What is the weirdest or dumbest thing youve done MDng?

M

mattjd

Re: What is the weirdest or dumbest thing you've done MD'ng?

Triped on a log with detector in hand and almost fell on the stem of the detector which would have broken it.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Fortunately caught iit in time not cut it. Headphone cords and knives do NOT work well together, pinpointing and tunnel vision can be expensive.

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ? ?Not my weirdest or dumbest. Don't think i want to go that far. A week ago hunted till dark. Last coin i dug, as i stood up i dropped it. Took the better part of 10 mins to find again. I could hear it, but too dark to see it and couldn't feel it in the 5in. grass. There on my knees saying things along the lines of,? Heres another fine mess you've gottin into. Only with a little more of an? ?R rating.? Was a 58 wheat, not sure it was worth it.? ?HH

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I've done the wedding ring trick while waving the plug over the coil. Sad thing is, I've done it more than once!

Dudes

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

About 13 years ago I was detecting around an old church and had a good signal. I turned the disc. up to 10 and still had a signal. As I dug, I hit a root and I pried down trying to break the root the shovel gave way and I conked myself in the head real hard. I layed on the ground for awhile and then got up and left beat and defeated. I still wonder what was in the hole. ???

R

Rich

Tripped on my own boots while climbing over a short chain that closes off a soccer field thats only 3ft off the ground,.......MD in hand and shovel in the other on the damp morining grass,.......ya had to be there to laugh!...my detecting friend laughed his A$$ off.....i did aswell!.. ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Dudes, what do you think the odds of getting away with telling you're 1/2 that you're going MDing as you pull you're wedd. ring off? ;D

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny

Another dumb thing I did was take some finds to work. I flaunted them a bit and then put them in my shirt pocket. Later on that day I relized that my finds were missing. I forgot to take them out of my shirt and put them in my tool box until I got back home. Someone at the mill must have found them and kept quiet about it. Another thing I did was chop through a nice silver ring trying to bust through the frozen sand with an axe. Swiz

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny

Heck I might as well post the pic well I'm at it. Swiz

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,397
  • Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,394

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250

My "all-in-one-idiot-for-the-day" came at the beach. I spent an hour on a section of the beach with narry a tone to be heard, only when I happened to look at the display did I realize my headphones weren't working due to a small grain of sand stuck in the stereo switch. Cleared that up, found the one lone quarter for the day then headed back to the car. Emptied my pouch on the trunk, dropped the garbage in the garbage can then pulled off.....with the one loan quarter still on the trunk! I figured it out about a 1/2 mile down the road, pulled over and surprisingly enough it was still there.

I just went home and sat in the corner with a pointy hat for the rest of the night!

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Stoney,

Probably wouldn't go over too well to take it off, just have to remember which hand to scan over the coil with. Wouldn't that be a trip if I did take it off while at a site and lost it! Talk about irony!!

Dudes

C

Chuck/NLa

:D? I "LMAO" reading all the posts. This is a great subject. I have to admit I've done the wedding ring thing more than once. The steel toed boot trick was an almost for me too. These are great, hope everyone keeps posting.

I guess my "duh" was to drive off and leave my $$ digger standing upright in the end of the field I had just hunted.? :-[? Farmer sure must have wondered about that crop potential.....ha!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was detecting on the grass next to the beach........Guys were fishing......Seagulls were swarming all around ......Some Gulls were getting into guys minnow buckets and other gulls (hundreds ) were being a nucance.....I got a little frustrated at a couple gulls that were buggin me ....
So I threw a rock at one...........Hit that sucker between the eyes and killed it...........Every one stopped and stared at me........One fisherman said........."You know it's Illegal to kill Seagulls ??? " .........I got outta there quik !!

Attachments

• funny_animations-nag_nag_nag.gif
    funny_animations-nag_nag_nag.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,435
  • funny_animations-nag_nag_nag.gif
    funny_animations-nag_nag_nag.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,428

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK....Here's probably my dumbest thing I have done so far. (Now yall keep in mind that I have only been doin this for a couple of months.) ;)
I have recently bought a house with a little property in the country. Been going out and exploring and having a great time, there are some big rocks and some have little "caves" under them...So I'm running the MD along, hop up on one of those big rocks and start swinging under there....beeps and more beeps.....my heart starts racing! I jump off the rock, try to get a peek at whats under there, can't see anything so I get back up and start stuffing the coil in the crevice....nothing...hmmm....so I get back on top of the rock for a better angle and BEEP, there it is again! Well it took me about 5 minutes to figure it out....yep......you guessed it..... it's my boots! ;D

Nana

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250

I also backed up over my detector

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

I have to post this. I was out MDing with my partner on top of Allegheny Street hill in my home town of Bellefonte, PA. There are two cemetaries there, I was hunting in front of the entrance to the old Quaker Cemetary. Frustrated because I was only digging up junk, the ground was hard and I only brought a gardening spade to dig. I was digging a hole, trying to get to something that had my Garrett 250 running haywire. I mentioned out loud that I could really use a larger shovel, and what do you know. In that very spot, I dug one up! :D

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I got a chance to hunt a nice old house and adjoining park in Amarillo when I was living in Lubbock, Texas. Very excited, I set off at 8:00 in the morning, drove over 2 hours! to get there, hopped out of the truck, and set off to get to work. Aww, crap, the detector won't power on. Look inside, there's no battery! Where did the battery go, you might ask? Sitting on the charger, at home, 145 miles away. >:(

metalman

Dec 16, 2004
franklin square new york

dont realy think this relates but it is the funniest. had to go # 2 real bad in the woods. Partner found it on the bottom of his boot. still funny years later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread