Understanding rules

jasonw77

Dec 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just getting into metal detecting, doing a lot of research on what I want and where I can go in the state of WA. But can't really seem to find straight forward answers on things like, can you detect on all beaches say like during low tide? I have found some areas require a form that gets filled out and you carry it with you, but want about areas not list. Are these not able to be searched? What type of parks can I search, I realize this is a lot to ask but I really don't want to issue for others who metal detect. Any help with this would be great thanks

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I'm just getting into metal detecting, doing a lot of research on what I want and where I can go in the state of WA. But can't really seem to find straight forward answers on things like, can you detect on all beaches say like during low tide? I have found some areas require a form that gets filled out and you carry it with you, but want about areas not list. Are these not able to be searched? What type of parks can I search, I realize this is a lot to ask but I really don't want to issue for others who metal detect. Any help with this would be great thanks

WA state's laws on beach access and trespassing are a basket case. I'm not even comfortable answering these questions publicly.

In general, private property extends to the low tide line, state parks may allow metal detecting (and will generally restrict it to certain areas of a given park), county and municipal parks have their own (and usually different) rules, and private property requires permission. However, this is not legal advice and I'm not a lawyer, and reality does not always adhere to the law. I'd encourage you to do your own research into the laws here.

For myself, I don't trespass and I've never had a problem.

OP
OP
J

jasonw77

Dec 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WA state's laws on beach access and trespassing are a basket case. I'm not even comfortable answering these questions publicly.

In general, private property extends to the low tide line, state parks may allow metal detecting (and will generally restrict it to certain areas of a given park), county and municipal parks have their own (and usually different) rules, and private property requires permission. However, this is not legal advice and I'm not a lawyer, and reality does not always adhere to the law. I'd encourage you to do your own research into the laws here.

For myself, I don't trespass and I've never had a problem.
Dave, thanks for the information. I will continue to do research around my area. But i truly appreciate the reply

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Jason, I have found county parcel maps to be a great resource for figuring out who owns land. As Dave said, many beaches are private property to the low tide line, but not all.

If you Google the name of your county and "Parcel Viewer" it should let you look at land plot by plot to see who owns it. Some beaches are public land or owned by the local municipality. If they are public access and metal detecting is not prohibited, you should be good to go. Fill in your holes, take your trash out, don't be an eyesore and you should be fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread