Headed to Bebee River Bridge Campground then Little Naches - suggestions?

TheBlueMax

Jul 31, 2011
Stanwood, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I grew up metal detecting as a kid and just bought a Garrett Ace 350. My kids are 6 & 8 and we are headed to the Orondo / Chelan Falls area for a week then pulling stake and headed into the Little Naches for a week of camping/detecting/elk scouting. There were some major road closures recently in the Little Naches and we need to put some time establishing new Elk Camp areas.

If anyone has detected in those area's, I would love to hear from you.

Also, it is unreasonable to think the Ace 350 could sniff out a small nugget in streams?

I've read up on the ethics of our hobby, WA laws and am excited to show my family the right way.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
You should get together a practice selection of items that you can use for testing your MD. A selection of clad and silver coins, rings, bottle caps, nails, etc will work. You place the items in your grass or garden and then experiment with your metal detector. You will quickly be able to determine the minimum sizes and maximum depth for various types of targets.

You will be hard pressed to find placer gold large enough in Washington State streams to be found with your 350.

OP
OP
TheBlueMax

TheBlueMax

Jul 31, 2011
Stanwood, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks lgadbois and already have my stash out and am waiting for the UPS man in a few days.

I've been invited to a friends private property to hunt an area they used to lease to a few sluece box guys in eastern WA. They dug and shook material for 3 yrs making some headway but they were hard pressed for the big nuggets sometimes leaving real small stuff for a later point. Well they never returned and my friends just want to see what they left......am eager to see what I can find and if need be, upgrade later in the season to a more substantial unit.

For now, I am really excited to get my Ace 350 shaking.

Cheers!

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Most of the gold found in Washington State has been from hardrock deposits.

Placer gold can be found most everywhere in the State, including Puget Sound beach sands. Most of it is flour gold and very small pickers. Rivers in Eastern Washington have better size gold. The largest placer nuggets reported were found around Liberty. Some large nuggets were found years ago in the mountains East of Blewett.

I once knew a guy that found a good spot on the Beckler River (North of Snohomish). He showed me a Alka Seltzer bottle about half full of corn sized nuggets. He panned them, but they were big enough to be found by a modern detector. The Miller River and the North Fork of the Tolt River have also had some good pay streaks.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread