2 questions

tony04

Jan 23, 2015
Morton wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher f4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got into gold panning. I've tried a couple different locations, but no success yet. Loads of pyrite though! So i started doing research for gold bearing areas. I'm having a hard time finding info on areas that have already been claimed and unclaimed areas. I live in Morton so the McCoy creek area is pretty close. Is there some place online I can find this info? Last thing I want to do is start panning on someone else's claim. Hopefully I can find a place i can take my family to and get them in on it too.

2nd question. After doing loads of research online, I discovered the mining history around here and thought it would be fun to take my metal detector out to search for relics at old mine sites. It it legal for me to do this if someone has a claim in that location? Thanks in advance!

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1) Join the club that has access to the Mccoy creek claims like Bedrockprospectors out of Puyallup. A great site that is up to date is Active WA claims map -- You can donate or choose not to but it's a good site that shows all the placer and lode claims and their approximate locations. Also, try Waddell Creek near Olympia.

2) I wouldn't be metal detecting for anything on someone else's claim regardless if it was technically legal or not..

freflite

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2011
Jonesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
No matter where you live, if there is gold in your area, you should immediately join the Gold Prospectors Club of America(GPAA). With something less than $100/year they give you a membership kit , which includes a gold pan etc, but also a state by state claims guide that they own claims on. Now, to be sure, other members will be using the claim as well, but at least you don't have to worry about getting permission to pan or dredge or whatever. I'm not saying you will find the motherload, but at least it's in the gold bearing areas of your state. The other thing that is free with membership is FREE camping for the whole family on the claims. And you get to keep what you find totally. Also free metal detecting on the claims. A lot of bang for the buck. Good luck, freflite

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be wrong but GPAAs nearest claim is on the backside of Crystal Mountain. I think the OP was wanting access to local claims near Morton. I have never been to the prospecting shop in Packwood but they would be a good place to ask as well.

OP
OP
T

tony04

Jan 23, 2015
Morton wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher f4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your help! I've searched all of the Washington prospecting clubs I could find but not one of them listed any local claims. As of now I'm not willing to drive a long distance to go panning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread