juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the trip went well. No significant finds this time, but all of us had a great time. We spent several hours wandering and swingin, and diggin. The entire area is loaded with scrap from the previous camp. Some foundations are still visible, along with some of the old rail line. We had a great guide, who lived and worked at Grisdale for 18 years. His memory was a bit fuzzy at times but the stories were well worth the trip. We will be planning another trip for the near future. Here are a couple of pics to enjoy. The lovely gal with the hitch in her step is my wife Kellee. She hobbled all over Grisdale even though she is due for hip replacement. Now that is some kind of T Hunter.

Attachments

• grisdale_truck_08.jpg
    grisdale_truck_08.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 4,267
  • grisdale_#2_08.jpg
    grisdale_#2_08.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,718
  • grisdale_08.jpg
    grisdale_08.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,530

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of truck is that? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lasttoknow (Tim) said:
What kind of place was it? Looks like a good time...
Camp Grisdale was one of the last of the logging camps here in Washington state. It was established in 1946 and in the late 80's it was returned to nature. Only scrap and a few foundations remain. We had a great time.

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
aa battery said:
Not sure of the make on the truck. One of the guys seemed to think maybe a Studibaker.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
juju said:
aa battery said:
Not sure of the make on the truck. One of the guys seemed to think maybe a Studibaker.
All i know is that is a shame the truck is so messed up it could of been rare or homemade..aa

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2
I was there a year or two ago with my sons. I remember that truck, and the concrete loading dock (that's the one by the old train tracks?). I was lucky enough to run in to a guy that was there looking for the house he grew up in as a kid. He gave me a bit of info when he saw me swinging my detector. We were only there for a day trip, and by the time we met the guy there wasn't much time left for detecting, but I have some ideas for the next trip. Did you get a chance to check out the entrance to the building that was used for a dance hall on Friday/Saturdays? I know where it is, but didn't get a chance to detect it, like I said it was getting late, but I figure guys go outside to smoke, and with a couple drinks in them, drop a little pre-65 change, etc. I'd also like to check around where the bachelor barracks used to be (about 100 yrds from the truck). I figure bachelors + whisky = dropped goodies.
He also told me where they used to swim in the creek that runs next to the camp, and where the school house used to be. I went to the school site, but time was short and I found only nails/scrap in the short half hour I had to check it out. I spent 90% of the day doing recon and 10% using my MD.

I'm pretty close to you (Gig Harbor area) and have some local spots that look promising I want to hit this summer (pre-1900's), if your interested in putting our heads together at Griswald or somewhere around here let me know.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
god what a motley cruw .........great pic of the Brothers

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tank69 said:
god what a motley cruw .........great pic of the Brothers
Missin your ugly mug though. Take care brother.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

sgloki

Dec 1, 2009
This was a fun find for me while googling around looking for info to show the GF on Grisdale.

Back in the late 70's early 80's when grisdale shut down for good my Grand dad and Father did a majority of the clean up. My brother and I have some of the old circular saw blades, a set of 50 gallon coffee percolators used to keep the loggers awake, and a variety of old logging memorabilia.

We've got some very rare old aluminum body chainsaws, and god knows what else all stored. Some of it will eventually be auctioned off, some will be donated to museums, and some will be kept as heirlooms. I think we have the largest circular saw blade left in Wa, aside from a few donated to the state by my family. Lake Sylvia state park in Montesano WA was donated by my family long before I was born. Interested parties can go below the dam on the 5 mile loop and see many of the old artifacts left in the woods to rust.

I'd love to share some pictures but I am a few hundred miles from the storage area, perhaps if my brother can get a few I'll share the "treasure" (antique) photos.

caseyday38

Apr 10, 2011
JuJu said:
Well the trip went well. No significant finds this time, but all of us had a great time. We spent several hours wandering and swingin, and diggin. The entire area is loaded with scrap from the previous camp. Some foundations are still visible, along with some of the old rail line. We had a great guide, who lived and worked at Grisdale for 18 years. His memory was a bit fuzzy at times but the stories were well worth the trip. We will be planning another trip for the near future. Here are a couple of pics to enjoy. The lovely gal with the hitch in her step is my wife Kellee. She hobbled all over Grisdale even though she is due for hip replacement. Now that is some kind of T Hunter.
what did you find there

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was a fun trip! Grisdale is in Mason Co., near Humptulips I'm lead to believe.

"Another" website mentioned a movie theater, too.

All three photos shamelessly ripped from "another" website. I thought They'd be nice for a little research material.

Attachments

• Grisdale1970.jpg
    Grisdale1970.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 3,473
  • Grisdale2.jpg
    Grisdale2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 3,238
  • Grisdale.jpg
    Grisdale.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 3,576

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread