Prospecting on beaches

kikinit247

Dec 20, 2013
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am getting confused on regulations for prospecting on beaches. I understand that some coastal beaches are open to prospecting. I also understand that you need a permit(JARPA?) Do you need a permit to simply collect sand to process at home or to pan? Is it legal to collect sand or process through a recirculating sluice on any of the Puget Sound beaches? I tried emailing these questions to the proper authority and failed repeatedly due to a technical glitch in their website. Also, being new to prospecting here locally, if you would rather not share info for the whole world to see I will check my PM's.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this topic.

K/247

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All Ocean coastal beaches in Wash. are open with the exception of Indian reservations and National park lands. Yes, you need to have a jarpa with you to do it but they're free and good for 5 years I believe. I have no idea about Puget Sound. Ocean beaches are limited to 10 sq ft of riffle or recovery area. I use the Gold Cube 4 stack and always get a pinch or 2 from the black sand deposits.

Last edited:

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
Mike is correct HPA for Coastal beaches its free go to dwf.wa.gov print out the forms and mail it in make sure you check all the boxes in the equipment section so you can use any form of recovery.

Now Puget Sound beaches are another story. You will most likely get the run around and miss information. I have tried to ask permission from the local governments in the areas I wish to prospect and have found its easier to ask forgiveness then it is to ask permission no one knows what your talking about and they dont care to understand. Thats just my experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions