newbie in Seattle area...any thoughts on a detector for this area

Ciilver

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2008
I would be interested in going to the beach, old timber camps and maybe local parks for pratice. I love e-baying and have seen some new MDs for good prices but don't know enough to make a decent decision. As far as price range, I would spend up to $500 or so...what I would rather not do is spend $200 or so then after getting experience wishing that I had spent a bit more right off the bat. Yet I am a cheap bastard and if I can get a deal (aka e-bay) then I am all for it!

Thaks ahead of time...

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ciilver said:
I would be interested in going to the beach, old timber camps and maybe local parks for pratice. I love e-baying and have seen some new MDs for good prices but don't know enough to make a decent decision. As far as price range, I would spend up to $500 or so...what I would rather not do is spend $200 or so then after getting experience wishing that I had spent a bit more right off the bat. Yet I am a cheap #@!$%#@! and if I can get a deal (aka e-bay) then I am all for it!

Thaks ahead of time...

I suggest you try one out first. there is one MD club in the seattle area I know of, i'm sure you could go along on one of their outtings and they would let you try a few machines. If nothing else we can meet up at Greenlake one day and you can try mine out.

Personally I use a White's XLT. It's good for parks/timber camps/yards/etc. but it's NOT very good for saltwater beaches. For that you really need a Pulse Induction detector. (I'm saving up for one now)

Up here in Seattle i'd say you're better off with a good all-around detector.

As to price I would say expect to spend 700$ used. If you decide not to stick with the hobby good MDs keep their resale value well. (I bought my XLT used about 8 years ago, still going strong.)

I don't know about other makes/models, but most folks go by price as a general guide to quality. (IE. You get what you pay for)

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
Check out the Tesoro line. They have a lot of good write ups and have a lifetime warranty. There will be a Gold and Treasure show at the Chelan County Fairgrounds April 26th. & 27th. with a lot of info and vendors for questions on a lot of different detectors. Good luck. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
C

Ciilver

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2008
Thank you for the replys...I have been reading and reading

I doubt that I will get over to Chelan but I will look into local MD groups that Lasivian brought up. I am sure we will see each other around now that you moved back up to the Seattle area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread