Kittitas / Ellensburg Newbie

CorrieVO

May 13, 2013
Just moved to the area and am curious how to begin rock hunting, as I hear Kittitas County in general and northwest Ellensburg in particular have a lot of neat rocks, agates, chalcedony, crystals, geodes, petrified wood, and thunder eggs. To me a rock still looks like a rock, so I'd love to find some local folk to go out on a trip or two with who could show me what to look for! Any advice? Tips?

May 16, 2014
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much to it you just have to get out there & start looking! I've already been out a few times this year & found a few nice pieces of Ellensburg Blue! Rock N Tomahawk Ranch is located at 2590 Upper Green Canyon Rd in Ellensburg, WA. If you've never been before call Bernice & schedule an appointment at (509) 962-2403 & she'll get you started & send you on your way to finding Ellensburg's beautiful blue stone. It's $5 every visit you make, but eventually when you start finding some good pieces you won't mind the small fee. Happy Hunting to ya!

Jjhall68

Jun 23, 2014
NW Washington
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector heavy weight, Gold Cube, Blue bowl, Garrett, 2" Keene dredge.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the info for the miner's rally just up the road in Liberty, WA. It's a lot of fun and last year there were folks there that were giving talks on local collecting. There is a lot of summer between now and then and you are in a great area so you might want to grab one of the WA collecting guides in the mean time.
August 22-24, 2014
Liberty, Washington
2014 PNW Miners Rally
Free to the Public
- Educational Presentations and Lectures
- Hands-on Equipment Demonstrations
- Tour Historic Liberty, WA
- Observe an Operating Arrastra
- Visit nearby Gemstone Sites
- Prospecting & Mining Associations & Clubs
- Metal Detector Night Hunt
- Food Available Onsite
- Raffle for Great Prizes
- Free Camping (dry)
- Lodging and Restaurants available nearby
Complimentary copies of ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal will be available.
Phone: Wayne Whitehall (509)784-1077

All the Best
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread