Metal detecting in Washington becoming extinct?

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey big dog. I PMd you about detecting with you a couple weeks ago. I am free Saturday(I think), so if you don't mind i'd like to tag along.
Gonna head out to millersylvania next saturday and see what I can find if anyone is interested

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Traded up from a Garrett ACE 350 to an ATPro with a Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoothblend. I am definitely going to get out probably around 9am or so on Saturday. Would love the company.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi there washington guys. I couldn't help but notice a humorous side-bar note in this thread. Notice posts #42 and #43, between Animal76 and JSMITH. One guy walks into Seattle city hall (or sends an email or calls or whatever) and gets a "firm no". Hmmm. However, JSMITH has routinely hunted those parks. And not just because he "helped himself", but actually asked, and got a "yes". Hmmm.

For starters, this just shows the Russian Roullette of thinking you need to ask, where there may not be any actual rules that specifically said "no detecting". However, as you can see, when you ask, you're merely at the arbitrary whims and mood of whomever you ask. One person might be in a bad mood, while the next guy isn't. Or one may have images of geeks with shovels, while the next guy sees it as harmless. Oh sure, I suppose you could challenge them and say "... but where is that written?", but guess who'll win that debate :( They'll cite something silly about disturbing earthworms or whatever.

Me, for one, I would not risk that someone will pass out an arbitrary no, where no real rule exists. For example: JSMITH, in all the time you've hunted Seattle's parks, have you EVER had to show your "permission" to deflect any busy-bodies? If not, ..... , then in reality ....... whether you had "permission" or not, didn't really even matter (as apparently no one cares).

If I'm wrong, and your permission worked wonders to deflect busy bodies, let us know. I'm just curious. And what would you think if (hypothetically), animal76 saw your post, so he returns to city hall to object or challenge the "no". He says: "that's not fair, because JSMITH got a yes, so you guys gotta clarify this, and give me permission too". Hmmm, so city hall looks into this pressing issue. It gets passed back and forth between multiple bureucrats for review. Guess what's possibly gonna happen next? They make it easy, and just make a uniform "no" rule across the board. Aaarrgggh. Not saying animal76 would do that, but .... you have to admit, some people *would* see that as unfair, that one person can go, while the next person has to sit at home.

Or perhaps animal76 would read of JSMITH's "permission" and think "aha!, well in that case, I'm going to just go, and phooey with whomever told me no". Hmm, ok, does that make animal76 a law-breaker, in violataion of the md'ing code-of-ethics? Its all so silly. That's why I never ask. If there's no rule saying you can't, then presto, it's not prohibited.

Last edited:

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed out to millersylvania this am

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All clad..yesterday stormed so bad I had to give up after an hour...rain was sideways

alb1

Jan 15, 2014
Weselberg, Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030, my favorite E-Trac & NEL Tornado. Garrett Carrot, (Previously, MXT PRO with D2 and SEF 10x12 coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worked two more elementary schools. Tillicum yielded 1 wheat penny and pocket change. Dower elementary a surprise 1919 Penny and more change. Not too shabby.
Update. Changed settings on etrac to fast on deep off. Found my first four wheatie spill in Tillicum. Dates 1935-1944. Also found 3 silver dimes on another day here.

Last edited:

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure but may head to millersylvania on Saturday

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
That was some weather on Saturday, wasn't it? We toughed it out, but we're stupid that way. Good rain gear is worth its weight in gold in this state.

I'm going to stick with Bremerton, at least until I've worked through my short list of sites. Good luck on your hunt. Let us know how it works out for you.

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have any of you guys had any luck detecting on the beach at Tolmie Park?

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not tried Tolmie. They had a bunch of construction at the kitchens during the summer. Don't know how productive the beach would be as that water is COLD year round

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, found my first 1964 rosie and silver plated bracelet at the beach in Tolmie yesterday afternoon. Not bad for my 3rd outing of md'ing. :laughing7:

Hope the rest of you are finding some goodies as well.

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Went to the puget sound treasure hunters club hunt in Kent today. Beautiful park. 26 hunters showed up. Bunch of clad.

JELLISC

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2014
Seattle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just came across this forum through Google about detecting in Washington State being dead. You do your homework and get the proper permissions, silver and relics are out there. 1901.jpg

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD'ing is definitely not dead in Washington. Go to any one of the club meetings/hunts and you'll see.

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm brand new to detecting and I live in North Bend. If there are any other detectorists in the area (issaquah, Bellevue, snoqualmie, etc) that are willing to let a newbie tag along please let me know. I'm free pretty much any day. There are several parks here in town, some of them date back to the original settlement (incorporated in 1909 but the town is 50 years older) and lots of logging camps out in the woods.
Have detector, will travel!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread