Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
I've had some interest in the general area for a while, but health and lack of time hasn't got me much farther than researching the areas. With that in mind, you can't be talking about much more than very small skirmishes, campsites and outposts, especially at Hilton Villiage and the surrounding area. Not that there may not be some very interesting things to be found there, I just think it will be a difficult job if you haven't done some serious pinpoint research.

OP
OP
W

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i know where there is about 90 fox holes above the old stone house been wanting to in there and look around but with all the logging i dont know if they cut the timber out where im talking about i guess i need to walk in there and look around when this snow melts off

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
You sure those are fox holes,or graves that were exumed later on ? Rumor has it there are still 13 men in that area that were never located after the war. Then too, you need to make sure you have permission for the area because folks up there are pretty touchy about that stuff. I don't know about current logging activities, but the area was logged extensively back in the 1950's and the off side of the Stone house has been extensively mined ever since then. Stone House WAS a command post at the time LEE was on Big Sewell and the entire area was camped throughout a NASTY winter. They eventually left and went back to Gualey Bridge for lack of supplies.
I'm thinking you'd have better luck following the OLD stone house road up through Clifftop. There's a lot of camped area up there as well as artifacts dealing with the old portion of the mining town and all that. That's the old section of road straight across 41 from the end of Stone house road, up through the woods, past that beaver dam and above the current Clifftop area. There again, permission is a necessity because that land is all under lease to a hunting club. Freddy Tully and his son Mike have control of that. You can locate them on route 41 at the old mine road leading in behind Babcock State Park.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if these are fox holes they are on top of the hill above the stone house its westvaco who owns it i thank. you can park right at that gate going up the hill tords hilton village from rt 41 and walk around that road i havnt been in there since they logged all that in there above 41

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i live at the top of the hill right before ya get to corliss rd next to the new cell tower ive been here all my life im more into hunting for coins but i do love all the history around here my grandma's house use to be a gas station it opened up the same day that rt 60 opened ive found a few old coins in the yard over there

OP
OP
W

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i wish i could find some old home sites that hasnt been dug out around here i cant find much about this area on the net or any old maps

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
Finding maps has been a major problem for me too because I wanted civil war road maps for the old Midlothian turn pike thing, but the only place I turned up anything even close to that was over at the Oak Hill library. I'm not up on any old homesites that haven't been disturbed over the years, HOWEVER, On the road beside FOODLAND.....all the way down to the intersection.....on the left corner was an old company store that was just torn down 3 years ago. I bet there's tons of stuff to be found there, but don't have any idea where to get permission.
On West Vaco property, at least get a wood permit to cover being on the property. Never hurts to keep your tail covered.

evo7011

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wish i could find some old home sites that hasnt been dug out around here i cant find much about this area on the net or any old maps

Im intersted in going with you when the weather permits, Im thinking maybe the next month or two.

OP
OP
W

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
where ya from evo7011

OP
OP
W

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cant wait for this snow to melt i found a 1800's cabin that is still standing to hunt around

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I definitely plan on going to fayette county this spring to hunt for civil war relics, last time I was up there found some .69 cals, WVWildman have you ever hunted the Fayetteville high school? just on the hill above has confederate gun emplacements.

evo7011

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely plan on going to fayette county this spring to hunt for civil war relics, last time I was up there found some .69 cals, WVWildman have you ever hunted the Fayetteville high school? just on the hill above has confederate gun emplacements.

has or had gun emplacements

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well there's houses up there now where they had been.

OP
OP
W

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope never done any hunting on that side of the river. Jm i got permission from my uncle to hunt on his farm in greenbrier county prob find a bunch of relics there

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome you'll definitely find relics up there I gurantee it lots of history, civil war movement and a few skirmishes!

jvance91

Jul 18, 2012
Fairmont, wv
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wish you guys were closer to fairmont/ clarksburg area ive been trying to find some people to get out with, but with this weather its kinda got me stalled lol. hopefully the weather breaks soon and i can get out and swing the detector a little bit. have a few places around my house to try out i have pricketts fort just a mile or so away and there are a bunch of old hand mines around and some old mining camp sites. im more into the history factor of this. so hopefully ill be able to turn something up.

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
HiltonVillage.jpg Oak Hill area here, 15+ years experience and some maps. The only thing I am lacking is time to hunt. Old quad maps from early 1900s is the background green and brown, modern quads are on top

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread