Chincoteague Island

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Re: Chincoteague Island...

:D The TOWN of Chincoteague is NOT "fed land"... you PROBABLY want the DUNES of ASSATEAGUE ISLAND, which IS "fed land' as ASSATEAGUE ISLAND NATIONAL SEASHORE; I LOVE that area, and YES! there are "legends" of PIRATES TREASURES there... (and a WONDERFUL. operating LIGHTHOUSE!). ;D

OP
OP
S

senhammer

Jul 13, 2008
Thanks Rebel, that is what I was hoping to hear. ASSATEAGUE ISLAND I had read was a national park and therefore figured it was "off-limits". But I was just hoping to comb the beaches on Chincoteague to kill abit of time. And thanks for confirming what I have read about there being "treasure" in the area. I have read that a ship had sunk off Assateague Island carrying some valuable cargo and would be thrilled if I found just about anything that storms might have washed over and up onto to the shore. Thanks again... and happy hunthing

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D Yep! THAT is ONE of the treasure legends of VA EASTERN SHORE; unfortunately, "Chinco" has NO "shoreline" to MD, and IF.. a place is a FED/STATE PARK... THEY found SOMETHING previously and want to discourage OTHERS from "hunting" in THAT area. E.S. has LOTS of "pirate treasures" legends; especially along the ATLANTIC OCEAN "FRONT". Try further SOUTH near the SOUTH end of the "island"; even into the CHESAPEAKE BAY, there are "legends" of pirate treasure... "colonial" treasures... "Indian" treasures... Good Luck HH :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks Rebel, that is what I was hoping to hear. ASSATEAGUE ISLAND I had read was a national park and therefore figured it was "off-limits". But I was just hoping to comb the beaches on Chincoteague to kill abit of time. And thanks for confirming what I have read about there being "treasure" in the area. I have read that a ship had sunk off Assateague Island carrying some valuable cargo and would be thrilled if I found just about anything that storms might have washed over and up onto to the shore. Thanks again... and happy hunthing
Pirate Treasure was stated to have been buried on Assateague Island (VA State Park) on the NORTH side (near Maryland State Line) by PIRATE Charlie Wilson, between two pine tree... NOTHING found; being in a STATE PARK...AND! "FED-LAND", it IS "off-limit"; we can STILL go to A.I. for a "walk-a-bout" & wife and I did such...LOVED THE A.I. Lighthouse! HH! Good Luck! Have FUN! :icon_thumleft:8-)

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANOTHER "Pirate Legend" involved BLACKBEARD, who was reported to have "buried" something near Tangier Island of today. Back then, T.I. was a resort/retreat of sort for the native American POCOMOKE ppl of the Eastern Shore, and near-by was SMITH Island (named for John Smith). Smith Island later had a Light-House; both S.I. & Light-house no longer exists... taken by the waves of Chesapeake Bay. Tangier Island will ALSO be underwater in about 75 years, no longer in existence... so SEE IT WHILE YOU CAN. Wife & I MAY take the ferry to T.I. from Onancock, Va. on the VES. Ferry Boat; Joyce Marie II... Departure Times 10 am & 5:30 pm. NEXT year, wife & I may stay at a B & B on T. I.; there are 3! MAY also look for Oysters! YUM!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
SO! After Labor Day, 2018... wife & I are gonna go back to VES. MdES (Maryland Eastern Shore) may also be "explored"; she is from Maryland, but has never been there. I have and really liked Salisbury, Md.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
BB's ship was ambushed in the Chesapeake Bay, near Tangier Island... according to some "sources". MAY have been other Pirates or the Pocomoke Nation "Indians", who used Tangier Island as a Resort/Retreat area... I wouldn't be amused either. BB dumped a treasure chest or something in the waters of the CB, near T.I.; STILL doing R & I on this...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
There were at least 3 other Pirates that sent their ships into the Chesapeake Bay to make repairs on their ships; MAYBE even burying their "loots"... heh!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
A few other Chesapeake Bay Pirates were The Davis Trio of Edward Davis, Lionel Wafer, & John Hinson; they were captured & jailed. SOME of their "loot" was utilized to "found" the College of William & Mary (MAY have been BUCCANEERS). Theophilus Turner (captured & jailed in England); treasure was confiscated; STILL doing R & I.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, went to T.I. from E.S. (Onancock) years ago, digging for OYSTERS... HEH! It was FUN! Didn't see anyone MD'ing... WATERMAN "wanna-be"!

Last edited:

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D Yep! THAT is ONE of the treasure legends of VA EASTERN SHORE; unfortunately, "Chinco" has NO "shoreline" to MD, and IF.. a place is a FED/STATE PARK... THEY found SOMETHING previously and want to discourage OTHERS from "hunting" in THAT area. E.S. has LOTS of "pirate treasures" legends; especially along the ATLANTIC OCEAN "FRONT". Try further SOUTH near the SOUTH end of the "island"; even into the CHESAPEAKE BAY, there are "legends" of pirate treasure... "colonial" treasures... "Indian" treasures... Good Luck HH :wink:
Hello, wanting to go to Chincoteague in the fall to do some detecting. I am wondering by "South end" do you mean the Assateague Island Hook, the very southern tip, past the OSV? Actually is that all OSV and still part of the National seashore? Or does it end at some point? Hard to tell on Google maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread