Archaeologist/Metal detectors

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
Well, I'm not a "looter" if I'm MD'ing my own property. I don't have degrees in Archeology. Call me a MD'er or Treasure Hunter (most appropriate because I do more than MD), but do it in a nice way.

I don't like the way "Treasure Hunter" has a bad connotation. How about Historical Research and Recovery Technician? I do more than show up, swing my MD and dig holes. Like most, I plan, research, and study the area. Then when I find things I do more research. I also document my research and findings (yeah, I'm a bit of a geek).

Regarding my views about others-there's good and bad of every demographic.

But, if you are on my property without my permission digging anything, you're a looter and you will be sorry.

When it comes to the studying and documentation I do the same thing (and believe it or not I'm the least geeky kid in my school). Now when it comes to people on my property everyone where I live shoots first then asks questions.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said I love history and I do research a lot of stuff, I love to study history. Honestly all the gidgets and gadgets today rarely impress me because all of it is a copy of something else. Turn back the clock and look at those who truly came up with something that changed the world. Detecting a relic is appealing because that relic comes with a story, who what when and where. What else can you do on life that does that, to me holding a 300 year old colonial item in my hand floors me. Picking up a new IPhone has its moment but never to that of finding what we unearth.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as for virgin sites i.e undisturbed prehist sites , i would def frown on someone digging a hole ,trying to find a point to add to there collection, but historic sites as far as mding i see no harm there, simply because they are( historic ) now this may sound like a contradiction but let me explain my veiw, there would be little harm to the integrity of a hist site, because dates are known already and if not there is little that can be about that ,coins can be droped today that are dated from 1950, so someone finding it a thousand years from now could only gain an aproximate date which would be derived from other artifacts ,heck you can learn more from the actual site, i.e the masonry style cut or cobbled, wells , the tech used to create or occupy the site, mders would do little to impact this one way or another.but prehist sites are a little different ,and any disurbing can greatly affect the site , just digging a hole can destroy carbon dates, disurb the strata, post molds and the like but having siad that there are PLENTY of already disurbed sites that you can collect from, farm fields are disturbed at least 18 inches or more and artifacts scattered continusly year after year, so a collector is a great aid if done responsibly,the sourcing of lithics is of great importance,trade disturbution,and having a specimen and be able to tell where exactly it came from, these may not have been known to a paticular area , and most sites cant be dug on a professional scale, so collectors get a thumbs up from me ,info is info.as long as your not hiking and digging virgin rock shelters and the like .

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
how can a 8th grader own property? shoot first and ask questions later?

whew..done with this thread.

Do I really need to explain that I ment the property I live on I don't actually own it.
When it comes to shoot first, mostly all the 8th graders who don't live in the city own guns around here and protect their land.

Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont sweat it man, some people are so far left they dont know whats right. follow your dreams good hunting.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youngblood I get what you mean and I was born and raised a country boy so kids having guns is nothing new nor is it scary like the lefties want everyone to think. Its the ones who weren't raised properly, taught to respect others and respect a gun are who cause the issues. Nice to fond someone with a decent head on his shoulders at your age and have good moral values.

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
Youngblood I get what you mean and I was born and raised a country boy so kids having guns is nothing new nor is it scary like the lefties want everyone to think. Its the ones who weren't raised properly, taught to respect others and respect a gun are who cause the issues. Nice to fond someone with a decent head on his shoulders at your age and have good moral values.

Thanks, its the way I was raised.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
love it...not only am I a leftist for not responding to a childs fantasy about property ownership an killing...
he insults a history teacher, cause he knows more than the young or old....

wow...just like a child...so all you big grown ups who agree with a 12 year olds philosophy...
well...so fifth grade.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
come on now ,i am not so sure there was a agreement of any (philosophy) and hell i am impressed that a child is even discusing anything historical , and i will encourage them to persue any path they choose,i was participating in a conversation with a child when apparently another child disliked what was said, i cant tell which one is in 5th grade

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love it...not only am I a leftist for not responding to a childs fantasy about property ownership an killing...

wow...just like a child...so all you big grown ups who agree with a 12 year olds philosophy...
well...so fifth grade.

Back off PIP, he is a young new member, he said nothing out of line....Do not talk down to him....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012

well...so fifth grade.

1st off I never "insulted" you, you just don't have to be so literal on everything. 2nd I never have and never will say I know more than anyone, ESPECIALLY "EVERYONE"!

Fafe

Oct 6, 2010
Huntington, WV area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st off I never "insulted" you, you just don't have to be so literal on everything. 2nd I never have and never will say I know more than anyone, ESPECIALLY "EVERYONE"!

Hey, Young Blood, I have no idea what "Pip" is carrying on about. I think you're right-on. You remind me of myself. When I was younger than you, I'm 61 now, I loved archaeology. For various reasons, I got sidetracked (long story) and never studied Archaeology. I often think about it. Hang in there and dream, keep at it. Get a degree in it. Go for it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread