What is the weirdest or dumbest thing youve done MDng?

O

OKIE

Re: What is the weirdest or dumbest thing you've done MD'ng?

Well, I'm no dummy ::) but this is the DUMEST thing
i have done since i have started this hobby.
2 weeks ago i just bought a new Whites DFX,
and like a kid with a new toy i wanted to play with it,
right now, ;D so i did... 3 days i took it to my
mothers to show my grandpa, 88 and still loves to MD
we took it out in the front yard and tried it out for about
10 Min's, so now the MD now about 30 minutes on
the new DFX... When i was ready to leave i picked up
my backpack and MD went to the truck and leaned the MD
up against truck and put my pack in the back seat truck and got in and
backed up :o :'( when i heard a thump sound.
I paid no attention to it BUT when i turned around to put the truck
in drive........"OMG NO WAY" came to mind, there it was my new DFX, laing on the
ground, i said a few choice words and put head down on the
steering wheel, and got a SICK feeling in my belly,y'all know the one
that I'm talking about....anyway i pulled back to it in my truck :-\
and low & behold it was not hurt....and then the BIG sigh of relief
so when i got out to get it i looked it over good before picking it up.
It was fine so i kissed it and told my self to never tell ANYONE about
what had happen, but since I'm not the only one to do something
this DUMB, i can laugh at it now ;D
HH Ray

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

deepsix47 said:
Boobydoo said:
Monty said:
I posted this before under a similar topic, but here goes anyway: I was MDing around a park public facility and found a nickel dated in the war years. I slipped it into my pocket and in about a minute I found another one identical to the first one. After about half an hour I had found at least 10 or 12 nickels all identical and I thought I had found a cache or someone's lost collection. My shirt pocket had a hole in it and I was finding the same coin over and over and over and............! Monty

I think I peed myself while reading this Monty.
Off to the shower I go.

You crack me up man.

Smiles!
BDoo

LMAO!!!! That's a great one!!!!
Deepsix

OMG....I am laughing so hard I am crying...I can't see this screen....I don't think anyone can top that one!!! Thanks for the laugh, even though it was at your expense...not laughing at you, just your comical nickel adventure :)

HH...Ann

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Okiem I got a sinking feeling in my stomach just reading that.... LOL! Glad everything came out ok. ;D

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt

Monty said:
I posted this before under a similar topic, but here goes anyway: I was MDing around a park public facility and found a nickel dated in the war years. I slipped it into my pocket and in about a minute I found another one identical to the first one. After about half an hour I had found at least 10 or 12 nickels all identical and I thought I had found a cache or someone's lost collection. My shirt pocket had a hole in it and I was finding the same coin over and over and over and............! Monty

i did the wedding ring thing at least 2 times today 1 before lunch and 1 after lol

thats funny monty sounds like something id do lol

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida

Many years ago and soon after I began metal detecting I tracked leads that sent me 800 miles from here to a rural area outside lancaster Ohio. One of the great bandit's of the old west had a beloved grandmother who lived there.

I figured what better place to hide the ill gotten loot than at his grandmothers cabin. I made the trip. I found "seldom seen road" I found "snortin ridge" and after a few hours I found what was left of her old cabin.

Searched log and hard around the cabin and found many interesting things..But no loot. I sat down and studied the surround ground looking for something "that didn't fit". Something that may have a tell-tale sign.

Down from the cabin was a small mound of dirt. The ground was hilly but this mound "didn't fit." I might be on to something.

I swung the detector but didn't get a hit. Figuring it might be cash and not coin I dug some into the mound and uncovered an old toy made of clay or china. I swung the detector again and got a beep. I dug more and uncovered some old metal trinkets including a small doll's head made of china with face paint still intact.

I dug deeper, harder and faster. Then I quit digging. I made my way back to the truck and left Ohio never to return. Why?

What I dug up was the remains of a small child that was wrapped in burlap.

Yes. I did restore the grave before I left.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Now that is weird... unsettling, even. "No telling what you're gonna dig up sometimes" rings true. I came upon a set of human remains one time, out in the desert, not buried. Left them undisturbed and reported it to the authorities. Definately creepy!

treasure diver

Mar 17, 2006
eastern KY.

The dumbest thing I did was when I was diving off the beach & saw a coquina ledge I wanted to detect, they act like a natural sluice.A so called harmless nurse shark was resting & I touched it with the coil of my Fisher 1280x. It came busting out & knocked the regulator out of my mouth & my dive mask off. I was able to retrive them & clear them,so no harm, but I learned to just make a wave & when the surge gets to them they leave.

contractorod

Aug 27, 2006
Lawtey,Fl.

I have never left my MDtr off ::) but i have one time forgot my earphones at home and said the heck with it ill hunt without them and swept it around for about ten minutes with not one peep before i realized that my earphone adapter was still plugged in ;D ;D ;D

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

stoney56 said:
How about forgetting to take your ring off while waving clumps of dirt under the coil?

Ditto!

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

contractorod said:
I have never left my MDtr off ::) but i have one time forgot my earphones at home and said the heck with it ill hunt without them and swept it around for about ten minutes with not one peep before i realized that my earphone adapter was still plugged in ;D ;D ;D
I done that today...lol

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The dumbest thing Hmmmm
Well it all started out one day last summer when I got up in the morning and the sky was blue no wind and pefect temp...
you know what that meens.

So I loaded up my MD and headed fpor who knows where.

well I hit couple of playgrounds and found lots of clad then headed for what i heard used to be an old park
well the hunt started off oke found 3 wheats and a merc then some clad and then a buffalo nick,

well i moved over closer to the river bank and decided to detect over thier.
after about ten minutes i got a real good hit reading 84 on my XLT @ 8" Hmmm what could it be
while i was digging i notice some women and there children sitting at a near by picknic table and playing with the children,
well i knew i was close so i started to dig more careful as not to scratch a nice coin if thats what that was.
soon i see a silver shimmer from the hole but wait its to big for a coin so i dig a bigger hole and yet a bigger hole again
soon out pops an old rin tin tin cap gun in great shape, I was stoked my first decent toy relic...
I held it in my hand and felt like the kid from the Christmas story with his new red ryder BB gun.
I pointed it at the kids and I dove to the ground in a roll like starsky and hutch, BANG BANG BANG i yelled
then ran to a near by tree......BANG BANG BANG I yelled again
I soon noticed all the parrents were grabbing there kids and heading for their cars ...some even pealed out of the drive.

I was hurt .................. no one wanted to play cowboys and Indians with me.
Gees.................................I was only 41 and 6.3 and 235 lbs............lol

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

imafishingnutt said:
The dumbest thing Hmmmm
Well it all started out one day last summer when I got up in the morning and the sky was blue no wind and pefect temp...
you know what that meens.

So I loaded up my MD and headed fpor who knows where.

well I hit couple of playgrounds and found lots of clad then headed for what i heard used to be an old park
well the hunt started off oke found 3 wheats and a merc then some clad and then a buffalo nick,

well i moved over closer to the river bank and decided to detect over thier.
after about ten minutes i got a real good hit reading 84 on my XLT @ 8" Hmmm what could it be
while i was digging i notice some women and there children sitting at a near by picknic table and playing with the children,
well i knew i was close so i started to dig more careful as not to scratch a nice coin if thats what that was.
soon i see a silver shimmer from the hole but wait its to big for a coin so i dig a bigger hole and yet a bigger hole again
soon out pops an old rin tin tin cap gun in great shape, I was stoked my first decent toy relic...
I held it in my hand and felt like the kid from the Christmas story with his new red ryder BB gun.
I pointed it at the kids and I dove to the ground in a roll like starsky and hutch, BANG BANG BANG i yelled
then ran to a near by tree......BANG BANG BANG I yelled again
I soon noticed all the parrents were grabbing there kids and heading for their cars ...some even pealed out of the drive.

I was hurt .................. no one wanted to play cowboys and Indians with me.
Gees.................................I was only 41 and 6.3 and 235 lbs............lol
no not really the dumbest thing I ever did was i degided to make a day of detecting bright and early.
so I got to the park just as it was light enough to see and started detecting found the commen pull tabs and some clad when i got a weird reading on the MD,
I stuck my pic down and piked around and hit it right of i knew it was big bouth the size of a silver dollar so i stuck my grass knife in to cut my plug and all of a sudden watter came out hitting me everywhere i grabbed my MD and ran scared me to death i thought i hit a water line but the notice i had to dodge other sprinklers as well...lol
if you detect a park early make sure its not irrigated first...lol

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

jeff of pa said:
ok here is the DUMBEST thing I ever did. I left my detector proped up against my truck & pulled out running over it.

I has similar experience, but different circumstances. Was several years ago, very hot summer. Was hunting on beach in middle of day and the heat was getting to me. Went back to parking lot to leave and had laid the detector down on the ground. Packed up everything else, closed trunk and backed over the coil. Yep, dumbest thing I ever did, but I now do not hunt in the heat of the summer afternoons. Lesson learned.

Ray S

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

contractorod said:

Well of course as a newbie I did this but before I figured it out here is what happened....I had my ace for a couple of weeks and was having fun with it. It came with headphones. One day I couldn't get a sound out of it, without the headphones. So I packed it up and sent it back, mad of course that the stupid thing wasn't working. I got it back with a note that the adapter was plugged in, thus allowing no sound to come out!!! Boy did I feel like an idiot. I had not even realized that the headphones had an adaptor!!!

Troy307

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2007
Piqua, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

I was in a hurry one night after work to go MD before it got dark. Would have about an hour to MD. When I got there, I got my Metal detector out of my car all ready to go. Only one thing was missing. I forgot my shovel. Oh well, just one of the many dumb things I have done!!! :D

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350

Pitch said:
On the way home from work I had noticed this rock area that looked manmade by an old long abandoned RR track so I pulled over climbed a 30 ft almost cliff and turned the machine on. Every step I took the thing sounded off but when i tried pinpointing there was nothing. About twenty minutes of this and I was getting quite disgusted, Then I looked down and realized that I was wearing my steel toed boots.
LOL IVE DONE THE SAME THING also i carry a large knife to clear any briers that may be in my way of digging lol and you guessed it cut my headphone wire in half/also while detecting with buddies i was digging a target and one yelled over they had a bullet i jumped up to run over and check it out and forgot my headphones were still on my head and my detector still on the ground that was pretty funning, darn looks like i do alot of stupid stuff but atleast we can all laugh about it...like just the other day its like 30 degrees outside so im bundled up to keep warm me and 2 others detecting an area thick with briers i try to run ahead to get the best spot some briers jumped up and grabed my leg and down i went i think i layed there for 2 or 3 min. laughing at myself i get up and turn around and one of my buddies is all but laying on ground laughing see those are the moments you remember with your friends

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This could go on forever. Just shows you we all are human. Great posts. I saw where another member went out to hunt and it was so cold his detector wouldn't work. I did the same thing. I left the detector in m car trunk over night and the temp got well below freezing. The next day my detector would show it was on but wouldn't make any sounds or signals on the LCD. After about an hour of letting it sit out in the sun, it started working. I'm not sure just how it happened, but something froze up? Monty

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Found a piece of a pull tab on top my coil moving between the ridges of my coil with every strock, wasted 30 minutes swinging and digging.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Got in a kayak one time and paddled oh 2 miles or so, jumped out with a buddy to detect this new spot my detector wouldnt turn on yep forgot the dang batteries in the car this happened 2x. Another occasion traveled 3 hours to hunt,walked another 45 minutes when we got to the spot, pulled the detector out of the bag,oops no shovel i said no problem I can use my foot and hands, well then guess what I had taken my detector apart to fit it in the bag and all I had was my upper rod and a coil. I looked like a idiot with a stick tied to my coil and cramed in the upper shaft.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Several times I have forgotten my probe out in the large field next to my house and spent more time looking for it than I did detecting. I eventually got an inline probe......problem solved. :tard:

-Codes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread