Info on WA State Parks

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT

Oldhouse1890

Apr 14, 2009
My Wife and I went down to Long Beach this week and I asked around about authorization to MD. They directed me to the State Park Ranger. We went down there and he issued us a permit to MD in the parks and beach area all the way up Long Beach. No problems, and they were very nice. Be sure to register, though.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Kilika and I detected Lake Osoyoos and filled out a card at the ranger station. I hunted a park on Rufus Lake and Lake Alt with no permit required. I asked the two Rangers at the local County Fair about the inconsistencies in permit policies, they had no specific answer. One stated that I should turn in all items found so they can find the owner...not. See what happens now with Lake Osoyoos and Lake Alta not being controlled under Washington State due to drastic budget cuts.

Has the budget cuts effected any of the parks over on the west side of the mountain?

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 566
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 579
OP
OP
K

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
The only thing I've heard are vague rumours that "parks will be shut down" due to budget cuts, but have not yet heard anything about which ones. Anybody know what happens to these public lands if/when the parks are 'shut down'? It's still public land... so I would assume we could still go on them. Just won't be any TP in the toilets! (I expect they would lock the buildings, but we should still have access to the land, wouldn't we?)

Just a heads up... Cama Beach State Park is the only one so far that I've been told - "No MD'ing" - on account of it's also a National Historical Place. But the Ranger also told me I could "go right down the road about 4 miles to Camano Island State Park, it's OK there". Sure, if you're looking for about a million bazillion pull tabs and bottle caps! Bah humbug! :D

HH - Kilika

oldfireguy

Feb 28, 2009
Puyallup, Wash.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, 5900 & Eagle II
The ones that have shut down before just get shut down. They lock the gate and post them. State & Feds still maintain control of the land but I'm not sure of the ability for the public to use it. My guess is that if they close it and lock the gate they don't want anyone in there but I would call the state and federal lands people to find out for sure.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Detecting isn't allowed at Fort Casey on Whidbey Island. It has something to do with the history of the site so make sure you find out whether it's considered a historical park or not first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread