Is "Injun" offensive to you?

Are you offended, or do you think it's offensive to call the Indian Head Penny an "Injun"

• Total voters

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: Is "Injun" offensive to you?

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
EDDE said:
<--------- Pollock checking in to stir the pot

<--------- The WOP seconds that... :-* :-* :-*

<................The MICK and KRAUT thirds that :):):)

What nickname is there for English and Danish? I'm that too! And my boys are French, Spanish, German and Irish on their fathers side and my dau is all of me plus Indian (mixed from 3 tribes) and French Canadian...

OMG...are we in that melting pot too?

I can't stand this politically correct BS!!! Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will not hurt me...cause I really don't care what you call me....so there! (why, cause calling names is so childess!!) :P

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum

I am also English on my Dad's side. They are well known for there bad teeth and homosexuals. The Danish, thats a tough one.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Irish and Cherokee, with a smattering of French, then my daughter bio. father Polish, so we are Mutts and pround of it!!

Now the grandkids dad is Scottish!

S

stefen

blurr said:
It's only offensive if by saying the word, the intent is to offend. Make sense?

John

Agreed

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

-- oh the sterotype "nick names" that we "put" on others -- mick,kraut,wop,raghead, kike,spic, dago,greaser,,honky,cracker,redneck,chink, slant eye, wasp, fag, homo, dyke, --- these and others terms are used by bigoted & racist folks of all colors and creeds -- injun -- is no more or less offensive then any of those other "mere words"--- where I grew up at if you used those types of terms when speaking with folks you were trying to provoke a fight . so no I don't use the terms --and injun is just as bad as the others are. hateful talk and callous talk about others tends to show a lack of respect for others feelings and rights. --- Ivan

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have a tad bit of Mohawk in my blood along with MANY other things. I have been called names before and when I was younger I supposed ,,, that bothered me. NOW, that I am older and wiser(??) i just feel sorry for the folks who do the name callin.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm Cherokee, and it doesn't bother me a bit! Now when I dig a zinc cent and call it a White Boy, I'll expect the same courtesy!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

"Red on the head like the di#@ on a dog"

Naw, " Injun" doesn't offend me, being a white boy. But just because I'm white and male doesn't mean I haven't heard shit ....

Everything depends on how it's used, pretty much.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It floors me how folks can get so out of hand especially when it comes to race, religion and politics. I am not offended by the word

but then again I can't claim any race wholly because I'm just a mutt!

K

Kentucky Kache

txkickergirl said:
It floors me how folks can get so out of hand especially when it comes to race, religion and politics. I am not offended by the word

but then again I can't claim any race wholly because I'm just a mutt!

Mutt?...don't think so.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

there is but one race --"human" -- the rest of it is just which sub set you claim to belong to.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

I Knew a injun that reallly offended me, it was a ford 302

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I not sure there are any Native Americans.
I thought the early peoples of North America were descendants of people who migrated from Asia.

Anyway now that I am aware that the use of certain words could be disrespectful and hurt someones feelings I am going to try not using them at all....:angel9:

K

Kentucky Kache

TEXAN Connection said:
I Knew a injun that reallly offended me, it was a ford 302

:D I got offended at a 351 Windsor once. I tried to blow it up, but it wouldn't blow.
>:( >:(

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Goodyguy said:
I not sure there are any Native Americans.
I thought the early peoples of North America were descendants of people who migrated from Asia.

Anyway now that I am aware that the use of certain words could be disrespectful and hurt someones feelings I am going to try not using them at all........Honest Injun. :angel9:

Well...Since all ancestors migrated from one starting point...I guess I will claim Native American as my heritage.....as Native Eden-onian sound so silly :D

S

stefen

"...do you think it's offensive to call the Indian Head Penny an "Injun" when posting..."

Not sure that the penny would be offended, however the term itself is predicial, if not racist. Its no different that using the term; "I jewed him down" or "I was gyped"...both are meant to offend and to be anti-semetic and / or racist.

Now being a white anglo-saxon prostestant (WASP) as many white Americans are classified, many would fall into the name calling and may understand the slights, but have never experienced them.

However, if a person is of American Native origin or other ethnicity, its like being slapped in the face.

To me, there is a level of tolerance that is acceptable in today's society...and if you call me or the other guy a name thinking its acceptable, you may find out otherwise...

Recently, I had a contractor walk into my office for a project conference and the first words out of his mouth were; "I'm dealing with this jew-boy...". He was fired on the spot. End of conversation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions