Newcomer to Treasure Hunting! Looking for a cheap(er) metal detector...

briderx

Jul 10, 2011
Hey guys, just wanted to post on here that I've been browsing your site for a couple weeks now. Been looking for a decent priced detector to scout around my area with. I have already talked to a couple disapproving friends who have instantly stated their "skepticism" for treasure hunting. I explained to them that I'm not looking to make money doing it, nor am I looking for Captain Jack Sparrow's lost booty, although, finding something like that would be cool.. I just LOVE history, outdoors and finding cool stuff that's not mine.. So, I'm joining the hunt.

About Me:
I lost my job a few months ago and have started up my own business doing computer repair. I live in Gig Harbor and love it here. There isn't a TON of history of this place, but there's enough to warrant my want to search.

I've done some research on metal detectors, but usually end up confused on which ones are gimmicks and which are legit. The pricing structure seems totally out of whack, as one extra toggle switch raises the price by a hundred or two.. I don't want to buy something that I'll want to upgrade as soon I realize what I'm doing, and have to go back to all the spots I've checked already, thinking I hadn't done it right. So, can anyone here point me in the right direction? I'm selling some stuff on CraigsList now to pay for it (being out of a job, it's hard to justify the $$$). Any info would help! Thank you!

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
I have a Tesoro Silver uMax and it's really a decent little rig. They are pretty low priced. Bowen's in Spokane sells them for about $250 (incl shipping). I found mine on Craigslist for $100. It had some issues. I sent it in and they repaired it free of charge.

If money isn't too terribly tight I would look into an xterra 705. They review well (check out the minelab section here on Tnet) and aren't too terribly expensive. Woodland detectors has an incredible reputation here and could likely get you into one for around $700.

Good luck with your new hobby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread