Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
I live on long island and were having a bit of a cold spell. I found an old beach near my house that i meant to check out. well mon. the 17th was about 18 degrees not including the wind chill factor. i could not resist. i was out about an hour. found my first buffalo nickel in terrible condition and a 1923 wheat penny. found about a dollar in clad. stopped by to see kenb , who thought i was a little crazy
and thought of doing this poll. i know there are colder places than l.i. new york

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
59 Degrees & I was Freezing ;D

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Went out yesterday and it was only 25-30. I threw the detector back into the truck after 30 minutes and high tailed it outa there. I was freezing. COME ON SPRING.
xXx

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I voted the coldest option, last week i got an 1868 Indian head. Some of the sites they build at well be gone if I wait till it warms up. Got a pick to use now. If I can get the signal, I can chisel it out. I just hate the thought of missing a key coin. Plus who wants to sit in the house for weeks at a time. Also here is a hint at the sites if there is a hill or dirt mound, the south side well be workable if the sun is out. The black dirt thaws fast. use those windows of opportunity.

OP
OP
dgaughan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
thnaks for the tip. i was riding by a constuction site yesterday and thought of getting out of the car except it was snowing pretty hard here

corncrasher

Jan 14, 2005
Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX
During the summer and spring the brush, weeds, etc. are so bad at the old sites around here that late fall and winter are the best times to go

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does windchill count?? I went out once in Dec. of 2003.? Was a nice sunny day of about 25 degrees, but wind gusts it had to be below 0.? Even my son kept telling me he was ready to go.

Anthony

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in my younger days, my brother-in-law and I went to a country school. It was a dry cold winter that year. No snow on the ground but the air temp. was -10o F.
Used a hatchet and a hammer to cut a plug on a good signal and chopped a Barber half into two peices.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.I work construction ,outside year-round..I have hunted,and even ice fished-if I think it will produce......But Detecting...........
...........I Have tried it when it was in the 20's,but my detector didn't seem to be performing well,,,and the ground was frozen....
..................Just too hard to recover....and knowing I like to dig most every potential target....I gave up cold weather detecting........Just too much work for too little results......I'm not lazy....maybe I'm just a WUSS ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread