TIP - driving and detecting bonanza in Angelsey !

Rob da Reese

Greenie
Sep 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Kellyco & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alas, I no longer reside in beautiful Wales any more, but my wife bought me a wonderful farewell present that I feel is more than worth sharing and hopefully a good recommendation for anyone in Wales or someone who fancies going there for a treasure hunt.

The trip lasts for two days, so, it's perfect for the weekend, and basically consists of a day spent speeding around the Angelsey race circuit in a mad car, followed by a day spent exploring and treasure hunting along the Angelsey coastline.

This is by no means a sales pitch, purely my experience, and I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but if you like fast cars, and driving them, and metal detecting, then this could be your cup of tea. My wife bought me the Supercar Angelsey Circuit gift day package from this website, which permitted us to spend a day racing 4 cars at ridiculous speeds around the circuit. Never had so much fun in all my life ! It's valid for a year once it's purchased, so I'd say wait for a summer's day to get the best out of it, for both driving and the treasure hunting.

We camped that night, but there are some nice bnbs close by if you prefer. The next day we set off early for Newborough Beach, Isle of Anglesey. This place is wonderful.

Newborough (formerly Rhosyr) was an important centre of medieval Anglesey. The ruined court buildings of Llys Rhosyr lie on the outskirts of the present village. Archaeologists at Gwynedd Archaeological Trust consider it to have been a royal home and have established an exhibition in the Pritchard Jones Institute in the village on their findings. Needless to say, there is tonnes to see and go on the hunt for. We thought we might be tired that night so we booked an airbnb in Caernarfon, which was lovely, and the perfect respite for a hard day's trekking.

Things to watch out for:

• Make sure you a have a beach permit as the wardens there can be a little bit on the keen side
  • Wind ! It can get annoying, but not that much of a big deal.
  • Friendly Welsh people :)

I hope anyone who does this has a wonderful time like I did with my wife. And I hope you find something - unfortunately I didn't haha !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread