West Virginia

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
This question has been in debate since 1863 is WV the most northern south state or southern most north state. It's a fact that WV Is the western most east state. And its a fact that we joined the north in the Civil War, but the only reasons for that was we were getting back at Virginia for letting us starve while they had big plantations. Another reason we joined the north is when the state took the vote the confederate soldiers were off in the war when the union wasn't. If you look into it MOST the people here fought for the south. I've noticed that people south call us north and people north call us south. What's your opinion?

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
everyone north of the mason dixon line is yankees

labradigger1

Sep 8, 2012
tucker co wv
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, mxt pro, tdi, bullseye II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree w/ wvwildman about mason dixon line. Officially we were a union state, unofficialy most of my area ( north central wv ) were southern sympathizers.

White Akuma

May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proud descendant of a Confederate veteran here. In my opinion WV was definitely one of the states most torn by the war of northern aggression. Although Wv's true stance can be argued till the cows come home, we were the site of numerous atrocities against citizens by both sides for various reasons. Most Union soldiers seen us as Virginian wolves in union clothing, and Confederate troops seen us as part of the breadbasket to help fuel soldiers in the war effort and as such a ready source of whatever needed. I recently read an interesting article in the Jan/Feb 2013 issue of Confederate Veteran magazine that included a lot of information on WV's formation and views on it by union generals and some orders put on civilian women and children feared to be southern sympathizers that frankly shocked me. A very interesting read if you can get it.

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
White Akuma said:
Proud descendant of a Confederate veteran here. In my opinion WV was definitely one of the states most torn by the war of northern aggression. Although Wv's true stance can be argued till the cows come home, we were the site of numerous atrocities against citizens by both sides for various reasons. Most Union soldiers seen us as Virginian wolves in union clothing, and Confederate troops seen us as part of the breadbasket to help fuel soldiers in the war effort and as such a ready source of whatever needed. I recently read an interesting article in the Jan/Feb 2013 issue of Confederate Veteran magazine that included a lot of information on WV's formation and views on it by union generals and some orders put on civilian women and children feared to be southern sympathizers that frankly shocked me. A very interesting read if you can get it.

That's another interesting thing I forgot to mention. In the Civil War West Virginia had a northern AND southern infantry both stationed here during different times.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Western part of the state was mostly Confederate sympathizers and many regiments were formed in my area.

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
JmCraz8 said:
Western part of the state was mostly Confederate sympathizers and many regiments were formed in my area.

Most of the state was confederate sympathizers but since we were a union state we had many union soldiers.

mapsiam

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
South! Although I must say we tend to be the Yankees of the south! LOL but then I'm in the part of the state left in because if we were left as part of Virginia (which would have been logical if you look at maps) the B&O made us part of our great state.....but I say I am a proud southerner from the BEST state, of West BY GOD Virginia!

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
South! Although I must say we tend to be the Yankees of the south! LOL but then I'm in the part of the state left in because if we were left as part of Virginia (which would have been logical if you look at maps) the B&O made us part of our great state.....but I say I am a proud southerner from the BEST state, of West BY GOD Virginia!

No better put!!!

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my mind I always took the position that WV was a border state, but I guess that is not totally true since officially the state broke off from Virginia to support the North. I feel more like a southerner since I am conservative in my views.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
A BIG, BIG, BIG PROBLEM IS ALL THESE DANG OUT OF STATERS DUE TO THE PIPELINE!!!
Their is nothing wrong with coming in or going out of state for work but be respectful to the people and land. I have not met one of these these FLAT LANDERS, JERKS, OR YANKEES that has done either. Most are just rude and jerks.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This question has been in debate since 1863 is WV the most northern south state or southern most north state. It's a fact that WV Is the western most east state. And its a fact that we joined the north in the Civil War, but the only reasons for that was we were getting back at Virginia for letting us starve while they had big plantations. Another reason we joined the north is when the state took the vote the confederate soldiers were off in the war when the union wasn't. If you look into it MOST the people here fought for the south. I've noticed that people south call us north and people north call us south. What's your opinion?

Something to think about...........When I worked in the North, a transplant from SC called me a Yankee. I said wait a minute, I was born and raised South of the Mason Dixon line. He asked how far South. My reply was, "about 30 miles". He smiled and said that is not far enough. Then laughed. He was just having fun, but also spoke some truth about his feelings. After having lived in the Deep South for a number of years, I understand how Southerners really feel.

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
Something to think about...........When I worked in the North, a transplant from SC called me a Yankee. I said wait a minute, I was born and raised South of the Mason Dixon line. He asked how far South. My reply was, "about 30 miles". He smiled and said that is not far enough. Then laughed. He was just having fun, but also spoke some truth about his feelings. After having lived in the Deep South for a number of years, I understand how Southerners really feel.

See that's just it, we're Yankees to the south and rebels to the north.
So I guess the only thing left to say is, mountaineers are always free!

mapsiam

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
We are as far south as any of Virginia is... Granted we do have a piece of our state above the mason Dixon line lol bit we are as southern as any Virginian can claim to be!

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
everyone north of the mason dixon line is yankees

During a resent study I found out that there is actually no Mason-Dixon Line in WV the marker just marks the county line because they thought it would be a good place for a marker.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread