter, and I printed an 1864 Surry County atlas that lists the Dillard residence, as well as others in the area. It's 22 x 34 and I can hopefully have it lamenated. DCMatt has a great aerial photo of the area from the 1930's that has some "curious" spots on it that definitely need to be checked out this time.

Anyone else that has been here before, please feel free to add any suggestions to this post.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stacylee926 said:
Did I miss something??? Are we tent camping this time?
Stacy

We are staying at Camp Kiwanis again, and there are no scout tents there. We all slept in our own tents last time. There is a nice pavilion there with a fireplace and tables though.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EX2user said:
Kiros32 you left out the coffe pot and Frank's Hot Sauce for your chili.

I will gladly make another pot of chili and buy an extra large bottle of Frank's this time. And someone definitely needs to bring a coffee pot again.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Kiros32 said:
Stacylee926 said:
Stacy

We are staying at Camp Kiwanis again, and there are no scout tents there. We all slept in our own tents last time. There is a nice pavilion there with a fireplace and tables though.

Thanks for the clarification!! We may not be able to make it this time - something has come up that weekend and we have decisions to make, but I will get out the tent and dust it off :)

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kiros32 said:
Stacylee926 said:
Stacy

Use of the pavillion (with lights and tables) was great.

The big fireplace provided a terrific place for us to gather.

And just so no one is surprised... There are no "facilities" at the Kiwanas camp - only an outhouse.

One more thing to consider - no open fires. This was the rule last fall. I assume the rule will be the same this time. Several people brought small gas stoves last time.

DCMatt

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OMG...I can't wait....WE CAN HUNT...WHOO HOO>>>>>>>>>>>>YIPPIE

I told SI (our Oldest Eagle Scout and retired Navy Captain!!!) last night at our BS Meeting.....he was very upset when I told him of all we went through lately. He said, "Anytime you EVER have a problem again...YOU TELL ME!!!" He's very happy we are authorized AGAIN!!! So next time, I am going straight to SI!!!!

I am hoping he can come up that Saturday night...ya'll would love him and he can tell you some stories and the knowledge he has of the camp is astounding!!! We were talking last night and he wants to get some of the scouts up there to learn about the stars and stuff. I told him he should plan that when we go up...that way the boys can see what WE DO and also camp overnight and learn the sky from him!!!

So, I will let ya'll know if we will have the pleasure of SI at our hunt!

See ya'll in about 14 days...I am sending out a mass PM to all that have an interest in being at the hunt and to those have been before and to those who have confirmed....so sorry if I am sending out what you already know....I would love to have a count of all that will be there.....

PLEASE RESPOND IN PM...I can keep better track that way and then I will post all who have responded!!

Thanks...I'M SO EXCITED and I got a new laptop....can't wait to use it..now I can download pics as taken and if something does not come out right, I can take it again!!

WHOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Annmarie

PS: we will have a big Saturday night dinner......Kiros, would you be able to keep track of who is bringing what? Thanks :-*

I don't know what food I will bring yet for Saturday, but I will let you know...

but we will be bringing plates, bowls, silverware, napkins, paper towels, toilet paper (just incase ;)), string to grid off the areas, my laptop and camera and possibly my scanner if I can get it to work with my new laptop, we will bring an extra tent, coffee pot, cooking stove and I have a small portable little bbq grill that I will bring as well.....

Infact, we will bring some hot dogs, beans, and the fixings and hamburger for bbq...so put us down for that....k?

Oh boy...you just don't know how excited I am!!!!!
See ya'll there,
Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions