What is the weirdest or dumbest thing youve done MDng?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: What is the weirdest or dumbest thing you've done MD'ng?

With the lake frozen earlier this winter...before the heavy snows...The girls and I decided to walk across to an island that I had been wanting to detect...I had heard that a log cabin had burned in the forties and that there had been a large iron lock that had been on the door of the cabin....so thats what I was after.......there were alot of ice fishing shacks and the guys were fishing at the base of the island...its like a high hill that just rises out of the lake...there is a sand embankment that goes up about 50 ft and then flattens out...The girls are like little mountain goats and had no problem shimming up that hill...but mama, carrying her detector and back pack ,was a bit slow....probally because I was a little more self-conscious of exposing my backside to the world as I climbed.....I had almost reached the top when the sand shifted and I flipped onto my bottom and with arms over my head ,holding the detector like a banner I proceeded to slide all the way back down!!!! When I reached the bottom, there were about 15 icefishermen just staring....and laughing....I stood up, extremely embarrassed, dusted my aching bottom off and did the only thing I could....I took a sweeping bow .......with shouts of encore!, encore! ringing in my ears , I made it to the top the second try......hahaha :D hahahaha
PS I didn't find the lock yet either....wah

Stroover

Mar 28, 2006
Canadian East Coast

stoney56 said:
How about forgetting to take your ring off while waving clumps of dirt under the coil?

Did that my first day md'ing (last month). After about 20 minutes of turning up empty clumps of dirt thinking there was powdered metal in there, I realized I was wearing my wedding band. I'm such a noob!

S

stefen

Left my battery pack at home ::) ::) ::) ::)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Jumped across the creek with my metal detector, didn't make it. You know those pictures of soldiers wading through the water with their rifles over their heads? ;D ;D :D :D ;) ;)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

We need to all co-write a book...Metal Detecting for Dummies.....I would buy it ;)

S

stefen

Is the price higher for co-authors?

S

stefen

Darn ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D

S

stefen

Darn ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D

LowRider

Greenie
Feb 3, 2006
Georgia

I went to the beach to do some detecting. When I was done I sat my beach scoop by the truck so I could unlock the truck. I put my detector in then jumped in. When I got home I couldn't find my scoop. I went the 15 miles back to the lake to get my scoop. I got to the beach only to find I had ran over it in leaving. All that was left was a flat steel pancake.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

The scariest thing that happened to me is still a very vivid memory.

I was detecting out behind an old farm that also had horse stables. There was a small lake behind it and grassy picnicing areas surrounding the lake. This place boarded horses so there was no one around back where I was. Perfect for detecting. I found a lot of silver there. Anyway, I was searching under some trees, finding coins, wearing headphones of course and I heard some loud noises above me. Before I could react or even look, a large tree branch, over one foot in diameter crashed down through the tree and landed just in back of me. One of the large secondary branches broke away from it when it crashed, and I do mean crashed, it was loud, to the ground and slapped me in the back and knocked me about ten feet forward and onto my face. It was a totally calm and sunny day, so this wasn't something that was ever expected.

Somehow, I tossed my detecter to the side as I was being flung forward and it didn't get broken. I was brused and shaken up (and about @$%& my pants) but nothing broken. I sat for a half hour or so right there just staring at the size of the branches that had just missed me realizing that if I had been another two feet back, I would have been bug-splat. No one knew where I was and I probably wouldn't have been found for days. All for a couple silver dimes and wheatbacks. huh.

I guess I was blessed on that day (and on many days since) and was thankful the way things worked out for me.

Smiles!
BDoo

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

The dumbest thing iv ever done MD was in my yard. In about 5 minutes i got a strong signal only 2 inches deep and i began to dig. I pulled up the grass and put it off to the side and began to dig deeper. I checked the hole and the grass pile again and got a signal on the pile, all i saw was a crushed soda can, so i kept digging, and digging until i realized the can was setting the MD off!

I feel like such an idiot.

-CC

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

So YOU were the one who reached 60 feet? ;)

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

No, that wasnt me lol. Im not that stupid. ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I posted this before under a similar topic, but here goes anyway: I was MDing around a park public facility and found a nickel dated in the war years. I slipped it into my pocket and in about a minute I found another one identical to the first one. After about half an hour I had found at least 10 or 12 nickels all identical and I thought I had found a cache or someone's lost collection. My shirt pocket had a hole in it and I was finding the same coin over and over and over and............! Monty

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bob B. said:
Its not the dumbest I've ever done however last Monday was a nice day to out hunting, so I got all my gear on and headed out. Put on my headphone and was hunting in a field I thought everything was a little quite, to quite after about 45 minutes I decided to sit down and take a break, reached down to turn the detector off and found out the reason that it so quite was because I hadn't turned it on yet. Ever happen to u? I could also add to this, "The scarest thing"

LMAO....3 hours attempting to dig a large target, on a well known treasure beach, at the water line, at night, with a very nasty storm coming in (it made it too), using a plywood coffer dam. Believe it or not, we were all sober. PS: A few days later our "hit" was uncovered by Mother Nature. The storm and a very low tide showed it to be a 350 Chevy engine block. Good thing too, we had plans underway to get a Backhoe onto the beach (again at night) and dig the "chest of "pieces of eight" that we were sure we had found.
Deepsix

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Monty said:
I posted this before under a similar topic, but here goes anyway: I was MDing around a park public facility and found a nickel dated in the war years. I slipped it into my pocket and in about a minute I found another one identical to the first one. After about half an hour I had found at least 10 or 12 nickels all identical and I thought I had found a cache or someone's lost collection. My shirt pocket had a hole in it and I was finding the same coin over and over and over and............! Monty

I think I peed myself while reading this Monty.
Off to the shower I go.

You crack me up man.

Smiles!
BDoo

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boobydoo said:
Monty said:

I think I peed myself while reading this Monty.
Off to the shower I go.

You crack me up man.

Smiles!
BDoo

LMAO!!!! That's a great one!!!!
Deepsix

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, I think I've outdone myself! Last week I was hunting a house demolition site and after digging a clad penny on a lot I left my SunRay probe turned on and made two passes without getting a hit except some weird noises. I thought my imaging feature had gone south and after playing with the controls, reprogramming and checking for loose connections, overhead wires, batteries etc, discovered what I had done!Yeah boy, I got this metal detecting down to a fine art......not! Monty

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

dumbest thing I ever did detecting: Said to myself: That ground bee's nest is far enough away, they won't bother me. >:( Wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread