Meteorites

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Have not heard of anyone detecting for meteorites in this state. I would think up on the flats between Wenatchee and Spokane would be a good area plus the southern area. Most of the area is farming land (winter wheat), would think after harvest or before they plant would be best time to detect.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 896
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 896

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
Summer of 2007 there was a fairly large meteroid reported to have impacted (meteorite) in Eastern Washington...somewhere in the Palouse area I believe...haven't heard of anyone finding that site as of yet.

I witnessed a meteor close up when I was in the USAF. I was performing a Pre-Flight Inspection on a
C-141B and had just exited the nose wheel well...turning to look West, I heard a bzzzzzzztttttttttttt...pop! Looking up at the sound of the noise; I saw the meteor and heard the "explosion" as it decended over Puget Sound.

That is indeed a rare occurence...rarer, than actually finding a meteorite.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on my way to MEPS to make sure a young man was on the shuttle there to join up.

I saw that meteor falling and it scared the crap out of me! I thought is was some bum throwing a road flare up onto the raised road surface, then realized it was too blue/green and not bright red. Pretty darn exciting - one of the few mornings back then, I did not need my SBX!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone know if any have been found in INdiana?

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Seamuss I to am going meteorite hunting late spring, I live in cowlitz county, as you know is very green, so hunting for space debris is very difficult, at best! I don't know of any meteorite clubs of that sort or anything,(wanna start one! lol) I used to live in nevada, where we would go to the dry lake beds for best results, I have found a few and sold them for the needed cash. but central wa. would be best or eastern wa. probably start with a map that would show dry lake beds and start there, see who owns the land ,etc. but lets stay in touch and maybe hit some spots this spring. I know how hot it can get in the summer over there, so summers are probably out.

flowers

Apr 12, 2013
seattle.wa
Detector(s) used
white-mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a old newspaper article about an meteor hitting washington state in 1859.

puget sound herald
sep-9-1859
PDF FILE
page 2 column 1

http://www.sos.wa.gov/history/images/newspapers/SL_dir_steilacoompugesounhera/pdf/SL_dir_steilacoompugesounhera_09091859.pdf#page=2

pioneer and democret
sep-16-1859
PDF FILE
page 2 column 2

http://www.sos.wa.gov/history/images/newspapers/SL_dir_olympiapiondemo/pdf/SL_dir_olympiapiondemo_09161859.pdf#page=2

if the store is true and you find the location you be the first one to metal detect at this new discovered site.

good luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions