which salt water metal detector is the best?

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I use a Tesoro Sand Shark to metal detect in the surf...
I am not satisfied with that detector... :'( I can not keep it on the bottom, the tip is too flimsy plus everytime I touch something it beeps. It is good on wet sand though.
I would like to read about the experiences with metal detectors used in salt water beaches in the surf....If anyone can recommend a good solid, stable surf detector , I would appreciate whatever information I could get...Lou

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Let me just give you my 2 cents. I've been using the White's PI Pro. It has found alot of gold/silver & platinum. But it drives me nuts! It beeps if you bump something, it beeps if a wave passes over. it beeps if you lift it up a hair. It goes nuts while I'm digging a target in the surf. Lets just say there's alot of cursing going on, but it does what it's supposed to, find the good stuff. But I'm going to find a different primary machine. I'm in Hawaii where the surf is nasty, when I was in Florida this worked much better. Don't know if this helps at all.

Slugrusher

This post is a good ???

I've only been here for roughly a week. Like many I always thought about MD as something to fill my time.

I live in South Florida and had thought about the Garrett's, since they are fully submersible. Well turns out
(yesterday) my boat became a sub. It's an inflatable (bottom too) the keel tore away from the tubes just
under the bow. Hopefully repairable.

Anyhow...What is the BEST detector under say $800 for the surf, beach and underwater of a max 10 feet.

I was sold on the Garrett. But I got to thinking I have a Garrett at my disposal whenever I need it.

So for SHALLOW surf, beach and the local parks. What is a good choice?

I've read so much I'm just overwhelmed now.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rsc said:
Fisher CZ20 if you can find one. HH Gayle

Yeah. If you can get Fisher Lab's Customer Service from 20 years ago to go with it. They SUCK!

Just look at different surf and sand hunting forums and you will see beyond a shadow of ANY doubt that Minelab Excalibur Rules. You can dive with it, then reconfigure it for beach hunting. When it comes to surf/beach hunting I have used nothing but Excalibur since about 1997.

Best-Mike

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like my Minelab Excalibur 1000 although I have not heard good things about the new Excalibur II.

NJ

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal is hard to beat!