To help or not to help??

Do you offer to help someone in need, even if they don't ask?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Here's the scenario:

Went to Mrytle Beach last week for vacation and saw a guy out on the beach detecting with a pretty high end White's machine who was swinging the coil in a giant arc so that the coil was about an inch of the ground when it was directly in front of him and about a foot and a half off the ground at the end of his swing. Also, he was walking almost full speed while doing this.

I felt bad and wanted to clue him in without making him feel like an idiot and not having him think I was one... i saw him several times while there and never got up the nerve to say anything.

What to do??

Dudes

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I would help, and while not related to detecting this is what happend to me one day:

Throwing a cast net has been a tradition in my family, not as a profession but as a form of fishing as normal to me as rod and reel. I however struggled with the net, and was very inconsistent opening it sometimes but more often throwing a half or a figure 8. I was on a bridge one day fishing and threw my net at a school of mullet, the throw was dead on, but didn't open. Someone driving by saw the trouble I was having and asked if he could offer some advice. Being frustrated, I gladly accepted. He showed me a whole new (new to me) way to throw the net. I was skeptical but tried it that way anyway. The net opened perfect the first time, and every time since! I was so happy I forgot to even ask his name! He got back in his car before I could even thank him. I know this was long winded but I hope it gives perspective of the other end of the advice HH omnicognic? 8)

OP
OP
dudes2112

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I guess it all depends on the type of person. I would welcome help from anyone, but I'm not sure everyone is the same way. I just didn't want to walk up to him and get the "I've been detecting for 20 years" and "who do you think you are telling me how to do it" On the other hand, he had paid quite a bit for the detector he had, don't want him to get discouraged and give it up. I guess I just chickened out...

That was a good story, BTW thanks

Dudes

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'd follow him around! I wouldn't help...my brother hunts the same way and although he misses alot, he's happy with his success. He will figure it out eventually.

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I would help him out only after following his tracks with my detector for a little while and finding his missed treasures...
Pepperpump :D

G

Gooddog

dudes2112 said:
Here's the scenario:

Went to Mrytle Beach last week for vacation and saw a guy out on the beach detecting with a pretty high end White's machine who was swinging the coil in a giant arc so that the coil was about an inch of the ground when it was directly in front of him and about a foot and a half off the ground at the end of his swing.? Also, he was walking almost full speed while doing this.

I felt bad and wanted to clue him in without making him feel like an idiot and not having him think I was one...? i saw him several times while there and never got up the nerve to say anything.

What to do??

I would walk close behind him with my metal detector using it in the correct manner and picking up all the goodies he is missing? :o and it would probably take little or no time at all and he would get a clue, lol? ;D

Dudes

G

Gooddog

dudes2112 said:
Here's the scenario:

Went to Mrytle Beach last week for vacation and saw a guy out on the beach detecting with a pretty high end White's machine who was swinging the coil in a giant arc so that the coil was about an inch of the ground when it was directly in front of him and about a foot and a half off the ground at the end of his swing.? Also, he was walking almost full speed while doing this.

I felt bad and wanted to clue him in without making him feel like an idiot and not having him think I was one...? i saw him several times while there and never got up the nerve to say anything.

What to do??

I would walk close behind him with my metal detector using it in the correct manner and picking up all the goodies he is missing? :o and it would probably take little or no time at all and he would get a clue, lol? ;D

OP
OP
dudes2112

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I did fin a dime in his wake, but he was a good 100 yards ahead of me at that point, didn't want to get right up in his business.

Dudes

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always try to talk to fellow hunters I see. Sometimes you get help, sometimes you help them. If he was hunting like you said, I would have tried to start a conversion with " Have any luck? followed by "Have you been detecting long?" If you get a rough answer walk away and then just go about hunting on your own.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
ecdonovan said:
I always try to talk to fellow hunters I see. Sometimes you get help, sometimes you help them. If he was hunting like you said, I would have tried to start a conversion with " Have any luck? followed by "Have you been detecting long?" If you get a rough answer walk away and then just go about hunting on your own.

I think this is dead on the right approach. I do always try and help people in anything I feel I'm qualified to help with, if after some initial questions such as ECDonovan listed they seem open. I hope someone would do the same for me.

Personally, I think that seeing someone in need, knowing you could help them, and not helping them is just pure selfish. If I've offended some here, I apologize, but perhaps it needed to be said.

"Am I my brother's keeper?" Yes, I think we all are our brother's keeper and furthermore we should consider everyone our Brother.

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
I once saw a fellow in the park digging big holes with a shovel. I stopped and gave him some digging tips and told him how to find me on Treasurenet, if he ever wanted to hunt together. He found me OK and we have been hunting several times. He out hunts/finds me all the time now and I'm sure he will be posting some good finds here soon.

OP
OP
dudes2112

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
No offense taken but I would like to clarify so you don't think I am a selfish creep or something. I didn't withold knowledge and then laugh at the guy. I held back because I didn't want to embarass the guy or make him feel bad, I just couldn't think of an approach at the time that wouldn't sound like I was telling him what to do. I guess I could have used the "Find anything?" or "Any luck?" to get the ball rolling and see how he repsonded. I'm a bit on the shy side when it comes to starting up conversations with strangers, something I should work on I guess. Next time I will strike up a conversation.

Thanks for the input on this one.

Dudes

OP
OP
dudes2112

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
One more detail... This guy wasn't visibly frustrated which would have made things easier. He was just strolling along having a good time.

Dudes

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt say anything you never know how they will respond plus more for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread