What is the weirdest or dumbest thing youve done MDng?

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
What is the weirdest or dumbest thing you've done MD'ng?

Its not the dumbest I've ever done however last Monday was a nice day to out hunting, so I got all my gear on and headed out. Put on my headphone and was hunting in a field I thought everything was a little quite, to quite after about 45 minutes I decided to sit down and take a break, reached down to turn the detector off and found out the reason that it so quite was because I hadn't turned it on yet. Ever happen to u? I could also add to this, "The scarest thing"

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
Re: What is the weirdest or dumbest thing you've done MD'ng?

On the way home from work I had noticed this rock area that looked manmade by an old long abandoned RR track so I pulled over climbed a 30 ft almost cliff and turned the machine on. Every step I took the thing sounded off but when i tried pinpointing there was nothing. About twenty minutes of this and I was getting quite disgusted, Then I looked down and realized that I was wearing my steel toed boots.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

These are classic. You can only laugh at yourself and give yourself a break. You may have read already I had my worst today. Drove at least 45 minutes and opened the trunk to find I had forgotten my detector.

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III

Well, I spent about a half an hour playing with my DFX trying to get it to load up and it would just begin flickering the screen. I tried pulling the battery pack with it on and all. No deal. I drove home and got the MXT, drove back and detected. Later after returning home I realized the trigger was forward on the DFX and that was what was stopping the load up of the programs. Lesson learned there! I have also have done the steel toed boot thing too. Lessons learned.

Rich

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was in a hurry to go detecting and I wore my steel toed boots also. Got weird signals and realized what I did. Dont feel bad,it was funny later after you got home. I also took a pea in the woods and a couple came up to me to ask what I was finding. I almost didnt get my zipper back up!! Hey sometimes you think nobody is around. I try to be careful from now on.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

How about forgetting to take your ring off while waving clumps of dirt under the coil?

B

Bigiflionsmal4bear

On a very cold day had hiked up to about 8300'. Dug up what may or may not be a lead ball from the Hawkins rifle, circa 1860, and was enjoying the scenery. Spotted 24 mule deer in a column, just like the cavalry, and many coyote, bobcat, and cougar tracks. Many of the pine trees had been felled and
blackened by lightning, so I searched the sky for dark clouds. Just then I realized that it would be dark in about 1 hour, but the car was 2 hours away. I decided to abandon the deer trails and run down the slope instead. Got back to the car about 15 minutes after sunset and shook the rocks and stickers from my boots. Later, while going over the day's events at home, it occurred to me that running triggers a most unwanted response in predators, and for a while I was lunch on wheels (and slow ones at that).
Nowadays, I walk out, no matter how late it is.

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

so far just the steel toe boots

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pushing down on an electric fence with a rotten tree limb, putting one leg over the fence and ....
I think you can figure out the rest.

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

i guess a new poll could be how many people have detected their boots

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

well when I got my current machine I went right to the beach and took my "Metal" sand scoop with me. I flipped on the detector and kept getting signals but no object found. Then I realized that the detector was so powerful, that it was picking up the scoop at over 2 feet from ground. This was never an issue with my last two top-of-the-line detectors and it was at that point I realized that this detector was gonna kick some butt!

Last year a road was blocked and prevented my normal path to a fav. spot. Using another approach, I came upon a creek about 30 feet wide. So i picked out a safe looking point and started to cross. At about the center of this fast moving creek some of the boulders were covered with??? Yep that green slimy stuff that loves to grow in fresh water. It was quite slippery and I almost landed in the creek along with my expensive MD. I had kept my shoes "ON", and they probably saved me from a very
embarrassing story.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wouldn't say this is Dumb. and I guess Not Realy Weird for me, BUT, the only thing that comes to mind is, One day While doing a Drained Lake, My Sister-in-law & my Nephew stopped by to say Hi & see how I was Doing. I was standing talking to them, and my detector was on. My nephew was kicking the dirt as we were standing there, and all of a sudden My Detector went off. I looked down and saw a Ladies ring & picked it up to see a Nice Diamond. My Sis-in-Law took a look at it & said, it looked like a fifth of a carat (She Knows Her Diamonds). The next thing she says is "If You Decide To Sell It, Let me know first". I told her she could have it. It isn't that It bothers me I gave it to her, It Bothers Me, I didn't at least Look it over alot better. Any-way, I told my Nephew he can follow me & kick dirt any time he wants now.? ;D

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny

The stupidest thing I've seen was my buddy detecting along and he gets a signal. He digs it up and goes over the hole, no signal. Goes over the dirt pile still on his shovel and he gets a huge signal. It took him almost 2 minutes to realize that he put the target back in the hole and he was detecting his shovel the whole time.Another time I forgot to stop and get batteries and got my gear and drinks for the day out on the beach only to find my detector is a dead horse. At least I was only 15 minutes from the store.

DiggerX

Feb 18, 2005

The dumbest, and probably the scariest thing I've done on land (versus U/W detecting) was during a trip nugget shooting. I was in an area that had a lot of boulders, and a healthy rattlesnake population. I was going past a small group of boulders, and stopped to check out a sig. I'd taken off my phones to give my ears a rest, and heard the telltale rattle. Looking over to my left, there was a rattler. It was one of the first times I'd encountered a rattlesnake in the wild, plus I was young and stupid. ;) I took my coil, meaning to flick it away from me, but somehow it caught on the coil long enough that when I flicked it, it swirled around back towards me and flew right between my legs. I was lucky though, and wasn't tagged.

I bought the drinks that night. ;)

Doc

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was one of my first times relic hunting, I was getting really good at using the detector to scan the dirt as I passed handfulls over it. This method was fine until I got a signal, then it went away, then it came back. Frustrated I stopped and thought, as I reached my hand towards the detector I saw the problem, my watch. As soon as I removed it no more false readings. This has also happened with metal snaps on my coat sleeves. They don,t call them metal detectors for nothing.

Ed.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

buy a bounty hunter before christmas and my better half got me a better onealready!guess which one went back?hers!

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X

Well fellow treasure hunters, I think I got you all beat! It was a cold winters day back in 1964 and a fellow treasure hunter stopped by my home and told me he just heard from a person he had talked to of a farmer that died and was thought to have buried silver coin on his farm. So we drove to the farm to have a quick look, thinking when the weather warmed up to try and check out the place. We found no one living on the place and a barn by the side of the road, It was all open so we stepped inside to have a quick look. We noticed 2 malk cans under 6" of ice it milk cooler. We looked around some and left. Only to find out later the person that bought the place found the milk cans full of silver coins. Hid in plain site. We took turns kicking each others butt.

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow Monk, that really bites! At least you guys are probably saving us noobs some pain by posting these little tidbits.

Boaz

Greenie
Jan 28, 2005
middle Tennessee

I pulled up to an old church and stepped out of the car ... I was looking at all the possibilities around the church. Becoming aware of a 'flopping around' underfoot, I looked down to find that I was standing on a rattlesnake! As luck would have it, I was standing on the snake's head. It was a fatal encounter for the snake, and a lesson in awareness for me.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

well..Ive done the steel toe boot thing.. the scoop on a string thing..the forgot I was married thing(left hand has wedding band waving dirt under coil)..the forgot to turn on thing..the rebury find thing..and while detecting around some soccer fields with buddies, I kept finding these pull-tabs that the soil had turned to a gold color, thinking I found a ring and almost having a heart-attack each time!(you'd think I'd catch on after the fourth or fifth one!) 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread