jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several petroglyphs in Wyoming and Boone counties, West Virginia, long-identified as random Indian doodling with little message content, may actually be Celtic Ogham writing. Translations of the petroglyphs reveal several Christian messages, as in the segment illustrated below. Based upon the style of the Ogham, these petroglyphs may have been chiseled some time between the early Sixth and late Eighth centuries. The Ogham writers may have been Irish monks who, after the fashion of St. Brendan, sailed west from Europe during this period.

An ancient language form that originated in the North African area of our most ancient civilizations has been studied by Nyland (2001). He found that Ogam inscriptions found in North America seem to be closely related to the ancient language, which is being called Saharan. It appears that the Basque language is a close relative to the original Saharan. Following is a discussion of the translation of the Horse Creek Petroglyph:

http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/bronze/westva.htm

Barry Fell is not the only one who attempted to translate the purported ogham (ogam) Horse Creek petroglyph of southern West Virginia.

A Disagreement Translating the Horse Creek Petroglyph

http://cwva.org/ogam_rebutal/two_translations.html

New England Antiquities Research Association
http://cwva.org/ogam_rebutal/lesser_cult_arch.html

Last edited:

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Based upon the style of the Ogham, these petroglyphs may have been chiseled some time between the early Sixth and late Eighth centuries. The Ogham writers may have been Irish monks who, after the fashion of St. Brendan, sailed west from Europe during this period.

And to think...they are still teaching the kiddies that Columbus discovered America ::) :icon_scratch:

Gasman

Feb 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lived my whole life just across the river from the mouth of horse creek.played and fished and camped at these writings and have always been told from my elders that this was the story of the birth of Christ.quite a few Indian caves as we called them not far from this.Columbus never discovered nothing,just got credit for it.

radiobob

Greenie
Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old thread, but I'm in Boone and I had no idea about this. I knew there are mounds in Charleston, but this is pretty cool.

Bob

c.d.

Feb 2, 2015
WV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, I live in Wayne county. There were many mounds along the river in and around Huntington. Most were destroyed years ago but there is one inside Camden park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread