What is the weirdest or dumbest thing youve done MDng?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What is the weirdest or dumbest thing you've done MD'ng?

My first & only semi key coin - 1918d.... ;D

Attachments

• 1918d slq front.jpg
    1918d slq front.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 532
  • 1918d slq back.jpg
    1918d slq back.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 534
  • 1918d slq front.jpg
    1918d slq front.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 533
  • 1918d slq back.jpg
    1918d slq back.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 526

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That 1918-d SL quarter looks kinda like the 1918-s that I found.

Attachments

• 1918 s.jpg
    1918 s.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 516

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bk said:
That 1918-d SL quarter looks kinda like the 1918-s that I found.

:tongue3:

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Had not been detecting long, so used to carry the detector in one hand, and a big bucket in the other hand. I went to this gold mine property and saw an old building, I thought I would poke my head through the window to see what was inside. While looking inside, I heard a funny noise, when I twisted my head around and looked up there was a wasp nest about 1 foot in diameter about 3 inches above my head..... Those wasps chased me across the field with the metal detctor and bucket in hand ;D

God bless
Peter

B

BIG61AL

Done the steel toed boots thing - once. I tried to detect a sled hill that had just been rained on and I slipped and slid about 5 feet. Caked with mud from my ankle to my butt. I am always stepping on my head phone wire and then standing up. I feels so stupid when that happens. How about trying to dig a target with a really sharp knife and stabbing my palm?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1: Went camping one summer about 7 yrs back for a week - loaded up the jeep and suv with all of our usual camping gear, kids stuff, clothing/travel bags, tents, cooking stuff, kyaks, wet-suit/water gear, my cz20 for water hunting, etc. etc.

Got to the campsite, set up, etc. then went to go hit the lake for some ring/jewelry hunting and realized I left my scoop at home. That really sucked since I spent the entire week next to a lake I had been wanting to detect for like 5 yrs but coudn't hunt it!

2: Was hunting deep in the woods up north one eve. in the fall about 15 yrs back and it got dark sooner than anticipated (or I lost track of time) and I couldn't find my way out! I spent the entire night in the woods trying to sleep up against a tree with a small campfire for warmth as I was under dressed (it was approx. 60 degrees that day) but more like 35 that night so it was a long cold night in complete darkness except for the campfire, and I couldn't sleep a wink due to the fact that bears roam those woods and that's all I could think about every time I heard a noise! The next day I heard some 4x4 quads in the distance and finally ran into one of the riders who gave me a ride out to the co. road which was only about 4 blocks from where I stopped walking & spent the night ;D

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540

Back when I was lacking in the pinpointing department, I dug a dime that made its way into the drop cloth without me seeing it. I rechecked the hole and now the solid signal moved to the other side of the hole towards the drop cloth. So i pulled the drop cloth full of dirt back and widened the hole and rechecked. Still on the move! Starting to think I'm tracking a gopher wearing a silver necklace. I widened the hole 2 or three more times chasing the signal towards myself before I realized it was on the edge of the drop cloth the whole time. :BangHead:
Then while hunting in the woods this year I got a good signal under some leaves. It was a sweet homemade coin probe, but a bit rusty. I realized it was the one I lost last year. :BangHead:
I thought I was the only one ever dumb enough to do the steel toed boot thing. I feel better reading this post knowing there are others. Only problem was it took much of the day before I figured out there was nothing wrong with my detector. :BangHead: JJ

VonDigger

Dec 13, 2009
Baden, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I haven't been detecing very long, and I have done the ring thing a few times, infact at least once a trip I do that LOL DUH :tongue3:.

But This is the funniest thing I was INVOLVED with.. A buddy of mine was hiking one day at Raccoon Creek State Park. Well someplace along the way he lost his car keys. Knowing i just got a MD he called me to help him find them. Well i get there and asked him where all he went. This was a bad question in some ways, good in others. So he gave me his route and told me he will show me some of the places he stopped and rested or went off the trail to check something out. So we started at the passenger door of his car and proceeded to hike close to 10 miles with me swing the MD back and forth looking for the "lost" car keys. I didn't find much, just some junk that we pciked up and brought back with us, but no keys, not a key one found anywhere. He was mad, very very mad, and leaned up against his car hard and was sulking when i caught a little glimmer coming from inside. His car keys were still in the ignition. I never laughed so hard in my life and wanted to beat the snot of of someone at the same time. He better be happy my BH was still brand new. LOL

Erin
"VonDigger"

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

gawd you people are funny!! Only thing I did seeing I am new at this was yesterday while detecting at a totlot I was going around the edges where there was a concrete retainer wall well I got a good signal so started digging after a little bit of digging not finding anything but detector was going off decided oh well and moved on well a couple of feet farther got another hit so started digging. Didn't find anything there either so got up and moved on went a couple of feet farther got another hit but instead of digging I decided to try the concrete so scanned it and yep been detecting the rebar in the concrete.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kept passing a plug under my coil, getting a signal but the plug was empty, had my watch on ???

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star

guess I better come clean........ I had just purchased my explorer pro and was like most of us with a new toy. A few friends as well as my girlfriend had decided to hit a few old farm houses on this beautiful fall day. Not being familiar with the operations or tones of this wonderful new and "expensive" machine I began slowly working the front yard to this old home. My girlfriend not being a detectorist was following along in wonderment watching her boyfriend strut his stuff. After a while with not many signals I finally got a wierd weak beep and thought what the heck I'll give it a look see. I carefully laid out my towel to collect any loose dirt and cut a perfect C shaped plug. I pulled all the loose dirt out and layed it on the towel and began scanning with my pinpointer. To my surprise in the loose pile of dirt out pops a very large warty toad! Glad I spent 1500 bucks on a toad detector :tongue3:

Slipperyjack47

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was hunting a tot lot with several kids around. I was wearing a pair of loafers with slick soles. As I was getting up from sifting some sand my foot slipped and I did a complete backward summer salt! I got up and pretended I meant to do it and all the while the kids stopped what they were doing and just stared open mouthed! When they went back to playing I knew my ruse had worked......until I looked over at the parents on a bench who were laughing their butts off. I slinked away and got to my car and drove off feeling like a total idiot. Monty

Adventure Wolf

Mar 28, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discover

I tried to metal detect in a packed junkyard. I didn't find anything, because I kept detecting the junk cars.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My neighbor lost a small watch type gear in the carpet on the floor boards of his car. He wanted me to find it with my detector. Eh...what about the metal floor boards? I found them easy. Monty

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI

stoney56 said:
How about forgetting to take your ring off while waving clumps of dirt under the coil?

haha! I put my glove on and started waving handfuls of dirt and every handful i got a strong signal! then i realised i forgot to take my watch off! very dumb of me :tongue3:

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone

Hello, I am a new member, been lurking and reading for several months. I had to join this subject. Several years ago I was invited to detect a yard near Shiloh battleground. the lady was nice and showed us some relics she picked out of her garden. I was eager to get started, sure enough my first hole produced a .69 three ringer. The second target was much different, I cut her telephone line in two places. The rest of the day was spent repairing her phone line.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II

Scariest thing happened the other day . I am just digging away at a target and this golden retriever comes up and licks my face before i saw or heard him . I fell over thinking I was going to jhave a heart attack . and the big dummy proceded to give me a bath at the amusment of the owner . The more I laughed the more he was licking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread