Please point me in the right direction

Mkzak

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Unless you are an expert, you will have trouble panning colors in the Nooksack. A better approach would be beach panning or sluicing. Find an area where natural tidal action has classified the beach sand to a black color. Where you find black sand you will find very fine flour gold.

The best panning areas are those where gold has been mined in the past. Clubs have properties along the Sultan and Skykomish Rivers. You need to pick up a copy of the rule book at a Ranger Station. Check out the club postings on this website.

OP
OP
M

Mkzak

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would I need expert skill? Is it flour gold? I appreciate any info. I have a small bucket of black sands from the south Nooksack and have been processing by classifying, using a sluice and then finish panning. I am finding heavy black sands and once clearing with a magnet, am left with what looks like yellow pollen. Any help would be appreciated.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Mkzak: Do a search on "Nooksack River" using the search field at the top of the page. There are some members that have panned and sluiced all three forks of the river.

There is a lot to know about what seems to be a simple process of concentrating sand to find the gold. If you enjoy it as a hobby, you may not mind the work involved to become successful.

Suggestions:
1. Never go out alone. It is easy to fall and get hurt
2. Wait till the river levels drop. The best prospecting comes later in the Summer when you have good access to boulder drops.
3. Some of the best sand will not be found in the river, but in benches that are located above modern day stream levels.
4. Join a club like GPAA or WGPA
5. Get the Fish & Game pamphlet that explains the seasonal restrictions due to fish spawning. It is your permit for legal sluicing

Good luck!

OP
OP
M

Mkzak

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the tips! I appreciate it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread